"Roseanne"
2018-05-29 18:22:17 UTC
Never liked her and never watched her show, but I had a feeling this reboot wasn't going to last very long, despite the ratings.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/roseanne-canceled-at-abc-racist-tweet-1115412

Roseanne' Canceled at ABC Following Racist Tweet

"Roseanne's Twitter statement is abhorrent, repugnant and inconsistent with our values, and we have decided to cancel her show," ABC Entertainment president Channing Dungey said Tuesday. ABC, in a stunning move, has decided to cancel its Roseanne revival following star Roseanne Barr's racist tweet Tuesday.

"Roseanne's Twitter statement is abhorrent, repugnant and inconsistent with our values, and we have decided to cancel her show," ABC Entertainment president Channing Dungey said Tuesday.

Early Tuesday, star, head writer and exec producer Barr attacked former President Obama White House adviser Valerie Jarrett in a since-deleted tweet in which she said "Muslim brotherhood & planet of the apes had a baby=vj." Barr subsequently apologized: "I apologize to Valerie Jarrett and to all Americans. I am truly sorry for making a bad joke about her politics and her looks. I should have known better. Forgive me — my joke was in bad taste."

Walt Disney Co. CEO Bob Iger also weighed in on the decision to cancel Roseanne: "There was only one thing to do here, and that was the right thing," he tweeted.

The tweet prompted a massive outcry across social media, berating Barr and calling on ABC to cancel the comedy. The Disney-owned network's decision to cancel the series marked the first time the network has taken action in response to one of Barr's controversial tweets.

Axing the Roseanne revival was no small decision for ABC. The rebooted comedy debuted its nine-episode run midseason and finished as the TV season's No. 1 scripted series on all of broadcast. Roseanne had been averaging a 5.5 rating among adults 18-49 and 19.3 million viewers with live-plus-three day lifts. With a full week of time-shifting, those numbers climbed to a 6.4 rating in the key demo and 22.1 million viewers. Either way, Roseanne was the highest-rated and most-watched series of the broadcast season, eclipsing NBC's This Is Us and CBS' Big Bang Theory — which had been in a heated battle for top status.

In response to Barr's tweet, co-star and exec producer Sara Gilbert — who was the driving force of the revival — blasted her longtime friend and colleague. "Roseanne’s recent comments about Valerie Jarrett, and so much more, are abhorrent and do not reflect the beliefs of our cast and crew or anyone associated with our show. I am disappointed in her actions to say the least," she wrote on Twitter. "This is incredibly sad and difficult for all of us, as we’ve created a show that we believe in, are proud of, and that audiences love — one that is separate and apart from the opinions and words of one cast member." Wanda Sykes, who served as a consultant on season one, also tweeted Tuesday that she would not be returning to the series following Barr's racist tweet.

Roseanne was slated to return in the fall for an expanded 11th season of 13 episodes as ABC looked to build on the show's momentum. In a victory lap of sorts, Barr was the centerpiece of ABC's upfront presentation to Madison Avenue ad buyers earlier this month. ABC rebooted Roseanne as part of a push to program to middle America — aka Trump America. The revival was part of a larger effort by Dungey — broadcast's lone African-American network topper — to porgram to the underserved community who turned out in force to elect Trump. The success of the Roseanne revival has prompted other broadcast networks to pick up a wave of multicamera comedies in a larger push to program to middle America.

Roseanne, both in its rebooted season as in its original run, has never shied away from taking on topical and controversial subjects. The May 22 season finale set the stage to explore a larger debate about healthcare in America. Roseanne has not shied away from topical issues facing the working class. Like the spirit of the original run, which had a history of addressing larger political and social issues, the revival famously opened its new season with an episode that explored the country's divisive response to President Trump, whom Barr has publicly supported. The storyline between Roseanne and her sister, Jackie (Laurie Metcalf), was designed to reflect the debate among Trump's working-class base and spur a larger discussion.

The reboot also found itself under the microscope earlier this season when a one-off joke taking aim at fellow ABC comedies Black-ish and Fresh Off the Boat was blasted as being "reductive" and "belittling."

