Dead: The MLB team name Cleveland Indians
Jason
2020-12-14 09:54:27 UTC
https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/13/us/cleveland-indians-mlb-name-change-spt-trnd/index.html?utm_source=twcnnbrk&utm_term=link&utm_content=2020-12-14T03%3A49%3A50&utm_medium=social

Cleveland MLB team to drop 'Indians' from its name
By Amir Vera and Kevin Dotson, CNN

Updated 10:47 PM ET, Sun December 13, 2020

(CNN)The Major League Baseball team in Cleveland, Ohio, will drop "Indians" from its name, according to a report from The New York Times and later confirmed by other news outlets.

The team declined to comment on the situation, but said it did not dispute the Times report, which cites sources familiar with the decision. Major League Baseball has not responded to CNN's request for comment.
The decision to change the team name could be announced as soon as this week, the Times reported.

The "Indians" name dates back to 1915, when it was chosen by the team and a group of baseball newspaper writers. Though its exact origin story is unclear, the name was partly based on the contemporary success of the Boston Braves, who won the 1914 World Series, as well as on Louis Sockalexis, a former Native American baseball star in Cleveland who died in 1913, according to Cleveland Magazine.

Washington's football team to call itself Washington Football Team until it settles on a new name.

Cleveland previously removed its "Chief Wahoo" logo, a racist caricature of a Native American character, from its team uniforms after the 2018 season.
"I think it's time to move forward," Terry Francona, the manager of Cleveland's baseball team, said in July when discussing the team's name. "It's a very difficult subject. It's also delicate."

The Cleveland name change comes at a time when America is coming to terms with its racist past. A summer of protesting the deaths of Black people at the hands of police has led professional sports teams, companies and even schools to reconsider racist branding, imagery and memorabilia.
Sports teams with names based on Native Americans, including MLB's Cleveland Indians and Atlanta Braves, and the NFL's Washington Redskins and Kansas City Chiefs, are facing pressure to reexamine their names as Americans more directly grapple with issues of racism.

Washington's NFL team -- formerly the Redskins -- did away with their name in July and are now the Washington Football Team.
CNN's Jacob Lev and Eric Levenson contributed to this report.
Kenny McCormack
2020-12-14 09:59:24 UTC
Post by Jason
Cleveland MLB team to drop 'Indians' from its name
By Amir Vera and Kevin Dotson, CNN
So nice, you posted it twice!
--
Men rarely (if ever) manage to dream up a God superior to themselves.
Most Gods have the manners and morals of a spoiled child.
Travoltron
2020-12-14 12:44:15 UTC
There's that CNN impartial reporting for you
MJ Emigh
2020-12-14 23:06:04 UTC
Heh-heh..... I agree with their conclusion, but do conclusions like that need to be considered news REPORTING?!?
Louis Epstein
2020-12-15 02:02:18 UTC
Post by Jason
https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/13/us/cleveland-indians-mlb-name-change-spt-trnd/index.html?utm_source=twcnnbrk&utm_term=link&utm_content=2020-12-14T03%3A49%3A50&utm_medium=social
Cleveland MLB team to drop 'Indians' from its name
By Amir Vera and Kevin Dotson, CNN
Updated 10:47 PM ET, Sun December 13, 2020
(CNN)The Major League Baseball team in Cleveland, Ohio, will drop "Indians" from its name, according to a report from The New York Times and later confirmed by other news outlets.
The team declined to comment on the situation, but said it did not dispute
the Times report, which cites sources familiar with the decision. Major
League Baseball has not responded to CNN's request for comment.
The decision to change the team name could be announced as soon as this
week, the Times reported.
Correcting header.
As of right now the death date is an unspecified future.

Dave P.
2020-12-15 07:29:50 UTC
Post by Jason
The "Indians" name dates back to 1915, when it was chosen
by the team and a group of baseball newspaper writers.
Why did the Yale researchers call for Zero
Population Growth in 1970, when we were at
4 billion? If we had followed their suggestion, the
total air passenger miles wouldn't have increased
tenfold, which is what allowed the Covid virus to
spread worldwide before anyone knew it, causing
the slow-motion train wreck that we have today.
We probably wouldn't have climate change today, too.
Kenny McCormack
2020-12-15 14:52:01 UTC
Post by Dave P.
Post by Jason
The "Indians" name dates back to 1915, when it was chosen
by the team and a group of baseball newspaper writers.
Why did the Yale researchers call for Zero
Population Growth in 1970, when we were at
4 billion? If we had followed their suggestion, the
total air passenger miles wouldn't have increased
tenfold, which is what allowed the Covid virus to
spread worldwide before anyone knew it, causing
the slow-motion train wreck that we have today.
We probably wouldn't have climate change today, too.
I'm sorry. The two paragraphs have what to do with each other?

Besides which, I think the question you meant to ask is:

* Why didn't we heed the Yale researchers call for Zero
* Population Growth in 1970, when we were at
* 4 billion?

to which the answer is: Because the Bible tells us not to. Right there in
Genesis, it tells us to be fruitful and multiply. Forever, and
geometrically.

(Yes, I'm being sarcastic)
--
To be evangelical is to spend every waking moment hovering around
two emotional states: fear and rage. Evangelicals are seriously the
whinybutts I've ever encountered.
Dave P.
2020-12-16 08:06:09 UTC
Post by Kenny McCormack
Post by Dave P.
Post by Jason
The "Indians" name dates back to 1915, when it was chosen
by the team and a group of baseball newspaper writers.
Why did the Yale researchers call for Zero
Population Growth in 1970, when we were at
4 billion? If we had followed their suggestion, the
total air passenger miles wouldn't have increased
tenfold, which is what allowed the Covid virus to
spread worldwide before anyone knew it, causing
the slow-motion train wreck that we have today.
We probably wouldn't have climate change today, too.
* Why didn't we heed the Yale researchers call for Zero
* Population Growth in 1970, when we were at
* 4 billion?
& the answer is: Because the Bible tells us not to. Right there in
Genesis, it tells us to be fruitful and multiply. Forever, and
geometrically. (Yes, I'm being sarcastic)
Why are you being sarcastic------because you can't
think of any intelligent to say?