"Megyn Kelly Today," NBC TV programme
2018-10-27 14:59:50 UTC
https://variety.com/2018/tv/news/nbc-megyn-kelly-today-will-not-return-1202998582/

HOME >TV >News

October 26, 2018 10:27AM PT

NBC Cancels ‘Megyn Kelly Today’

By Brian Steinberg

NBC said Friday that it had cancelled “Megyn Kelly Today,” ending a fizzling experiment that matched an anchor with an outsized presence to a format best known for lighter fare, and indicated it would move its 9 a.m. hour back to a more traditional “Today” format.

Meanwhile, an attorney for Megyn Kelly indicated the anchor and the network remained in negotiations about her future. Kelly “remains an employee of NBC News,”said Bryan Freedman, the lawyer, “and discussions about next steps are continuing.”

Other “Today” co-anchors are expected to host the 9 a.m. hour next week, NBC said. The show’s lead two hours are co-anchored by Savannah Guthrie and Hoda Kotb, with Craig Melvin recently getting a larger presence on the weekday program. Kotb and Kathie Lee Gifford co-anchor the fourth hour of the program. Willie Geist anchors the Sunday broadcast of “Today” and Sheinelle Jones anchors the Saturday broadcast. A new anchor is expected to join her this weekend.

The decision represents an acknowledgment that the Peacock’s big bet on the star anchor to draw new audiences to its news programming was unlikely to bring new rewards. The average audience for “Megyn Kelly Today” stood at around 2.4 million, compared to about 2.8 million who tuned in to watch the hour of “Today” that it succeeded.

Kelly and NBC News executives had been in loose talks to find her a new role, one that would involve her in hard news stories rather than the lighter fare of her morning program, “Megyn Kelly Today.” Those conversations were derailed, however, after Kelly opened Tuesday’s program with a discussion of Halloween costumes and blackface that drew criticism not only on social media, but also from NBC News colleagues including Al Roker and Craig Melvin.

NBC News Chairman Andy Lack addressed this week’s controversy Wednesday at a town hall meeting with news staffers. “There is no other way to put this but I condemn those remarks, there is no place on our air or in this workplace for them. Very unfortunate,” Lack said, according to people present at the meeting. He added: “As we go forward, my highest priority remains, and as we sort through this with Megyn, let there be no doubt that this is a workplace in which you need to be proud and in which we respect each other in all the ways we know is foundational to who we are.”
Michael OConnor
2018-10-27 17:24:52 UTC
When the ratings didn't work out as expected, and the Sunday Night show was cancelled, NBC was looking for a reason to get rid of her, and got rid of her. I hope she gets every penny remaining on the contract, just for the way Al (cough pooped his pants at the White House cough) Roker treated her after she already apologized on national TV. I don't think her remark was offensive as she was asking a rhetorical question, and I am not a fan or hers, but after she already apologized, in my humble opinion, it is not necessary to apologize again to black America, Al.

David Carson
2018-10-28 01:06:04 UTC
She didn't have anything to apologize for.
Michael OConnor
2018-10-28 01:13:26 UTC
This is the United States of the Offended.
l***@yahoo.com
2018-10-30 00:17:11 UTC
Post by David Carson
Post by Michael OConnor
When the ratings didn't work out as expected, and the Sunday Night show was cancelled, NBC was looking for a reason to get rid of her, and got rid of her. I hope she gets every penny remaining on the contract, just for the way Al (cough pooped his pants at the White House cough) Roker treated her after she already apologized on national TV. I don't think her remark was offensive as she was asking a rhetorical question, and I am not a fan or hers, but after she already apologized, in my humble opinion, it is not necessary to apologize again to black America, Al.
She didn't have anything to apologize for.
I respectfully disagree.

I think one way to explain blackface to young people is, it MIGHT be one thing if blackface entertainment had never existed except when a white actor was portraying a real-life individual. Then, maybe, it would be OK to dress like Diana Ross and put on makeup, not just wear a D.R. mask. (I ASSUME a mask is pretty much OK, just as anyone can wear an Obama mask at a costume party.) Unfortunately, demeaning minstrelsy DID exist - as in, "they all look alike and act alike" - and it's wrong to ignore that, just as we can't use swastikas as decorations (with maybe a few Native American-related exceptions) even though the symbol predates the Nazis.

