YouTube link: "TCM Remembers 2018_ obit reel
2018-12-26 05:33:04 UTC

Burt Reynolds gets the grande finale.

Missing in action:

My pals CHUCK McCANN (The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter; Mel Brooks movies) and Will Jordan (Ed Sullivan in The Buddy Holly Story; Ed Sullivan in I Want to Hold Your Hand; Ed Sullivan in The Doors; Ed Sullivan in That Thing You Do).

Spider-Man co-creator STEVE DITKO (Stan Lee was present).

Danish-born "blonde bombshell" GRETA THYSSEN (latter-day Three Stooges stock player).

BRADFORD DILLMAN.

CONNIE SAYWER.

LOUIS ZORICH.

Mel Brooks film composer JOHN MORRIS.

Early 1960s UK leading man KENNETH HAIGH.

Bollywood superstar SRIDEVI.

Mid-1960s Elvis Presley juvenile scene-stealer DONNA BUTTERWORTH.

"Mini-Me" VERNE TROYER.

"Toxic Avenger" portrayer JOHN ALTAMURA.

Movie adaptation novelists TOM WOLF and PHILIP ROTH.

VINCENT M. McEVEETY JR., 1970s director of Disney live-action co0medies.

ALLYN ANN McLERIE.

RUSSELL NYPE.

DEANNA LUND.
MJ Emigh
2018-12-26 14:34:36 UTC
http://youtu.be/7ewT7_NrGwM
I shared Chuck with you. Sure, he was mostly a TV guy, but he did enough movies to qualify, I think. The only other one I knew was Ricky Jay, who WAS included (I had several entertainer friends leave this past year, but only two who did any big-screen work). And I think he did no more films than Chuck did. I can't help thinking that they make these decisions in order to get people riled up over the omissions. It's GOT to spike viewership for a little while, at least.
RHDraney
2018-12-26 17:34:54 UTC
Post by MJ Emigh
Post by That Derek
http://youtu.be/7ewT7_NrGwM
I shared Chuck with you. Sure, he was mostly a TV guy, but he did enough movies to qualify, I think. The only other one I knew was Ricky Jay, who WAS included (I had several entertainer friends leave this past year, but only two who did any big-screen work). And I think he did no more films than Chuck did. I can't help thinking that they make these decisions in order to get people riled up over the omissions. It's GOT to spike viewership for a little while, at least.
Chuck McCann was one of the better instances (which I'm afraid of not
saying much) of attempts to cast a "new" Laurel and Hardy...I don't hold
out much hope for the new one with Steve Coogan and John C Reilly....r
MJ Emigh
2018-12-26 20:55:27 UTC
The L&H nuts out there (and I proudly include myself in that group) who have seen it are universally happy with it. If it wasn't good, it would be under attack by them (like that horrible "For Love or Mummy" about 15 years ago). The only negatives I've heard about it are their fictional argument with Roach and their fictional argument with each other. But what normal people like movies without arguments in them? Just us L&H nuts, I guess. And only when it's ABOUT L&H; not their on-screen arguments. I promised my sweetie that I'll wait til she gets back from Christmas with her mum and dad to see it. Just a few more days.
A Friend
2018-12-26 21:17:43 UTC
Post by MJ Emigh
Post by RHDraney
.I don't hold
out much hope for the new one with Steve Coogan and John C Reilly....r
The L&H nuts out there (and I proudly include myself in that group) who have
seen it are universally happy with it. If it wasn't good, it would be under
attack by them (like that horrible "For Love or Mummy" about 15 years ago).
Oh, God. Don't talk dirty. I love Laurel & Hardy, always have, always
will. That film was an atrocity.

You probably know that MUMMY was a Larry Harmon (Bozo the Clown)
production, shot on the ultra-cheap in apartheid-era South Africa.
Harmon had bought the rights to L&H (and Abbott & Costello, too) and
proceeded to lay waste all around him. For instance, Harmon cut L&H's
classic shorts into five-minute-long "Laughtoons," something that would
have utterly dismayed Stan, who hated it that even their uncut films
were interrupted by commercials on TV. I think Stan would have loved
TCM.
MJ Emigh
2018-12-27 02:12:46 UTC
I guess we'll never know how that mess started. I mean, Stan went for Harmon's sales pitch, after all. I know that he said he was convinced that Harmon would do the right thing, but I'd love to know what specifically tipped the scales on that deal. But then, Stan went for the Fox deal, too. Business was just not his forte, I guess.
A Friend
2018-12-26 18:39:01 UTC
Post by MJ Emigh
Post by That Derek
http://youtu.be/7ewT7_NrGwM
I shared Chuck with you. Sure, he was mostly a TV guy, but he did enough
movies to qualify, I think.
There was Oscar talk for his role in THE HEART IS A LONELY HUNTER*.
There was also THE PROJECTIONIST. Yes, Chuck should have been in
there.

