Report: June Cochran, 1963 Playmate of the Year
Brad Ferguson
2004-09-19 04:05:57 UTC
Word is on the net that June Cochran, the December 1962 Playmate of the
Month and 1963 Playmate of the Year, died "recently," according to a
note in the October issue of Playboy. Her 1962 data sheet, which I
found in a Playboy binaries group, puts her present age at 62.

I did a search to get some details, but couldn't find any, and the SSDI
was not helpful. I am, however, able to note that the 5'2" Ms.
Cochran, at 102 pounds, was the lightest Playmate of the Year ever.
She is also supposed to have been the model for Little Annie Fanny.
Hyfler/Rosner
2004-09-19 04:49:35 UTC
Post by Brad Ferguson
Word is on the net that June Cochran, the December 1962
Playmate of the
Month and 1963 Playmate of the Year, died "recently,"
according to a
note in the October issue of Playboy. Her 1962 data
sheet, which I
found in a Playboy binaries group, puts her present age at
62.
I did a search to get some details, but couldn't find any,
and the SSDI
was not helpful. I am, however, able to note that the
5'2" Ms.
Cochran, at 102 pounds, was the lightest Playmate of the
Year ever.
She is also supposed to have been the model for Little
Annie Fanny.
nothing on her death, but here's a very cool article from
The Independent:

June 15, 2004

HEADLINE: PLAYMATES, CURVES AND THE ECONOMIC OUTLOOK

BYLINE: BRIAN VINER

As famous people reveal what works of literature they will
be reading on the beach this summer, I have been
disappointed to find that none of them, not Melvyn Bragg nor
Germaine Greer nor even Ross Kemp, intends to get stuck into
"Playboy Playmate Curves - Changes in Facial and Body
Feature Preferences Across Social and Economic Conditions".
Admittedly, this is more of an academic paper than an
easy-to-wield paperback, and the Personality and Social
Psychology Bulletin, in which it is due to be published some
time soon, sounds a little on the dry side. But I can't
think of hardly anything that will be more fun to read on a
beach.

Apparently, the paper's author, a social psychologist from
Mercyhurst College, Pennsylvania, called Terry Pettijohn,
has found a correlation between the prevailing economic
climate and the kind of women that men find attractive. He
has reached his findings by studying loads of back issues of
Playboy magazine, and in particular the dimensions of the
Playmate of the Year since 1960, which I must say is the
kind of research that could tempt me back into academia.

Only kidding. I haven't felt the urge to pore through copies
of top-shelf magazines since I was 14. And even then the
pleasure of the experience was rather diluted by my mother,
who somehow discovered my modest collection of one Playboy,
one Penthouse and 32 copies of Health & Efficiency, even
though I had secreted them, with what I considered to be
enormous ingenuity, under my bed. "I found some magazines
under your bed,'' she said brightly over breakfast one
morning. "I've put them with your Look & Learns. I thought
that was the category they belonged under.''

Dr Pettijohn, meanwhile, has looked and learnt a great deal.
In a nutshell, which I concede is inappropriate imagery when
discussing the Playmate of the Year, he has found that in
periods when social and economic conditions in the United
States were difficult, the Playmates were likely to be
taller, heavier and more mature-looking. During happier
times for the economy, by contrast, they were shorter, more
curvaceous, and had larger eyes.

He cites the 1993 Playmate, Anna Nicole Smith, as the
perfect example to support his theory. Of all the Playmates
between 1960 and 2000, she was the heaviest, the tallest,
and had the largest waist measurement. And whaddya know,
1993 wasn't a particularly good year for the US. Whereas in
1963 and 1964, says Dr Pettijohn, when America was feeling
pretty good about itself, the Playmates were June Cochran
(the all-time lightest, at 7st 4lb) and Donna Michelle (the
all-time youngest, aged 18).

I'm not sure about Dr Pettijohn's assertion of a strong
American feel- good factor in 1963 and 1964. Wasn't that
around the time that a president was assassinated, and civil
rights campaigners were being beaten to death, and the
Vietnam War was kicking off? Not many reasons there for
America to feel good about itself. But I love the theory all
the same, and it certainly holds particular resonance in
Britain, where in 1979, unequivocally a time of grave
economic crisis, we embraced not Donna Michelle or Anna
Nicole but the even more mature-looking Margaret Hilda.

Maybe there is more to the theory than even Dr Pettijohn
thinks. Maybe the kind of women that men find attractive at
any one time is not so much a reflection of economic
conditions as an anticipation of them. Thus the popularity
of Jordan might mean that we are in for a period of
unnatural inflation. Or the fleeting fame of David Beckham's
alleged lover Rebecca Loos might suggest that the balance of
payments will shortly start swinging both ways. It's not as
ridiculous as it sounds. After all, wasn't the tricky
business of economic forecasting once defined as trying to
work out in which direction a car is heading by looking in
the rear-view mirror? Far easier to consult page three of
The Sun.