Also, you shouldn't get paid to flaunt your ignorance on TV. Especially when you're supposed to be a highly professional journalist and attorney, not some dimwitted entertainer. Why should network employers have to put up with clueless employees who should know better? Someone has to set a high bar for journalism. We can't allow ourselves to become numb to blatant ignorance; that's obviously dangerous for everyone, but especially the young.

Scott D. Pierce writes: "The real question is — why did NBC hire Megyn Kelly in the first place? Her blackface comments were no surprise."

https://www.sltrib.com/artsliving/2018/10/25/scott-d-pierce-real/

And:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/25/arts/television/megyn-kelly-blackface-nbc.html

By James Poniewozik

Oct. 25, 2018

Excerpts:

"Megyn Kelly, the vaunted and very expensive new addition to NBC’s morning, is gone — for now, and maybe for good — after saying that she didn’t see the big deal about white people wearing blackface.

"Who could have seen this coming, except for anyone who knew anything about her career?

"Kelly went on hiatus from “Megyn Kelly Today” on Thursday, after a Tuesday segment defending white people for wearing dark-pigmented makeup in Halloween costumes — a practice that has a demeaning history going back to the minstrel shows of the 19th century.

"To Kelly, this history was just a bummer, ruining an innocent good time. “What is racist?” she asked. “When I was a kid, that was O.K. as long as you were dressing up as, like, a character.” (Sidebar: I’m a few years older than Megyn Kelly, and it wasn’t. It’s also very much beside the point in 2018.)

"It was jaw-dropping. It was not, however, anything new for Kelly and race — or, for that matter, holidays. In a December 2013 segment of her old Fox News show about racial depictions of Santa Claus, she told “all you kids watching at home” that Santa was definitely white. (She said the same about Jesus, which at minimum is historically debatable.)...

"...I don’t pretend to read minds or hearts. Maybe Kelly truly sees this time that she said something wrong — as opposed to just unwise — and that she genuinely wants to learn, grow and change.

"People can do this. They should perhaps not be paid $17 million a year to do it. Maybe, when it comes to matters as basic as this, the learning part should come first."

(end)

Me: Here's a hint. Just because you might truthfully say "well, my American history teacher never mentioned THAT in all my high school years, so I didn't know about it," that's no excuse not to do your own extra reading before saying anything, even if you aren't a public figure, since it's impossible for teachers to teach everything about American history - or world history, of course. Every year brings more, after all.

I will say I don't regret watching Laurence Olivier play Othello in the 1965 movie - but then, one might argue Othello, as a Moor, likely wouldn't have been sub-Saharan anyway, so why make him THAT black?

More on that, from 2012:

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/ben-arogundade/othello-shakespeare-ethnicity_b_1444790.html

2018-10-30 00:36:53 UTC
Post by l***@yahoo.com
I think one way to explain blackface to young people is, it MIGHT be one thing if blackface entertainment had never existed except when a white actor was portraying a real-life individual. Then, maybe, it would be OK to dress like Diana Ross and put on makeup, not just wear a D.R. mask. (I ASSUME a mask is pretty much OK, just as anyone can wear an Obama mask at a costume party.) Unfortunately, demeaning minstrelsy DID exist - as in, "they all look alike and act alike" - and it's wrong to ignore that,
More on that:

https://www.ksat.com/news/heres-why-blackface-is-so-offensive
RHDraney
2018-10-30 02:16:06 UTC
How about Billy Crystal as Sammy Davis Jr?...r
Michael OConnor
2018-10-30 06:10:01 UTC
Robert Downey Jr. in "Tropic Thunder".
l***@yahoo.com
2018-10-30 15:52:49 UTC
Post by RHDraney
How about Billy Crystal as Sammy Davis Jr?...r
I've been thinking about that quite a bit, these last few days. I WOULD like to hear an explanation of why there was little or no outcry over that, at the time. Maybe it was just because he's such a skilled, acclaimed comedian and everyone knew he respected SDJ?

And, just to clarify something I said: Obviously, even if minstrel shows had never existed, it still wouldn't look right, post-1970 or so, for white actors - even ones on the level of Olivier - to play SERIOUS black fictional characters, since at best, that would suggest that either truly good black actors don't exist and aren't worth searching for, or that racist audiences shouldn't have to tolerate seeing black actors play really substantial roles. (Also, think of Mickey Rooney playing the Japanese character in you-know-what movie - what excuse could there be for that, other than racist humor? Given that the character had little screen time anyway, how hard could it have been to find a reasonably skilled Asian comic actor who could handle the small role?)

