[slightly OT] former Philly mayor: Time to MOVE On (fwd)
Add Reply
danny burstein
2020-05-11 11:23:36 UTC
[The Guardian]

When I was mayor, Philadelphia bombed civilians. It's time for the
city to apologise

The date 13 May will be forever etched in my mind.

Thirty-five years ago, members of Move, a black liberation and back-to-nature
group, barricaded themselves in a row house in west Philadelphia. The situation
escalated into an armed standoff with the Philadelphia police. On 13 May 1985,
the police dropped an explosive device from a helicopter on to the house. The
decision to drop explosives on a house filled with people was indefensible. The
bombs ignited a fire which killed 11 people, including five children, and razed
61 homes to the ground.
========
rest:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/may/10/when-i-was-mayor-philadelphia-bombed-civilians-its-time-for-the-city-to-apologise

***@panix.com
m***@gmail.com
2020-05-11 16:57:23 UTC
Post by danny burstein
[The Guardian]
When I was mayor, Philadelphia bombed civilians. It's time for the
city to apologise
The date 13 May will be forever etched in my mind.
Thirty-five years ago, members of Move, a black liberation and back-to-nature
group, barricaded themselves in a row house in west Philadelphia. The situation
escalated into an armed standoff with the Philadelphia police. On 13 May 1985,
the police dropped an explosive device from a helicopter on to the house. The
decision to drop explosives on a house filled with people was indefensible. The
bombs ignited a fire which killed 11 people, including five children, and razed
61 homes to the ground.
========
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/may/10/when-i-was-mayor-philadelphia-bombed-civilians-its-time-for-the-city-to-apologise
Can you imagine our Conman-in-Chief ever apologizing for the many things he has done that have cost lives?

Kudos to Mayor Goode.
Adam H. Kerman
2020-05-11 18:47:17 UTC
Post by danny burstein
bombs ignited a fire which killed 11 people, including five children,
and razed
Post by danny burstein
61 homes to the ground.
========
Post by danny burstein
Can you imagine our Conman-in-Chief ever apologizing for the many things
he has done that have cost lives?
Kudos to Mayor Goode.
Can you imagine ***@gmail.com posting to Usenet without making
an obnoxious comment about Trump? Can we declare Trump comments a modern
corrallary to Godwin's law?

Hey, shithead: Obama went hog-wild for drone warfare during his
administration. Under W, it was rarely used. Before W., it was merely
experimental. Did you care to make a comment about non-combatant deaths
under fog of war, which were substantial, or are the dead only dead
BECAUSE TRUMP?

Obama demonstrated that mass casualties in war were now cheap and
effective, and any tin-pot dictator, any guerilla group, any terrorist
group, any breakaway faction at all can have access to this now-perfected
technology capable of killing as many civilians as they could ever dream
of, with the huge advantage of not needed to send any of your own men
directly into the field of, er, battle.
m***@gmail.com
2020-05-11 21:20:54 UTC
< ship B.S.>

Typical Trump ass-kisser, always apologize for him and look the other way as he destroys democracy, the rule of law, kills thousands for lack of prevention, kills babies (after locking them up).

You and all Republicans are his enablers.

History will judge you harshly.
Adam H. Kerman
2020-05-11 22:23:23 UTC
Post by m***@gmail.com
< ship B.S.>
Hey, shithead:

It wasn't B.S.
Post by m***@gmail.com
Typical Trump ass-kisser, always apologize for him and look the other
way as he destroys democracy, the rule of law, kills thousands for lack
of prevention, kills babies (after locking them up).
You and all Republicans are his enablers.
History will judge you harshly.
Oh my. At no point did I defend Trump, whom I cannot stand. I called you
out, shithead, for posting about Trump in a thread that was supposed to
be about an article written by the former Philly mayor, which anyone not
a shithead might have been able to figure out from Subject.

It was unnecessary to defend Trump, which I did not do, in order to call
you a hypocrite. Clearly you just kissed Obama's ass and have just
apologized for all those mass civilian deaths as collateral damage that
were all too typical of the way war was conducted during the previous
administration.

It didn't take too much to demonstrate that you weren't the least bit
sympathetic to deaths as collateral damage. You just wanted to bash
Trump.

As we have free speech in this country, shithead, unlike where you come
from, you get to be a hypocrite. If you don't like your hypocrisy
exposed to the world, feel free to stop posting Trump-bashing followups
in threads that were started to discuss something entirely unrelated.

btw, shithead, I would defend a hypocrite's right to free speech before
I'd apologize for any of Trump's bad acts. I believe in free speech
and freedom of the press, but not Trump.
m***@gmail.com
2020-05-11 23:04:24 UTC
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Post by m***@gmail.com
< ship B.S.>
It wasn't B.S.
<snip>

I'm sorry you are having a bad day.

However, I do not feel the necessity to ask you permission for what I post and when I post it.

This was an off-topic post to begin with.

And just to counter you poor reading comprehension. The subject of the OP, former Mayor Goode, apologized for and took responsibility for the actions of the Philadelphia police on his watch in 1985. I'm sure that caused a reaction upon many thinking persons that "if only we had that among our elected officials today."

And guess who fits the description of the uncaring, never-acknowledging responsibility politician to the hilt in 2020?

One Donald John Trump.
Adam H. Kerman
2020-05-11 23:34:26 UTC
I'm sorry you are having a bad day. . . .
I'm vey sorry that reading comprehension still eludes you.
David Carson
2020-05-13 21:22:08 UTC
Post by m***@gmail.com
And just to counter you poor reading comprehension. The subject of the OP, former Mayor Goode, apologized for and took responsibility for the actions of the Philadelphia police on his watch in 1985. I'm sure that caused a reaction upon many thinking persons that "if only we had that among our elected officials today."
And guess who fits the description of the uncaring, never-acknowledging responsibility politician to the hilt in 2020?
One Donald John Trump.
So the fact that Obama authorized 526 drone strikes during his tenure
- that's more than one a week, every week, for 8 years - that killed
3,000 people doesn't seem at all pertinent to this discussion, to you.
And when you think of a politician in office right now, in 2020, who
committed atrocities upon his own citizens, you don't think of Andrew
Cuomo, who deliberately exposed tens of thousands of residents of
nursing homes - the MOST vulnerable - to the coronavirus. You don't
ask for Hillary Clinton to apologize for cheating Bernie Sanders out
of the Democratic nomination in 2016. You don't complain about Nancy
Pelosi ripping millions of investors off through her chronic insider
trading habit that's made her the third-wealthiest member of Congress.
No, they all get passes from you. Why? Because they're Democrats.
"History will judge you harshly." Indeed.