I don't mean to be disrespectful towards either Dr Pettijohn
or his theory, into which a lot of thinking, and looking,
has obviously gone. But at the same time, I can't help
thinking about Hugh Hefner holed up in the Playboy Mansion
in Los Angeles, picking his Playmate of the Year and
labouring under the delusion that for the last 40-odd years
he has been the embodiment of hedonism, when it now emerges
that he should have been fronting The Money Programme.

I went to the Playboy Mansion a couple of years ago, for
Hefner's Valentine's Day party. There were lots of former
Playmates of the Year there, not all of them encumbered by
many clothes, and if only I'd known then what I know now, I
could have wandered around sizing them up and speculating
what year they represented, and what the measurements of the
National Debt were at the time. While I was there, I
strolled into the grotto, which is where the swimming-pool
dives underground and most of the hanky- panky takes place.
There, excitingly, I was propositioned by a near-naked woman
who put her hand on my knee and asked me if I would like a
mansion experience. I made my excuses and left, but now
realise that I should have stayed. I bet she only wanted to
ask me whether I knew Hamish McRae.
Brad Ferguson
This was wonderful. Thanks.
Bill Schenley
2004-09-19 05:10:10 UTC
Post by Brad Ferguson
Word is on the net that June Cochran, the
December 1962 Playmate of the Month and 1963
Playmate of the Year, died "recently," according
to a note in the October issue of Playboy. Her
1962 data sheet, which I found in a Playboy
binaries group, puts her present age at 62.
I did a search to get some details, but couldn't find
any, and the SSDI was not helpful. I am, however,
able to note that the 5'2" Ms. Cochran, at 102 pounds,
was the lightest Playmate of the Year ever. She is also
supposed to have been the model for Little Annie
Fanny.
According to junecochran.com ... She died May 21st, 2004 in Wisconsin.
Her birth date is listed as February 20th, 1942.

Some recent photos of her and her daughter:

http://www.junecochran.com/

In her Bunny costume:

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/explayboybunnies2/photoalbums/beautifulbunnies/bb6.html
The Kentucky Wizard
2004-09-19 05:22:45 UTC
Post by Bill Schenley
http://www.junecochran.com/
http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/explayboybunnies2/photoalbums/beautifulbunnies/bb6.html
That's nothing, you should see the one of her *out* of her bunny
costume.......
--
© The Wiz ®
Brad Ferguson
2004-09-19 16:15:31 UTC
Post by Bill Schenley
Post by Brad Ferguson
Word is on the net that June Cochran, the
December 1962 Playmate of the Month and 1963
Playmate of the Year, died "recently," according
to a note in the October issue of Playboy. Her
1962 data sheet, which I found in a Playboy
binaries group, puts her present age at 62.
I did a search to get some details, but couldn't find
any, and the SSDI was not helpful. I am, however,
able to note that the 5'2" Ms. Cochran, at 102 pounds,
was the lightest Playmate of the Year ever. She is also
supposed to have been the model for Little Annie
Fanny.
According to junecochran.com ... She died May 21st, 2004 in Wisconsin.
Her birth date is listed as February 20th, 1942.
http://www.junecochran.com/
Thanks, Bill. Shoot, you'd think Googling for "june cochran" playboy
playmate would have turned that up.
The Kentucky Wizard
2004-09-19 18:44:26 UTC
Post by Brad Ferguson
Post by Bill Schenley
Post by Brad Ferguson
Word is on the net that June Cochran, the
December 1962 Playmate of the Month and 1963
Playmate of the Year, died "recently," according
to a note in the October issue of Playboy. Her
1962 data sheet, which I found in a Playboy
binaries group, puts her present age at 62.
I did a search to get some details, but couldn't find
any, and the SSDI was not helpful. I am, however,
able to note that the 5'2" Ms. Cochran, at 102 pounds,
was the lightest Playmate of the Year ever. She is also
supposed to have been the model for Little Annie
Fanny.
According to junecochran.com ... She died May 21st, 2004 in
Wisconsin.
Her birth date is listed as February 20th, 1942.
http://www.junecochran.com/
Thanks, Bill. Shoot, you'd think Googling for "june cochran" playboy
playmate would have turned that up.
Brad, I emailed you a pic, did you get it?
--
© The Wiz ®
Brad Ferguson
2004-09-20 05:05:17 UTC
Yes, I did, Wiz. Thank you.
The Kentucky Wizard
2004-09-20 06:49:07 UTC
Post by Brad Ferguson
Post by The Kentucky Wizard
Brad, I emailed you a pic, did you get it?
Yes, I did, Wiz. Thank you.
You're welcome, and you're also right, Brad. It is mild compared to
today's standards. :-)
--
© The Wiz ®
t***@gmail.com
2020-05-19 03:04:20 UTC
What was the cause of death to Playmate June Cochran