Johnny Nash, 80, singer ("I Can See Clearly Now")
2020-10-06 23:16:18 UTC
https://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2020/10/06/johnny-nash-i-can-see-clearly-now-singer-dies-at-age-80/
Johnny Nash, ‘I Can See Clearly Now’ Singer, Dies At Age 80
By CBSLA Staff
October 6, 2020 at 3:58 pm

LOS ANGELES (CBSLA) — Johnny Nash, an American reggae and pop music singer-songwriter, best known in the US for the 1972 hit, “I Can See Clearly Now,” died Tuesday at his home, his son confirmed to CBS Los Angeles. He was 80.

Born in Houston, Nash started singing as a child at Progressive New Hope Baptist Church. He made his major label debut in 1957 with the single “A Teenager Sings the Blues.”

His first chart hit was a cover of Doris Day’s “A Very Special Love,” in early 1958, but his claim to fame was the 1972 reggae-influenced single “I Can See Clearly Now.” The single sold over one million copies, reached No. 1 on the Billboard Hot 100 Nov. 4, 1972 and remained atop the chart for four weeks.

After covering Sam Cooke’s “Wonderful World” in 1976 and “Let’s Go Dancing” in 1979, Nash took a step back from the spotlight before releasing the 1986 album “Here Again.”

In May 2006, Nash was reportedly singing at SugarHill Recording Studios and Tierra Studios in Houston and was working to transfer analog tapes of his songs from the 1970s and 1980s to digital formats.

©2020 CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Lenona
2020-10-07 01:59:25 UTC
Also known for "Hold Me Tight" and "Tears on My Pillow."

In the meantime:

Or, if you prefer this version:

Terry del Fuego
2020-10-07 12:35:19 UTC
Post by Lenona
Also known for "Hold Me Tight"
That's the one I remember from childhood. Time to digitize the reel.
Bermuda999
He also released his cover of Marley's "Stir It Up". the first version to hit the U.S.
Terry del Fuego
2020-10-10 13:52:36 UTC
On Fri, 9 Oct 2020 18:00:59 -0700 (PDT), Bermuda999
Post by Bermuda999
He also released his cover of Marley's "Stir It Up". the first version to hit the U.S.
I'm looking at the back cover of the reel of the "Hold Me Tight"
(1968) album and am suprised to see two songs credited to Peter Tosh.

Also just learned about the record label, JAD:
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JAD_Records>
"Formed in 1967 JAD Records was a record label that was co-owned by
Johnny Nash, producer Arthur Jenkins, and businessman Danny Sims,
whose initials formed its logo. JAD Records was the label which signed
Bob Marley, Peter Tosh, Bunny Wailer and Rita Marley to an exclusive
long-term contract as recording artists from 1968 to 1972. Other
notable artists to sign with the label included Johnny Nash himself,
Byron Lee, Neville Willoughby and later Jimmy Cliff."

Arthur Jenkins is not a familiar name to me, but he's credited as
co-producer and co-arranger/conductor.
Ficus Panderota
2020-10-10 16:23:19 UTC
He also sang The Mighty Hercules Cartoon Theme Song:

A Friend
2020-10-10 18:29:46 UTC
Post by Ficus Panderota
http://youtu.be/vQRasr-0hsM
Yes, he did. Here's a higher-quality version: