Karen Pendleton, 73, paraplegic original Mousketeer -- now it's time to say goodbye
2019-10-08 03:12:00 UTC
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/karen-pendleton-dead-original-mouseketeer-mickey-mouse-club-was-73-1245964

TV

Karen Pendleton, One of the Original Mouseketeers, Dies at 73

3:04 PM PDT 10/7/2019
by Mike Barnes

She was one of only nine kids who appeared on 'The Mickey Mouse Club' during its entire original run.

Karen Pendleton, one of the original Mouseketeers on The Mickey Mouse Club, died from a heart attack on Sunday in Fresno, California, Disney historian and author Lorraine Santoli announced. She was 73.

Among the youngest of the kids on the show, Pendleton was known for her shoulder-length blond curls and for being paired with fellow Mouseketeer Cubby O'Brien in the show's sweet closing number, "Alma Mater" ("Now it's time to say goodbye to all our company …").

Pendleton worked on the Disney series throughout its four-year run (1955-59) on ABC, then entertained generations of children around the world for decades after it played in syndication. She was one of only nine kids that appeared on the program during its entire original airing.

Born on Aug. 1, 1946, in Glendale, California, Pendleton was recruited to audition for The Mickey Mouse Club when producers approached dancing schools in the Los Angeles area seeking kids to try out for a spot on the show.

After The Mickey Mouse Club, Pendleton left show business, finished high school, got married, had a daughter in 1973 and divorced in 1981. In 1983, she was involved in an automobile accident that paralyzed her from the waist down. She needed a wheelchair for the rest of her life but returned to school to earn bachelor's and master's degrees.

Pendleton also went on to work at a shelter for battered women and became an advocate for those with disabilities as a board member for the California Association of the Physically Handicapped.

She also co-starred in many Mickey Mouse Club reunion shows and parades at Disneyland and at fan shows and conventions.

"My mom loved her Mouseketeer family," her daughter, Staci, said in a statement. "Getting together with [her co-stars] was always a high point. It gave her the opportunity to relive great memories and to meet so many Mickey Mouse Club fans that watched the show as kids and loved her. Many told her that they named their daughters Karen in her honor."

Pendleton also is survived by two grandchildren.
David Carson
2019-10-08 03:23:45 UTC
"My mom loved her Mouseketeer family," her daughter, Staci, said in a statement. "Getting together with [her co-stars] was always a high point. It gave her the opportunity to relive great memories and to meet so many Mickey Mouse Club fans that watched the show as kids and loved her. Many told her that they named their daughters Karen in her honor."
There are 26 former members of the 1950s Mousketeers who are living,
including stars Sharon Baird, Bobby Burgess, Lonnie Burr, Tommy Cole,
Johnny Crawford, Darlene Gillespie, Cubby O'Brien, and Paul Petersen.

Gillespie, 78, is the oldest living Mouseketeer and was the second-oldest
of all the 39 children who wore the ears.

http://www.doadb.com/mouseketeers.htm

Dead or Alive Data Base
http://www.doadb.com
That Derek
2019-10-08 13:08:12 UTC
Post by David Carson
e 26 former members of the 1950s Mousketeers
Too many to keep track of. Let me know the number dwindles to a dozen, let me know. There are fewer than ten Bat-Villains from the 1960s still with us -- and we're all saddened when one of them dies.

For the uninitiated, a "tontine" is an arrangement among friend in which each group member contributes an amount, the money is kept in a bank gaining interest with the final survivor claiming the reward.

Imagine if the 1955 Mouseketeers entered a tontine ...
David Carson
2019-10-08 15:56:49 UTC
On Tue, 8 Oct 2019 06:08:12 -0700 (PDT), That Derek
Post by That Derek
Post by David Carson
e 26 former members of the 1950s Mousketeers
Too many to keep track of.
Again:
http://www.doadb.com/mouseketeers.htm

I've been keeping track since 1998, when there were 37.