For his part, showrunner Bruce Helford stressed ahead of and during the Roseanne revival that he hoped viewers would be able to separate the show from Barr's politics. "We never set out to be a show about politics. We set out to be a show about the Conners and how the current political climate affects the family," he told The Hollywood Reporter. "We made a point of not mentioning names in the beginning and I believe we will probably maintain that same thing. There is no agenda here, in any direction. The idea is to present all sides of the dialogue. Making it specific like that isn't necessary. That's not what we're doing. We're not talking about the personalities involved. We're talking about the effects of all the politics on the lives of people like the Conners." Helford served as showrunner on an early season of Roseanne before he was fired by the actress. He was poised to return as season 11's lone showrunner after Whitney Cummings opted to not return.

ABC's decision to cancel Roseanne leaves the network with a major hole on its schedule as the series was set to open its Tuesday lineup at 8 p.m. ABC now heads into the 2018-19 broadcast season without TV's No. 1 series and without prolific showrunner Shonda Rhimes, who exited last year for a deal with Netflix.
c***@aol.com
2018-05-29 19:00:09 UTC
She always implode.
Michael OConnor
2018-05-29 19:45:37 UTC
I think I knew all along that she was going to say something or tweet something that would ruin everything. I think we've seen the last of her on network TV, but I think somebody like Netflix might give her a project.

"Roseanne" was the highest rated scripted series of the season, and cancelled by the network. The Smothers Brothers show was cancelled in the late 60's because of it's satirical and political humor, and according to IMDB.com was a top ten series at the time CBS canned it, so there is a historical precedent. I can't think of any other top ten shows that were cancelled by the network. When CBS got rid of The Beverly Hillbillies, Green Acres, etc. after the 1970-71 season, were any of them top ten shows?
A Friend
2018-05-29 20:27:15 UTC
Post by Michael OConnor
I think I knew all along that she was going to say something or tweet
something that would ruin everything. I think we've seen the last of her on
network TV, but I think somebody like Netflix might give her a project.
"Roseanne" was the highest rated scripted series of the season, and cancelled
by the network. The Smothers Brothers show was cancelled in the late 60's
because of it's satirical and political humor, and according to IMDB.com was
a top ten series at the time CBS canned it, so there is a historical
precedent. I can't think of any other top ten shows that were cancelled by
the network. When CBS got rid of The Beverly Hillbillies, Green Acres, etc.
after the 1970-71 season, were any of them top ten shows?
No. The Beverly Hillbillies and Green Acres had both fallen out of the
Top 30 by 1970-71. (They were still winning their timeslots, though.)
Red Skelton's variety show had been cancelled the year before by CBS,
when it was still #7 for the season. The show went to NBC and soon
dropped out of the Top 30, and was cancelled after that season. One
big problem was that the Prime Time Access Rule went into effect in
1971. The rule required that the networks surrender the 7:30-8:00
timeslot to their affiliates (except for Sundays), which meant that
each net had to cancel three hours of programming per week. The oldest
stuff went first.

Bridget Loves Bernie was cancelled by CBS after one very successful
season (1972-73) because some thought the depiction of a Jewish man
marrying an Irish Catholic woman was objectionable. (The complaints
were louder from the Jewish community than any other.) The show was #5
in the ratings for its single season. BTW the intermarriage rate in
the U.S. was 35% in 1970-74 and gradually rose to 58% in 2005-13.

http://www.pewforum.org/2013/10/01/chapter-2-intermarriage-and-other-dem
ographics/

BTW the stars (David Birney and Meredith Baxter) got married in real
life in 1974. This caused some additional controversy until people
realized that Birney himself wasn't Jewish. Their marriage lasted 15
years.
W.C. Green
2018-05-29 19:49:14 UTC
Lots of people fired so ABC can seem virtuous.
Alfalfa Bill
Or it was a business decision.
That Derek
2018-05-29 23:44:18 UTC
Mr. Molehill, may I please introduce you to Mr. Mountain.
u***@aol.com
2018-05-30 01:27:17 UTC
Mr. Molehill, may I please introduce you to Mr. Mountain.
Ah, it was just a matter of time before a blitherer showed up, with a broom in one hand and a rug in the other.
David Carson
2018-05-30 05:26:29 UTC
Post by Michael OConnor
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/roseanne-canceled-at-abc-racist-tweet-1115412
Early Tuesday, star, head writer and exec producer Barr attacked former President Obama White House adviser Valerie Jarrett in a since-deleted tweet in which she said "Muslim brotherhood & planet of the apes had a baby=vj." Barr subsequently apologized: "I apologize to Valerie Jarrett and to all Americans. I am truly sorry for making a bad joke about her politics and her looks. I should have known better. Forgive me — my joke was in bad taste."
Why was she tweeting about Valerie Jarrett? Is there a context to this, or
is it just as random as it sounds?
Kenny McCormack
2018-05-30 05:57:38 UTC
Post by Michael OConnor
Post by Michael OConnor
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/roseanne-canceled-at-abc-racist-tweet-1115412
Early Tuesday, star, head writer and exec producer Barr attacked former
President Obama White House adviser Valerie Jarrett in a since-deleted tweet in
which she said "Muslim brotherhood & planet of the apes had a baby=vj." Barr
subsequently apologized: "I apologize to Valerie Jarrett and to all Americans. I
am truly sorry for making a bad joke about her politics and her looks. I should
have known better. Forgive me — my joke was in bad taste."
Why was she tweeting about Valerie Jarrett? Is there a context to this, or
is it just as random as it sounds?
Trumpers (*) are like that. Pick a random target and start bashing.

