Ray Sawyer, 81, eye=patched lead singer, "Dr. Hook and the Medicine Show"
2018-12-31 23:43:28 UTC
https://pagesix.com/2018/12/31/dr-hook-singer-ray-sawyer-dead-at-81/

exclusive

Dr. Hook singer Ray Sawyer dead at 81

By Oli Coleman

December 31, 2018 | 1:48pm

Ray Sawyer of Dr. Hook has died, Page Six is told.

Sawyer, perhaps best known for singing lead vocal on “Cover of Rolling Stone,” passed away in Daytona Beach, Fla., according to his publicist.

No cause of death was given, but we’re told that Sawyer — known for his trademark eye patch and cowboy hat — suffered a brief illness from which he didn’t recover.

We’re told Sawyer, 81, stopped performing around three years ago due to declining health.

Sawyer appeared on a string of hits in the ’70s and ’80s, including “Sylvia’s Mother,” “A Little Bit More,” “Only Sixteen,” “Walk Right In,””Sharing the Night Together,” “When You’re in Love with a Beautiful Woman,” “Better Love Next Time” and “Sexy Eyes.”
Bermuda999
2019-01-01 14:08:48 UTC
[...]
It should be noted that Sawyer was not "the" lead singer of the band. He did sing the novelty hit "Cover of the Rolling Stone", but that was an anomaly. The regular lead singer for the band was Dennis Locorriere. He was the lead singer on all the other hits of the band, including "Sylvia's Mother" and "When You're In Love With A Beautiful Woman".

People unfamiliar with the band saw Sawyer sing lead on that one song (Cover...) and, together with his signature eye patch, assumed that he was "Dr. Hook". Rolling Stone magazine used the caricature of Sawyer rather than the regular lead singer on their cover story.
t***@gmail.com
2019-01-01 15:09:57 UTC
What I found Interesting back in the late 70's was how Capitol Records changed Dr Hook from a country folk band to a disco tinged pop hit machine.
Michael OConnor
2019-01-01 21:17:01 UTC
Post by t***@gmail.com
What I found Interesting back in the late 70's was how Capitol Records changed Dr Hook from a country folk band to a disco tinged pop hit machine.
I always found that interesting also, but I always figured it was the band who did it themselves, that they brought in new members and or new songwriters/producers who totally changed the dynamic of the band. This happened in the same way with the Doobie Brothers, that they changed drastically when Michael McDonald joined the group and they transformed immediately from a southern rock/folk band into a bluesy pop band. The Bee Gees did the same thing, when they transformed from a folk band into disco. It is also interesting that all three of these happened between 1975-77 or so, and I don't know whether this was something the record companies were behind.

Some successful bands at the time, I think, tried to get onto the disco bandwagon after their record sales dropped, and they were not very successful. Seals and Croft did this in 1978 when they produced a disco song "You're the Love" in 1978 that wasn't a bad song, but it was IIRC their final top 40 song. A youtube search found a disco mix for it:

I know there were other other artists who transformed their sound to the point that in the before and after, they sound like two totally different groups, but mostly this occurs when an artist tries something different and changes from one genre to another. This happened when England Dan Seals went from pop to country (and had a string of country hits in the 80's) after England Dan and John Ford Coley split up.
That Derek
2019-01-01 21:42:40 UTC
Didn't Seals and Croft hook up with the Baha'i Marimba Band\
t***@iwvisp.com
2019-01-02 05:11:26 UTC
Niice.
David Carson
2019-01-07 01:31:07 UTC
https://pagesix.com/2018/12/31/dr-hook-singer-ray-sawyer-dead-at-81/
exclusive
Dr. Hook singer Ray Sawyer dead at 81
By Oli Coleman
December 31, 2018 | 1:48pm
Ray Sawyer of Dr. Hook has died, Page Six is told.
Sawyer, perhaps best known for singing lead vocal on “Cover of Rolling Stone,” passed away in Daytona Beach, Fla., according to his publicist.
No cause of death was given, but we’re told that Sawyer — known for his trademark eye patch and cowboy hat — suffered a brief illness from which he didn’t recover.
There are some obits giving his DOD as 31 December and some giving it as
28 December. I'm inclined to believe it was the 28th.

Dead or Alive Data Base
http://www.doadb.com