2018-10-30 06:23:55 UTC
Post by l***@yahoo.com
Post by David Carson
She didn't have anything to apologize for.
I respectfully disagree.
I think one way to explain blackface to young people is, it MIGHT be one thing if blackface entertainment had never existed except when a white actor was portraying a real-life individual. Then, maybe, it would be OK to dress like Diana Ross and put on makeup, not just wear a D.R. mask. (I ASSUME a mask is pretty much OK, just as anyone can wear an Obama mask at a costume party.) Unfortunately, demeaning minstrelsy DID exist - as in, "they all look alike and act alike" - and it's wrong to ignore that, just as we can't use swastikas as decorations (with maybe a few Native American-related exceptions) even though the symbol predates the Nazis.
First of all, the only connection between wearing dark makeup to make
oneself look more like a specific black celebrity and wearing dark makeup
to put on a minstrel show is the color of the makeup. Other than that,
they are completely different actions, intentions, and results. Reasonable
people ought to evaluate them as such.

Second, if we want white people and black people to get along with each
other, and treat each other with dignity and respect, we can't have them
constantly navigating a verbal minefield, where one misstep and BOOM! you
lose your job. Let's save the public beheadings for when someone speaks
with bad intentions and out of a wicked heart. For the other stuff, we
ought to be able to talk it out and maybe or maybe not reach an
understanding, but either way, shake hands afterward and hope to keep
improving.
Post by l***@yahoo.com
Also, you shouldn't get paid to flaunt your ignorance on TV. Especially when you're supposed to be a highly professional journalist and attorney, not some dimwitted entertainer.
Whatever Megyn Kelly was being paid to do by NBC, it wasn't journalism.
Post by l***@yahoo.com
Why should network employers have to put up with clueless employees who should know better? Someone has to set a high bar for journalism. We can't allow ourselves to become numb to blatant ignorance; that's obviously dangerous for everyone, but especially the young.
The danger for everyone is giving in to the mob's thirst for blood and
feeding it another victim. The mob is never satisfied; each kill only
makes it bolder and more aggressive.

Dead or Alive Data Base
http://www.doadb.com
l***@yahoo.com
2018-10-30 16:13:00 UTC
Post by David Carson
Post by l***@yahoo.com
Also, you shouldn't get paid to flaunt your ignorance on TV. Especially when you're supposed to be a highly professional journalist and attorney, not some dimwitted entertainer.
Whatever Megyn Kelly was being paid to do by NBC, it wasn't journalism.
She probably wasn't being paid for her law skills either, and while the show was at least half-fluff (cooking segments, for one), my point is that even if it was just a talk show, I'd expect someone with her resume not to talk like a teen who thinks "doing research is too haaarrrrd; I shouldn't have to do it!"

(Aside from the Jesus reference above, another thing she probably didn't know is that Santa Claus - that is, St. Nicholas - was from Turkey and, therefore, probably had a swarthy complexion. Besides, if Santa is supposed to be magic, why shouldn't he be played - or portrayed - in any color? How is that all that different from a Santa who can go into any immigrant neighborhood in the U.S. and speak to the kids in their own language - like the Santa in Macy's Department Store in "Miracle on 34th St."? Of course, in that movie, Macy's didn't know their Santa could speak in any language, but they would have been happy to hire a Santa who could do that!)

From Fran Lebowitz (who's also a journalist, btw):

Tips for Teens

“Think before you speak. Read before you think. This will give you something to think about that you didn’t make up yourself – a wise move at any age, but most especially at seventeen, when you are in the greatest danger of coming to annoying conclusions.”