*Starring Sondra Locke, who also died this year.
Michael OConnor
2018-12-26 17:54:24 UTC
BRADFORD DILLMAN.
He shows up at the 2:40 mark in the clip.
J.D. Baldwin
2018-12-26 17:59:22 UTC
Spider-Man co-creator STEVE DITKO (Stan Lee was present).
I think it would have been silly to include him. Co-creating a single
character who went on to generate a bunch of box-office cash isn't a
particularly strong criterion for inclusion in a montage like this.
Should Steve Gerber have been included for co-creating Howard the
Duck? That one picture wasn't successful, but it's certainly well-
known, especially among film buffs. But there's a line somewhere and
guys like Ditko and Gerber are not on the Stan Lee side of it.

Most of your other complained omissions are at least legitimate. Two
Post by That Derek
Mel Brooks film composer JOHN MORRIS.
[...]
"Mini-Me" VERNE TROYER.
Morris was Oscar-nominated (and IMO was robbed) and should be fondly
rememebered forever for the "Blazing Saddles" theme song. Troyer was
a minor pop-culture icon.
p***@gmail.com
You had the chance to go for "was a mini pop-culture icon", but you decided to stay classy.
Bermuda999
2018-12-28 22:12:54 UTC
(Blazing Saddles theme song = music by Morris, lyrics by Mel Brooks, of course)
That Derek
2018-12-26 19:02:45 UTC
Re: the Hollywood debuts of 2018 departees Chuck McCann and Sondra Locke in the 1968 film "The Heart IS a Lonely Hunter":

Apropos of nothing, "Heart/Hunter" is a prime example of how Alan Arkin has easily emerged in Hollywood history as the most under-rated actor of his generation [Lee Remick, IMHO, holds the "actress" equivalent of that discussion].

Arkin portrays a deaf/mute without any dialogue and he's acting circles amidst luminaries such as Stacy Keach (Jr), Cicely Tyson, Percy Rodriguez, and promising newcomers such as the aforementioned McCann and Ms. Locle.

It was great that Arkin won an Oscar during his recent older supporting character actor "comeback" (he never actually went away).
Michael OConnor
2018-12-26 21:26:27 UTC
He never did go away, he never drifted into a TV series that tied him down for a few years like it did many character actors, he just kept cranking out great performance after great performance.
Bryan Styble
2018-12-26 22:37:24 UTC
Michael O'Connor opined for one and all herein:

It was great that [Alan] Arkin won an Oscar during his recent older supporting character actor "comeback" ([though] he never actually went away)...he [also] never drifted into a TV series that tied him down for a few years like it did many character actors; he just kept cranking out great performance after great performance.

Once again, Michael, I find myself in total consonance with one of your trenchant cinematic points.

However, this Hellerphile is hugely curious: what did you think of his essaying what many Arkin fans consider his magnum opus (or at least signature) role, Yossarian?

Though I generally abhor remakes (and sequels too, for that matter), I must admit I've been long wondering if anyone will ever obtain the rights and try to better what was arguably the usually-masterful Mike Nichols's most uneven directorial effort, giving a second shot by someone at what ever since 1970 has been my all-time fave satirical novel.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts...and may you enjoy a boffo Boxing Day 2018!

BRYAN STYBLE/Florida
Bryan Styble
2018-12-26 22:56:19 UTC
ADDENDUM to my previous Arkin posting:

Actually, I doubt even Welles himself--who Nichols cast as General Dreedle in the film, of course--in his "Citizen Kane" prime could have done much better than Nichols at filming what, like just about all of Heller's prose, was principally a psychological narrative, and thus probably not capable in the first place of lending itself readily--or perhaps at all--to cinematic expression.

STYBLE/Florida
Michael OConnor
2018-12-27 03:42:21 UTC
Post by Bryan Styble
However, this Hellerphile is hugely curious: what did you think of his essaying what many Arkin fans consider his magnum opus (or at least signature) role, Yossarian?
Though I generally abhor remakes (and sequels too, for that matter), I must admit I've been long wondering if anyone will ever obtain the rights and try to better what was arguably the usually-masterful Mike Nichols's most uneven directorial effort, giving a second shot by someone at what ever since 1970 has been my all-time fave satirical novel.
Thanks in advance for your thoughts...and may you enjoy a boffo Boxing Day 2018!
I loved Catch 22, but it is one of those books that is tough to adapt to the big screen. A remake would be interesting, not sure who I would cast in the Arkin role (Sam Rockwell, perhaps, because he has always been a favorite of mine and with his recent Oscar is going to get a lot of bigger roles now).

