Martin Pasko, 65, comic book TV writer(JLA; Swamp Thing); Roseanne; BRogers)
2020-05-11 19:16:45 UTC
From Mark Evanier's pop culture blog "News fro=m ME.\

https://www.newsfromme.com/2020/05/11/martin-pasko-r-i-p/

Martin Pasko, R.I.P.
Published Monday, May 11, 2020 at 10:30 AM

This is one of the tough ones. Longtime comic book and TV writer Marty Pasko has died at the age of 65 and the coroner is saying "natural causes." Marty had not been in the greatest of health the last few years.

Marty broke into comic book writing in 1973 with a few sales to Warren Publishing and then he began a long, mutually-beneficial relationship writing for editor Julius Schwartz at DC Comics, primarily on Superman. But his association with Julie preceded that by any years as Marty — nickname "Pesky" Pasko by Schwartz — had been a letter column regular long before that. So was I and he and I shared a number of those letter pages. Thus, when we met at the New York Comic Con in 1970, it was like we were old friends. At the same time, I also met his oldest friend, Alan Brennert, with whom he was then publishing a fanzine called Fantazine. Both would go on to great, successful writing careers and would remain good friends.

Marty wrote many comics for DC (not all for Julie Schwartz) including Doctor Fate, Justice League of America, Wonder Woman, Metal Men and so many more, especially any title that featured Superman. I was especially impressed with a run he authored of The Saga of the Swamp Thing. Preceded by co-creator Len Wein's stint with the character and followed by Alan Moore's, it did not receive the attention I thought it deserved. He also wrote Star Trek, both for DC and Marvel, and occasional jobs (like E-Man for First Comics) for other publishers.

In television, Marty wrote live-actions shows like Buck Rogers in the 25th Century, Fantasy Island, Simon & Simon, and Roseanne, and would gladly tell you horror stories about the last of these. His animation credits included Thundarr the Barbarian, G.I. Joe, Batman: The Animated Series, The Tick and quite a few others. He won an Emmy for his work on the Batman show.

If this obit sounds like it was written by someone who's a little stunned, there's a reason. Like I said, I knew Marty since 1970 and though I hadn't seen him much in recent years, we had spent a lot of time together once upon a time and spilled blood jointly on a few projects. I thought he was a very good writer, though I'm not sure he always believed it when I told him that…or when anyone else complimented him. I may write something more about the man when I'm a bit less stunned but I definitely consider him one of the good guys and I'm really, really sorry to not have him around anymore.
That Derek
2020-05-12 14:24:14 UTC
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/martin-pasko-dead-superman-batman-writer-was-65-1294242

HEAT VISION

Martin Pasko, 'Superman,' 'Batman: The Animated Series' Writer, Dies at 65

May 11, 2020 2:37pm
by Graeme McMillan

Pasko won a Daytime Emmy during his long career.

Martin Pasko, the comic book and television writer best known for his work on a number of DC properties, most notably Superman, has died. He was 65.

In a Facebook post, one of Pasko's friends, television writer Alan Brennert, said he died Sunday night of natural causes. Pasko had been living in North Hills, California.

Born Jean-Claude Rochefort in Quebec in 1954, Pasko first came to prominence via repeated appearances in comic book letter columns and fanzines, including Fantazine, the title he co-founded with Brennert. He started writing for comics in 1972, and by 1974 was a regular contributor to DC’s Superman line of titles, including Superman, DC Comics Presents and Superman Family; he also wrote for Justice League of America, Wonder Woman and Saga of the Swamp Thing for the publisher, with his work on the latter immediately preceding Alan Moore’s groundbreaking run on the character.

Although he continued to work in comics throughout the 1980s, Pasko was also a prolific television writer and story editor, working on such live-action shows as Max Headroom, Buck Rogers in the 25th Century and The Twilight Zone, and animated series including Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, G.I. Joe and Thundarr the Barbarian. This career continued into the 1990s, when he worked as writer and story editor on Batman: The Animated Series, as well as on the feature film Batman: Mask of the Phantasm. He won a Daytime Emmy for his work on Batman.

Pasko worked on staff for both Disney — as part of the short-lived “Disney Comics” publishing program in the early 1990s — and DC, where he worked as the mass market group editor and liaison to Warner Bros. Studios until 2005, consulting on the development of projects including Smallville and Birds of Prey.

In a Facebook post, former DC president Paul Levitz wrote, “[T]he odds are you've read his work, credited or not, or enjoyed a comic or cartoon or tv show or even a theme park event he made better, even as he relentlessly complained about the difficulties of making it as good as it 'should' be. Marty didn't have a genius for making anything easy (especially for him), but he had a real genius for making creative magic.”