Alexander the Great now going gay?
Add Reply
radioacti...@gmail.com
2024-02-06 21:46:45 UTC
History's oft-chronicled and oft-celebrated Macedonian conqueror--who died at age 32 in Babylon during June 323 BC, about a year prior to his onetime royal-tutor Aristotle's death back home in Greece during the summer of 322 BC--is once again being portrayed onscreen...but this time, kissing a guy!

BRYAN STYBLE/Florida
===================
https://metro.co.uk/2024/02/06/netflix-comes-fire-turning-alexander-great-gay-20232792/
Big Mongo
2024-02-07 20:58:23 UTC
Post by ***@gmail.com
History's oft-chronicled and oft-celebrated Macedonian conqueror--who died at age 32 in Babylon during June 323 BC, about a year prior to his onetime royal-tutor Aristotle's death back home in Greece during the summer of 322 BC--is once again being portrayed onscreen...but this time, kissing a guy!
It's more of the "awoke" generation's political correction bullshit and a hallmark of bad/cliched and
sloppy writing. Run out of ideas in the last 20 minutes of a program? Easy, just introduce Alexander's
gay love interest into the plot. Throw the audience an improbable and illogical curveball plot twist to pad
out the hour and take home a big check. Nobody buying your soap? Create a commercial with a salt and
pepper couple and their children, or better yet their two gay dads happily going on about how it makes their
skivvies brighter and whiter. It's all part and parcel of a social adjustment agenda and them shoving it in
people's faces and that really doesn't work very well anymore.
Lenona
2024-02-07 21:26:02 UTC
Um, it's not exactly news that he was bisexual.

People just didn't want to hear about it, back when the old movies were made and the old biographies were written.

I believe it was the same with Leonardo and Michelangelo, for most of the 20th century?
Lenona
2024-02-08 20:37:19 UTC
Post by Big Mongo
It's more of the "awoke" generation's political correction bullshit and a hallmark of bad/cliched and
sloppy writing. Run out of ideas in the last 20 minutes of a program? Easy, just introduce Alexander's
gay love interest into the plot. Throw the audience an improbable and illogical curveball plot twist to pad
out the hour and take home a big check. Nobody buying your soap? Create a commercial with a salt and
pepper couple and their children, or better yet their two gay dads happily going on about how it makes their
skivvies brighter and whiter. It's all part and parcel of a social adjustment agenda and them shoving it in
people's faces and that really doesn't work very well anymore.
How can you be so sure?

From the pages of a certain old memoir:

"As Brophy's First Law says, it is not the simple statement of facts that ushers in freedom; it is the constant repetition of them that has this liberating effect. Tolerance is the result not of enlightenment, but of boredom."

Besides, the younger generations have no memory of a TV world in which such happy couples didn't even exist. Only older generations remember when minority characters existed on TV and in the movies only to be degraded - for the sake of cheap laughs.

It reminds me of what Peter McWilliams wrote in his 1993 civil liberties book, "Ain't Nobody's Business If You Do."

"When writing for the media, it's easier to work in stereotypes than to create flesh-and-blood characters. Need a quick laugh? Throw in an effeminate gay. And make him a hairdresser. Sort of a transvestite. Ha ha. Need someone to die of a drug overdose? Make it a prostitute. Need to show someone completely down and out with no hope of redemption? What else? A drug addict. Using stereotypes is a form of shorthand communication: the screenwriter doesn't have to work; the audience doesn't have to think. Hollywood was VERY unhappy when social pressure demanded that blacks no longer automatically be portrayed as lazy and shiftless, women no longer be automatically weak and helpless, and Jews no longer shifty and conniving. The film and television industry now has a new set of shorthand - mostly involving consensual crimes - and it has no desire to lose it."

More on the book (this includes a link to the paperback edition - but it's better if you can find an actual paperback COPY; you'll see why):

https://groups.google.com/g/rec.arts.movies.past-films/c/yq0qCRypv3c/m/mHegZW5ioDMJ

Not to mention all the old movies and TV where there were no black people - because too many white viewers would have refused to watch, back then. They didn't want to be reminded that black people EXIST.

I believe the North Carolina-based "The Andy Griffith Show" is one example? (I doubt I ever sat through a whole episode, so I can't say for sure.)
Lenona
2024-02-08 21:31:32 UTC
Post by Lenona
I believe the North Carolina-based "The Andy Griffith Show" is one example? (I doubt I ever sat through a whole episode, so I can't say for sure.)
OK, I found out. (Rockne Tarrington appeared in...1967. For one episode.)

https://www.quora.com/Why-does-the-Andy-Griffith-show-not-have-black-folks

"Question: Why does the Andy Griffith show not have black folks?"

"The series did have Black actors in the roles of extras and background characters throughout its run. What it did not have, however, was a Black actor in a speaking role until Rockne Tarrington was cast on the series as a football coach who teaches Opie that an athlete can indeed be well-rounded enough to also play the piano. There was also a Black main character in the series spinoff of Mayberry RFD following the end of the main series.

"As to why there weren’t many there were likely two main reasons:

"Racism - The levels of racism in 1960s America were particularly high. Had the series cast a Black actor in a major speaking role, it likely would have been boycotted by Southern television stations and the series might have been cancelled due to low ratings, or its inability to garner major advertisers. While there were some series with Black leading characters during the 1960s (I Spy, Julia, etc.) they didn’t last very long or they featured a well-known Black performer who was already successful elsewhere.
"The difficulty of integrating such a character in a rural Southern setting - A Black character would not be able to eat meals at restaurants with the White characters, he or she wouldn’t have been able to be a guest in their home; nor would they have been able to be considered as a potential romantic partner. The very strict limitations of the character in a 1960s setting would have made it less appealing for producers to cast such a person.