Two Arkin roles in which I think were his finest were in 1979's "The In Laws", which was a brilliant script and he and Peter Falk were pitch-perfect as the mismatched father-in-laws.

The other was "GlenGarry Glen Ross", where he at first seemed overshadowed by the rest of the acting talent (Lemmon, Baldwin, Spacey, Ed Harris), but his role was perhaps the most interesting. I always saw this as a dark comedy about an office environment, and that the characters in the film represented people you encounter in every work place - the constant complainer (Ed Harris), the loud hotshot (Pacino), the incompetent boss (Spacey), the crusty over-the-hill guy (Lemmon), and the annoying guy from Corporate (Alec Baldwin). Arkin was I think the one I most identify with, the quiet guy who wound up in a occupation he clearly didn't enjoy or was very good at, who tried to keep his head down and keep plugging away until he either got his gold retirement watch or the company realized he was clueless and canned him.
Diner
2018-12-27 23:20:26 UTC
Post by Bryan Styble
Though I generally abhor remakes (and sequels too, for that matter), I must admit I've been long wondering if anyone will ever obtain the rights and try to better what was arguably the usually-masterful Mike Nichols's most uneven directorial effort, giving a second shot by someone at what ever since 1970 has been my all-time fave satirical novel.
Catch-22 is an upcoming American-British-Italian drama miniseries based on the book of the same name written by Joseph Heller that is set to premiere on Hulu in the United States, Channel 4 in the United Kingdom, and Sky Italia in Italy. The series, a co-production between the three networks, stars Christopher Abbott, Kyle Chandler, Hugh Laurie, and George Clooney, who is also set to executive produce alongside Grant Heslov, Luke Davies, David Michôd, Richard Brown, and Steve Golin.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catch-22_(miniseries)
Bryan Styble
2018-12-28 03:31:12 UTC
Well I'll be darned--Yossarian lives!*

Thanks so much for finding that, Diner!

STYBLE/Florida
* You may recall that those two words were the text--though perhaps without the exclamation point--printed up on stickers and then surreptitiously stuck around Rockefeller Plaza bathroom stalls shortly after its 1961 publication by none other than then-"Today" host John Chancellor, one of the MANY reasons the early Hellerphile and J. Fred Muggs successor (and Savannah Guthrie predecessor!) remains my fave 1970s network anchor, whom as it happened I was thrilled to watch work at close range for nearly an hour alongside Brinkley (my all-time anchor hero!) inside Kemper Arena at the 1976 GOP convention in Kansas City that memorable Wednesday, gliding into Kemper and through security layers with a legit radio credential illegitimately obtained.
Adam H. Kerman
2018-12-27 17:59:51 UTC
Re: the Hollywood debuts of 2018 departees Chuck McCann and Sondra Locke
Apropos of nothing, "Heart/Hunter" is a prime example of how Alan Arkin
has easily emerged in Hollywood history as the most under-rated actor of
his generation [Lee Remick, IMHO, holds the "actress" equivalent of that
discussion].
Arkin portrays a deaf/mute without any dialogue and he's acting circles
amidst luminaries such as Stacy Keach (Jr), Cicely Tyson, Percy
Rodriguez, and promising newcomers such as the aforementioned McCann and
Ms. Locle.
It was great that Arkin won an Oscar during his recent older supporting
character actor "comeback" (he never actually went away).
A whole subthread on Alan Arkin!

Could we please not jinx it? I'd like him to remain healthy and continue
to perform.
Bermuda999
2019-01-04 10:48:48 UTC
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Post by That Derek
Re: the Hollywood debuts of 2018 departees Chuck McCann and Sondra Locke
Apropos of nothing, "Heart/Hunter" is a prime example of how Alan Arkin
has easily emerged in Hollywood history as the most under-rated actor of
his generation [Lee Remick, IMHO, holds the "actress" equivalent of that
discussion].
Arkin portrays a deaf/mute without any dialogue and he's acting circles
amidst luminaries such as Stacy Keach (Jr), Cicely Tyson, Percy
Rodriguez, and promising newcomers such as the aforementioned McCann and
Ms. Locle.
It was great that Arkin won an Oscar during his recent older supporting
character actor "comeback" (he never actually went away).
A whole subthread on Alan Arkin!
Could we please not jinx it? I'd like him to remain healthy and continue
to perform.
"Ee Mare Jen See. Everybody to get from street"

p***@gmail.com
Bradford Dillman is included at 2:40 (and yes, I realize it may have been updated)
That Derek
2018-12-26 20:24:35 UTC
Post by p***@gmail.com
You had the chance to go for "was a mini pop-culture icon", but you decided to stay classy.
Essentially, Verne Troyer was short-shifted.

That Derek (devising dead celebrity jokes so that you don't have to)