2018-10-30 16:53:28 UTC
Post by l***@yahoo.com
(Aside from the Jesus reference above, another thing she probably didn't know is that Santa Claus - that is, St. Nicholas - was from Turkey and, therefore, probably had a swarthy complexion.
More on that - why not?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/five-myths/five-myths-about-saint-nicholas/2017/12/21/1cad751e-df89-11e7-bbd0-9dfb2e37492a_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.4f270f804995
W.C. Green
2018-10-30 17:00:18 UTC
He was from Lycia, a league of Greek cities in Asia Minor.
W.C. Green
2018-10-30 12:39:07 UTC
Post by l***@yahoo.com
I think one way to explain blackface to young people is, it MIGHT be one thing if blackface entertainment had never existed except when a white actor was portraying a real-life individual. Then, maybe, it would be OK to dress like Diana Ross and put on makeup, not just wear a D.R. mask. (I ASSUME a mask is pretty much OK, just as anyone can wear an Obama mask at a costume party.) Unfortunately, demeaning minstrelsy DID exist - as in, "they all look alike and act alike" - and it's wrong to ignore that, just as we can't use swastikas as decorations (with maybe a few Native American-related exceptions) even though the symbol predates the Nazis.
How many generations must pass before the sins of the long-dead no
longer anger/upset those who did not suffer those actions?
Michael OConnor
2018-10-30 18:52:41 UTC
Post by W.C. Green
Post by l***@yahoo.com
I think one way to explain blackface to young people is, it MIGHT be one thing if blackface entertainment had never existed except when a white actor was portraying a real-life individual. Then, maybe, it would be OK to dress like Diana Ross and put on makeup, not just wear a D.R. mask. (I ASSUME a mask is pretty much OK, just as anyone can wear an Obama mask at a costume party.) Unfortunately, demeaning minstrelsy DID exist - as in, "they all look alike and act alike" - and it's wrong to ignore that, just as we can't use swastikas as decorations (with maybe a few Native American-related exceptions) even though the symbol predates the Nazis.
How many generations must pass before the sins of the long-dead no
longer anger/upset those who did not suffer those actions?
Never. Even if your ancestors weren't even here during the Civil War, today, and forever more it seems, you are held responsible for slavery and everything that is under the umbrella of racism - Jim Crow laws, segregation, the assassination of Martin Luther King, the Simpson murders that were blamed on poor ole innocent OJ, the beating of Rodney King, and the fact that Barack Obama failed to get 100 percent of the tallied votes in the 2008 and 2012 Presidential elections. Oh, I forgot the guy who said "hands up, don't shoot" but never really said "hands up, don't shoot".

I don't see the Jews going after the sons of people who worked at concentration camps that they never caught from World War II and asking them to answer and pay for the actions of their fathers. At some point you have to move on, and look forward, not back.
l***@yahoo.com
2018-11-01 00:44:08 UTC
Post by Michael OConnor
Post by W.C. Green
Post by l***@yahoo.com
[...]
I don't know what you're talking about. I'm white and no one ever blamed ME for the sins of the past in the US.

And re your last sentence: Looking forward shouldn't mean being allowed to forget history. As Michael Moore pointed out in "Where to Invade Next," young Germans certainly aren't allowed to forget - because their baby boomer and Gen X relatives, teachers, etc., don't let them, even though THOSE "old people" clearly weren't around during WWII either. Here's part of that:

It's not about feeling guilty for something you didn't do, IIRC. (It's worth finding the movie to see the whole German segment.)

Lenona.
Travoltron
2018-11-01 01:42:49 UTC
And that collective guilt narrative is working out SO WELL for Germany
these days, isn't it?
l***@yahoo.com
2018-11-03 15:05:37 UTC
Post by Travoltron
And that collective guilt narrative is working out SO WELL for Germany
these days, isn't it?
I just SAID it wasn't about feeling guilty for something one didn't do - or so I gathered from the movie. If people choose to feel that way, it's their fault. "Never forgetting" doesn't have to lead to disaster.

Sure, it's a tricky business for governments to deal with certain crimes without banning everyone from certain countries, but somewhere there has to be a happy medium.

Lenona.