(*) Starting wtih the orange baboon himself.

Oh, and, in case you hadn't noticed, she's ... black.
--
Debating creationists on the topic of evolution is rather like trying to
play chess with a pigeon --- it knocks the pieces over, craps on the
board, and flies back to its flock to claim victory.
c***@aol.com
2018-05-30 11:11:22 UTC
Apparently she was on one of those crazy conspiracy websites and one thing led to another and she got to Valerie Jarrett.
l***@fl.it
2018-05-30 12:30:23 UTC
Post by c***@aol.com
Apparently she was on one of those crazy conspiracy websites and one thing led to another and she got to Valerie Jarrett.
I remember her singing the Stars and Stripes at a baseball (think it
was baseball) game and offending everyone when she thought it was
funny to 'screech' it.

Maybe she will now learn sometimes there are consequences.
c***@aol.com
2018-05-30 13:13:09 UTC
5 years ago she said Susan Rice had “ape balls.” Apparently ABC had no problem with that one.
Guilty Bastard
2018-06-02 01:58:51 UTC
Was she working for ABC when she said that?
c***@aol.com
2018-06-02 03:33:10 UTC
What difference does that make? ABC knew she was a racist when they hired her.
Terry del Fuego
2018-05-30 12:51:48 UTC
Post by Kenny McCormack
Trumpers (*) are like that. Pick a random target and start bashing.
"By the way, George Soros is a nazi who turned in his fellow Jews 2 be
murdered in German concentration camps & stole their wealth-were you
aware of that?" Roseanne, yesterday.
Guilty Bastard
2018-06-03 19:43:28 UTC
Post by Terry del Fuego
Post by Kenny McCormack
Trumpers (*) are like that. Pick a random target and start bashing.
"By the way, George Soros is a nazi who turned in his fellow Jews 2 be
murdered in German concentration camps & stole their wealth-were you
aware of that?" Roseanne, yesterday.
I was on her Twitter account and last I saw she was asking people to
help her get her show back but Sara Gilbert wants to do a spinoff
without her.
Kenny McCormack
2018-06-03 20:14:00 UTC
Post by Guilty Bastard
Post by Terry del Fuego
Post by Kenny McCormack
Trumpers (*) are like that. Pick a random target and start bashing.
"By the way, George Soros is a nazi who turned in his fellow Jews 2 be
murdered in German concentration camps & stole their wealth-were you
aware of that?" Roseanne, yesterday.
I was on her Twitter account and last I saw she was asking people to
help her get her show back but Sara Gilbert wants to do a spinoff
without her.
Personally, I don't understand why they cancelled the show instead of just
firing her. Why not re-write the show saying that Roseanne Conner (i.e.,
the character) died? Come up with something imaginiative. Maybe she died
getting trampled at a Trump rally?

Then go on as before.

Of course, Sara Gilbert's plan may have the same general effect/outcome.
--
The key difference between faith and science is that in science, evidence that
doesn't fit the theory tends to weaken the theory (that is, make it less likely to
the assumption that Satan is testing you - trying to make you abandon your faith).
Travoltron
2018-06-03 23:40:24 UTC
Post by Kenny McCormack
Oh, and, in case you hadn't noticed, she's ... black.
Except she isn't though.

Guilty Bastard
2018-05-30 13:38:36 UTC
this news is funnier than the star... which isn't saying much.