Robert Rodan, 83
2021-03-29 18:43:52 UTC
<https://deadline.com/2021/03/robert-rodan-dead-obituary-dark-shadows-actor-frankenstein-character-adam-83-1234723718/>

Robert Rodan Dies: Actor Who Played ‘Dark Shadows’ Frankenstein
Monster Was 83
By Greg Evans

Robert Rodan, an actor whose brief career made a lasting impact on
young Dark Shadows fans enthralled by his performance as the
supernatural soap’s Frankenstein-like character Adam, died March 25 of
heart failure in Oregon. He was 83.

His death was announced on the Dark Shadows newsletter Shadowgram.

The imposing Rodan, born Robert Trimas in Newark, New Jersey, was cast
in 1968 to play the ABC daytime drama’s latest addition to its stable
of monsters. Following the introduction of a vampire, a witch and
various ghosts, the Dan Curtis production decided to add a storyline
based on Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein.

With stitches scarring his face and manacles often on his feet,
Rodan’s Adam began as a silent, childlike innocent who turned violent
and monstrous after various mistreatments (the creature had been sewn
together from corpses by a mad scientist for the purpose of, somehow,
curing the vampire Barnabas Collins, played by Jonathan Frid).

Unlike other performers on the series, Rodan did not portray a
multitude of characters; when the Adam (and, inevitably, Eve)
storyline came to a close within the year, Rodan left the series. He
starred in the 1969 grindhouse drama The Minx before pursuing a real
estate career in Southern California.

Rodan returned to the Dark Shadows universe in the early 2000s with
occasional appearances on a series of audio dramas.

Rodan is survived by daughters Mandi and Laura, son Jordan and
granddaughter Brianna.

The actor’s death marks the third Dark Shadows cast member to pass
away in recent weeks. Geoffrey Scott, who played the soap’s Sky
Rumson, died Feb. 23 from Parkinson’s disease, and Christopher
Pennock, who played a Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde character on the show,
died Feb. 12 following a battle with cancer.
Kenny McCormack
2021-03-29 23:39:55 UTC
In article <***@4ax.com>,
Terry del Fuego <***@hotmail.com> wrote:
Post by Terry del Fuego
Unlike other performers on the series, Rodan did not portray a
multitude of characters; when the Adam (and, inevitably, Eve)
storyline came to a close within the year, Rodan left the series.
I can think of at least two others who only ever played a single role:

1) Victoria (Alexandra Moltke)
2) Barnabus (J. Frid)

Remember, Barnabus was literally the same person, in every time frame.

Also, it is noteworthy that these two characters are the only 2 who are
exactly the same person in the two original timelines: 1968 and 1795.
--
When someone tells me he/she is a Christian I check to see if I'm
still in posession of my wallet.
Kenny McCormack
2021-03-30 08:36:00 UTC
Post by Kenny McCormack
Post by Terry del Fuego
Unlike other performers on the series, Rodan did not portray a
multitude of characters; when the Adam (and, inevitably, Eve)
storyline came to a close within the year, Rodan left the series.
1) Victoria (Alexandra Moltke)
2) Barnabus (J. Frid)
Remember, Barnabus was literally the same person, in every time frame.
Also, it is noteworthy that these two characters are the only 2 who are
exactly the same person in the two original timelines: 1968 and 1795.
Oops, that should be 1966, not 1968.
--
That's the Trump playbook. Every action by Trump or his supporters can
be categorized as one (or more) of:

outrageous, incompetent, or mentally ill.
Terry del Fuego
2021-03-30 19:15:46 UTC
Post by Kenny McCormack
Oops, that should be 1966, not 1968.
Not that long ago I'd have had no idea what you were talking about ,
but it's confession time: While I'm old enough to have seen and loved
a few first-run episodes of "Dark Shadows" as an undiscriminating kid,
it's only very recently that I've actually made an effort to watch
more or less the entire thing in proper sequence.

As coincidence and fate would have it, I'm currently up to episode
600, which means I'm right in the middle of the Adam and Eve
storyline, which is why I knew who Robert Rodan was when I saw the
news.

I find DS addictively fascinating, at least as much for how often it
goes wrong as right. In a lot of ways (most ways?) it's objectively
bad, yet at the same time it's endlessly watchable. Though I may well
feel otherwise if it had no personal nostalgia value. And it may not
be as interesting if there wasn't a near-constant sense that
everything was on the verge of completely falling apart. A huge part
of the fun lies in the obviously-blown lines (or the uncomfortable
silences when someone just flat-out can't remember *anything*),
recalcitrant props, botched music/sound effect cues, things that are
visible but shouldn't be (microphones, the edges of sets, stagehands,
lights, sometimes even *cameras*), random studio noises and wobbly
things that are supposed to be solid. Given that editing the videotape
was so painful and expensive that it almost never happened, one can
only imagine what transpired in those occasional moments when they
clearly felt they had no choice. Which, of course, we're aware of now
because it could *only* be done clumsily and obviously.

Anyway, by my reckoning in the last few weeks alone I've killed
Beverly Cleary, Robert Rodan and, I've just learned, Malcom Cecil (he
died on Sunday...the same day I just happened to decide to listen to
Stevie Wonder's "Music of My Mind".)

J.D. Baldwin
2021-03-30 03:52:15 UTC
Post by Terry del Fuego
Robert Rodan, an actor whose brief career made a lasting impact on
young Dark Shadows fans enthralled by his performance as the
supernatural soap's Frankenstein-like character Adam, died March 25
of heart failure in Oregon. He was 83.
I liked the one where he fought Godzilla.
2021-03-30 18:36:16 UTC
On Tue, 30 Mar 2021 03:52:15 +0000 (UTC),
Post by J.D. Baldwin
I liked the one where he fought Godzilla.
I haven't exactly searched the entire Internet (yet), but I haven't
seen any explanation for why he took that stage name. Misspelled
"Rodin"? The fact that he was 6'4" may be relevant.