"Yes, there were Black actors on the series.

"However it wasn’t until late in the series that they had speaking roles, and there was only a Black main character in the followup series to the main program."
Big Mongo
2024-02-08 22:51:05 UTC
Post by Lenona
How can you be so sure?
I can't.

So much time has passed as to render it irrelevant... The victors and the survivors
are the writers of what passes as history these days and as you get further away from
the actual event it becomes almost impossible to tell fact from fiction and who has a
hidden agenda and who doesn't. Time has a way of reducing everything to an incomprehensible
muddle of randomness and renders the actual facts and motivations relatively meaningless and
fraught with unknown errors and facts that will never be known.

Jim Nabors was adored by the USMC for his portrayal of Gomer Pyle until he moved to Hawaii, started a
pineapple plantation, and spent his retirement years buggering his boyfriend, so I guess how you're perceived
by history depends on who is doing the remembering...

Genghis Khan was a Nazi!!!!! Arguing on the internet is like winning the Special Olympics. Even
if you win, you're still retarded...
A Friend
2024-02-08 23:13:16 UTC
Post by Big Mongo
Jim Nabors was adored by the USMC for his portrayal of Gomer Pyle
until he moved to Hawaii, started a pineapple plantation, and spent
his retirement years buggering his boyfriend
You mean his husband, Stan Cadwallader. They got married in 2013 in
Washington state, as soon as it became legal for them to do so.
Post by Big Mongo
so I guess how you're perceived by history depends on who is doing
the remembering...
The USMC made Gomer Pyle an honorary corporal in 2001 and promoted him
to lance corporal in 2007. The USMC said: "Semper Fi, Gomer Pyle. Rest
in peace Jim Nabors, one of the few to ever be named an Honorary
Marine."

Looks like Mr. Nabors remained "adored by the USMC" regardless, just as
he should have been.
Big Mongo
2024-02-08 23:49:24 UTC
You mean his husband, Stan Cadwallader. They got married in 2013 in
Washington state, as soon as it became legal for them to do so.
Whoever he was he wasn't worth the number of brain cells needs to remember him
by.
The USMC made Gomer Pyle an honorary corporal in 2001 and promoted him
to lance corporal in 2007. The USMC said: "Semper Fi, Gomer Pyle. Rest
in peace Jim Nabors, one of the few to ever be named an Honorary
Marine."
Wow, promotion in reverse... Lance corp (E3) comes before corporal (E4)...

Well, I was an actual corporal in the crotch from 1979 -1984. If any of your platoon
mates even looked slightly bent, the platoon made their life a living hell and they didn't
stick around for very long. It wasn't condoned or tolerated and grounds for a dishonorable
discharge if caught.
Looks like Mr. Nabors remained "adored by the USMC" regardless, just as
he should have been.
Not by the boots on the ground. Denouncing him publicly would have been bad for
public relations so they let it slide since there was fuck-all else they could do about
without looking bad.
A Friend
2024-02-09 03:47:27 UTC
Post by Big Mongo
You mean his husband, Stan Cadwallader. They got married in 2013 in
Washington state, as soon as it became legal for them to do so.
Whoever he was he wasn't worth the number of brain cells needs to
remember him by.
Then why bother us about him? Also, I looked it up. No memory
required.
Post by Big Mongo
The USMC made Gomer Pyle an honorary corporal in 2001 and promoted
him to lance corporal in 2007. The USMC said: "Semper Fi, Gomer
Pyle. Rest in peace Jim Nabors, one of the few to ever be named an
Honorary Marine."
Wow, promotion in reverse... Lance corp (E3) comes before corporal (E4)...
There's no such rank as "honorary corporal." The Corps was free to do
what it wanted with it.
Post by Big Mongo
Well, I was an actual corporal in the crotch from 1979 -1984. If
any of your platoon mates even looked slightly bent, the platoon made
their life a living hell and they didn't stick around for very long.
It wasn't condoned or tolerated and grounds for a dishonorable
discharge if caught.
Looks like Mr. Nabors remained "adored by the USMC" regardless,
just as he should have been.
Not by the boots on the ground. Denouncing him publicly would have
been bad for public relations so they let it slide since there was
fuck-all else they could do about without looking bad.
There was absolutely no reason for the Corps to honor Nabors in 2001
and 2007 other than that it wanted to, and that it felt he deserved the
honor. I'm content to rely on the Corps' opinion.
Louis Epstein
2024-02-09 19:43:44 UTC
Post by A Friend
Post by Big Mongo
Jim Nabors was adored by the USMC for his portrayal of Gomer Pyle
until he moved to Hawaii, started a pineapple plantation, and spent
his retirement years buggering his boyfriend
You mean his husband, Stan Cadwallader. They got married in 2013 in
Washington state, as soon as it became legal for them to do so.
Which was a mistake by the legal authorities to legalize,
and by Nabors and his friend to take advantage of.

The interests of human society are better served by the status of
civil marriage being completely abolished than by its being allowed
to include even a single instance of same-sex partners.
Post by A Friend
Post by Big Mongo
so I guess how you're perceived by history depends on who is doing
the remembering...
The USMC made Gomer Pyle an honorary corporal in 2001 and promoted him
to lance corporal in 2007. The USMC said: "Semper Fi, Gomer Pyle. Rest
in peace Jim Nabors, one of the few to ever be named an Honorary
Marine."
Looks like Mr. Nabors remained "adored by the USMC" regardless, just as
he should have been.
His error in treating any same-sex sexual attractions that may
have afflicted him as ever entitled to gratification should be
regretted by everyone,but not treated as defining him.