Jim Lowe Jr., 73, voice of 'Big Tex'
n***@gmail.com
2019-10-12 15:59:08 UTC
Was he Jim Lowe the singer of "The Green Door" in the late 50's?
Texas Deejay Jim Lowe Jr. Dead at 73
DALLAS (AP) -- Jim Lowe Jr., who for more than four decades operated as the
voice of "Big Tex," the five-story-tall cowboy who welcomed people to the State
Fair of Texas, died Sunday of pancreatic cancer. He was 73.
Lowe also was a longtime radio disc jockey who introduced rhythm and blues
music to Dallas listeners in the 1950s.
For 41 years, Lowe was the familiar voice of Big Tex -- from 1953 to 1980 and
again from 1986 to 1998. Each October, he took vacation from WRR-AM to be
master of ceremonies and manager of big-name music performances at the
Texas State Fair.
Lowe began his radio career in 1947, the same year he graduated from Fort Worth
Paschal High School. He helped launch KXOL as announcer and musical director.
He left Fort Worth in 1950 to join WRR-AM, whose offices were on the state
fairgrounds in Dallas, and spent the next 24 years at the station.
05-30-00 / 08:34 EDT
=L=
I can answer Neal's question, from Jim's own lips. I buttonholed Jim about 1995 at the Texas State Fair, while providing the voice for Big Tex. I asked him exactly that question. "Fair" Jim said, "No, I'm his cousin. And, actually, I get rrrreal tired of being asked that!"
That Derek
2019-10-13 03:21:03 UTC
Here;s a YouTube link to the B-side of NYC DJ/singer JIm Lowe's monster # 1 hit "The Green Door." It's "(The Story of) The Little Man in Chinatown>" ! It's inane and repetitive, but, somehow, infectious. . Warning: it may become an ear-worm.