Jan-Michael Vincent -- the '80s heartthrob
Add Reply
mongo
2019-03-08 17:23:16 UTC
https://www.tmz.com/2019/03/08/airwolf-star-jan-michael-vincent-dead/

Jan-Michael Vincent -- the '80s heartthrob best known for his role on TV's
"Airwolf" -- has died ... TMZ has learned.

Jan-Michael actually died back on February 10 after suffering cardiac arrest
while a patient at a North Carolina hospital ... according to the death
certificate. We're told no autopsy was performed and he was later cremated.

Jan-Michael was most recently in the 2002 movie, "White Boy" ... but he had a
long, successful career in TV and film.

His CBS hit, "Airwolf," made him into a huge star. At the time, he was
reportedly the highest-paid actor at $200k per episode. Jan-Michael played
helicopter pilot Stringfellow Hawke on the show, but the series lasted only a
couple seasons largely in part to the star's cocaine abuse. His acting career
would ultimately suffer from it.

Jan-Michael nearly died in 2012 from an infection that required his right leg to
be amputated.

Jan-Michael also starred opposite Burt Reynolds in the 1978 film, "Hooper" --
and co-starred with Kim Basinger in the 1981 film, "Hard Country." He was a
steady working actor in Hollywood for 3 decades, and appeared in tons of the old
classics like, "Lassie," "Bonanza," and "Gunsmoke."

Jan-Michael was 74. RIP.
Louis Epstein
2019-03-08 20:39:51 UTC
Post by mongo
[...]
And he was once The World's Greatest Athlete.

mongo
2019-03-08 20:48:02 UTC
RIP Nanu...
Michael OConnor
2019-03-08 21:32:53 UTC
And that was before Caitlyn Jenner.
That Derek
2019-03-09 00:22:32 UTC
Post by Louis Epstein
And he was once The World's Greatest Athlete.
Uh-Oh, Chungo.

And let's not forget the live-action "Danger Island" segments, which were real-estate eating drags during "The Banana Splits Adventure Hour.
Bermuda999
2019-03-09 06:40:27 UTC
Post by mongo
https://www.tmz.com/2019/03/08/airwolf-star-jan-michael-vincent-dead/
I remember early JMV playing "Adrian" in the amazingly successful made-for-TV movie"TRIBES", in which he played a peace-lovin' hippy going through basic training. The subtitle was "The Soldier Who Declared Peace".

The film was directed by Joseph Sargent, who also directed the amazingly successful made-for-TV movies "Maybe I'll Come Home in the Spring" with Sally Fields and "Hustling" with Lee Remick and Jill Clayburgh. (Later his career largely imploded due to directing "Jaws: The Revenge""This time it's personal")
Michael OConnor
2019-03-09 07:25:03 UTC
(Later his career largely imploded due to directing "Jaws: The Revenge""This time it's personal")

I doubt Spielberg's career would have survived directing that movie.
A Friend
2019-03-09 12:06:42 UTC
Post by Bermuda999
Post by mongo
https://www.tmz.com/2019/03/08/airwolf-star-jan-michael-vincent-dead/
I remember early JMV playing "Adrian" in the amazingly successful made-for-TV
movie"TRIBES", in which he played a peace-lovin' hippy going through basic
training. The subtitle was "The Soldier Who Declared Peace".
Another good one: BABY BLUE MARINE, set during WW2. Co-starred Glynnis
O'Connor.
Terry del Fuego
2019-03-09 13:56:49 UTC
"The Mechanic"
Michael OConnor
2019-03-09 17:04:14 UTC
Post by A Friend
Post by Bermuda999
I remember early JMV playing "Adrian" in the amazingly successful made-for-TV
movie"TRIBES", in which he played a peace-lovin' hippy going through basic
training. The subtitle was "The Soldier Who Declared Peace".
Another good one: BABY BLUE MARINE, set during WW2. Co-starred Glynnis
O'Connor.
In the 70's, it seemed like he would develop into a major film star, but the drugs and booze got the better of him. I always kinda liked the post-apocalyptic sci-fi film "Damnation Alley", which was a piece of garbage and didn't much resemble the book. In the book "Damnation Alley", his character was named Hell Tanner and he was the nation's most notorious renegade biker leader who was on death row and would get a pardon if he ran a shipment of plague vaccine across a US destroyed by nuclear war, which in a way was more like "Escape from New York.

As an actor, I just don't think Jan-Michael Vincent had a lot of range, and he played tough but likable characters, and it only took him so far. I don't think he could have played somebody like Snake Plissken and came across as credible as Kurt Russell did.
b***@gmail.com
2019-03-09 23:47:58 UTC
A bizarre non-cameo cameo role (intentional or unintentional self-parody? bad acting?) in Buffalo '66.