RHDraney
2018-10-28 02:54:42 UTC
Post by Michael OConnor
When the ratings didn't work out as expected, and the Sunday Night show was cancelled, NBC was looking for a reason to get rid of her, and got rid of her. I hope she gets every penny remaining on the contract, just for the way Al (cough pooped his pants at the White House cough) Roker treated her after she already apologized on national TV. I don't think her remark was offensive as she was asking a rhetorical question, and I am not a fan or hers, but after she already apologized, in my humble opinion, it is not necessary to apologize again to black America, Al.
I don't see any shame in crapping your pants in the White House when a
medical explanation can account for it...it's a lot better than shitting
all over the Constitution like the current occupant manages to do a
couple of times a week....r
Harvey Fenwick Lung
2018-10-28 12:21:13 UTC
Post by RHDraney
Post by Michael OConnor
When the ratings didn't work out as expected, and the Sunday Night show was cancelled, NBC was looking for a reason to get rid of her, and got rid of her. I hope she gets every penny remaining on the contract, just for the way Al (cough pooped his pants at the White House cough) Roker treated her after she already apologized on national TV. I don't think her remark was offensive as she was asking a rhetorical question, and I am not a fan or hers, but after she already apologized, in my humble opinion, it is not necessary to apologize again to black America, Al.
I don't see any shame in crapping your pants in the White House when a
medical explanation can account for it...it's a lot better than shitting
all over the Constitution like the current occupant manages to do a
couple of times a week....r
Got to correct you- you must mean the previous occupant of the White
House.
Michael OConnor
I can't think of one who hasn't. Well, maybe William Henry Harrison, who caught pneumonia while giving his inaugural speech in inclement weather and died a month later. He really wasn't in office long enough to muck things up very much.
Bryan Styble
2018-10-28 23:03:49 UTC
Hey Michael...

Typically I ALWAYS enjoy (and frequently agree with) your well-reasoned analyses herein, but this one, alas, features a well-worn, all-but-universally-accepted myth:

That William Henry Harrison, the Whig standard-bearer who had lost his first race against Democrat Martin van Buren, the 1836 election that put the then-sitting Veep into the White House--the last time THAT would happen, not incidentally, until Bush the Elder succeeded Reagan in 1989--had become mortally ill due to exposure during his lengthy inaugural address on Thursday, March 4, 1841, which he delivered without on overcoat, and also in some accounts, without his top hat on a frigid, sleeting Inauguration Day.

It's true that the weather was horrid that winter afternoon and that his was the longest inaugural address in history, but NOT clocking-in at nearly four hours as some accounts exaggerated, but rather at just under two hours. The text of the speech is available online and actually fascinating to read, if you aren't bored by mid-19th Century speechifying phraseology and are, like me, interested in early Industrial Revolution economic policies.

But in fact the first President Harrison seemed not the least bit ill during his first fortnight and a half in office; the pneumonia he supposedly* expired from in the first hour of April 4th was apparently contracted during an ill-advised solo horse ride in the District late on Friday night, March 26th, NOT on the then-constitutionally mandated swearing-in afternoon of March 4th.

And if you're saying to yourself, "Oh, dear, there goes that silly Styble hallucinating again...", you might confirm all this with Harrison's fellow Whig, Henry Clay, who famously had a testy verbal exchange with the new--and still hale--POTUS several days into that truncated term inside what was in those days was called The Executive Mansion...though I'm fairly certain the three-time House Speaker doesn't much speak to media folk anymore.

* Diagnoses of infectious disease were still quite iffy in those days; it actually could have been any number of maladies that felled ol' Tippecanoe.
Bermuda999
2018-10-29 02:22:33 UTC
Post by Michael OConnor
Post by Harvey Fenwick Lung
Post by RHDraney
I don't see any shame in crapping your pants in the White House when a
medical explanation can account for it...it's a lot better than shitting
all over the Constitution like the current occupant manages to do a
couple of times a week....r
Got to correct you- you must mean the previous occupant of the White
House.
I can't think of one who hasn't. Well, maybe William Henry Harrison, who caught pneumonia while giving his inaugural speech in inclement weather and died a month later. He really wasn't in office long enough to muck things up very much.
1. You don't catch pneumonia by standing in the cold, the rain, or otherwise inclement weather. It can be detrimental to your immune system, and increase the likelihood of a cold or flu, but there still has to be a transmittal of bacteria/germs/viruses. If he had become ill on the day of the Inauguration, it would be more likely from shaking hundreds of hands that day.

2. While the 1841 diagnosis was pneumonia, in 2014 a detailed re-evaluation led to the consensus that he actually died more specifically from septic shock related to enteric fever which did not arise until three weeks after the inauguration. The cause was the White House's drinking water supply was downstream from a public sewage system. (see McHugh, Jane; Mackowiak, Philip A. (March 31, 2014). "What Really Killed William Henry Harrison?". The New York Times and McHugh, Jane; Mackowiak, Philip A. (June 23, 2014). "Death in the White House: President William Henry Harrison's Atypical Pneumonia". Clinical Infectious Diseases. 59 (7): 990–995.