Jane Withers 1926-2021
2021-08-08 22:24:38 UTC
Jane Withers,born April 12th 2021,died August 7th 2021 according
to Deadline and others.

She appeared in films starting in the 1930s,but I'm of the right
age to know her mainly as Josephine the Plumber from the Comet
commercials.(So much for my daydreams of someday presenting her
with a NEW IMPROVED version of Other Leading Cleanser (so
branded) that was better than Comet).

radioacti...@gmail.com
2021-08-09 00:06:52 UTC
Sad to see her go; Withers was a reliable character actress in all stripes of cinematic comedy, and I even seem to recall her in the background cast of the occasional drama here and there. (Unless my aging mind is somehow conflating that with her long-running dramatic gig as Josephine.).

Actually, I think Josephine (and thus Comet) would have benefited had Withers's character had some kind of visual schtick in her commercials. (As did Madge the Palmalive-hawking manicurist: "You're SOAKING in it!" [cut to female hand jerked out of Palmalive-filled bowl] )

2021-08-09 07:55:07 UTC
Post by ***@gmail.com
Sad to see her go; Withers was a reliable character actress in all stripes of cinematic comedy, and I even seem to recall her in the background cast of the occasional drama here and there. (Unless my aging mind is somehow conflating that with her long-running dramatic gig as Josephine.).
Actually, I think Josephine (and thus Comet) would have benefited had Withers's character had some kind of visual schtick in her commercials. (As did Madge the Palmalive-hawking manicurist: "You're SOAKING in it!" [cut to female hand jerked out of Palmalive-filled bowl] )
BRYAN STYBLE/Florida
For me,as I said...the lingering memory of those commercials for me
was Other Leading Cleanser,which was always shaken out of its gray
cylinder with the brand name in dark ALL CAPS to do a worse job on
the stain across the drain from the one on which Josephine used
Comet to do a better job.

I want to see Other Leading Cleanser reformulated to turn the tables.
With no change in the packaging except a splashy "IMPROVED!" and
perhaps fine print specifying that it's now better than Comet.

(My mother used Ajax).

Larc
2021-08-09 13:40:28 UTC
On Sun, 8 Aug 2021 22:24:38 -0000 (UTC), Louis Epstein <***@top.put.com> wrote:

| Jane Withers,born April 12th 2021,died August 7th 2021 according
| to Deadline and others.
|
| She appeared in films starting in the 1930s,but I'm of the right
| age to know her mainly as Josephine the Plumber from the Comet
| commercials.(So much for my daydreams of someday presenting her
| with a NEW IMPROVED version of Other Leading Cleanser (so
| branded) that was better than Comet).

While I think most older people will mainly remember Jane Withers as Josephine the
Plumber, she had a long career in movies and TV starting back in 1932 when she was
only 6. Anytime I hear her name, I always think of her as Vashti Snythe in Giant
(1956). If she ever turned in less than a first class job acting, I didn't see it.

Beware a "New & Improved" label on any package. It almost inevitably means you're
getting less of the product for your money. The term is actually code for *new*
packaging (often smaller) and *improved* profit for the manufacturer.

Larc
Lenona
2021-08-09 16:41:26 UTC
From the 1983 encyclopedia The Illustrated Who's Who of the Cinema, by Lloyd, Fuller, and Desser (the B&W photo of Withers shows her at 13, maybe, but she looks younger):

"Jane Withers' violent outbursts, sneering cynicism, and lashing tongue were a refreshing change from the saccharine cuteness of most Hollywood child stars - she was Shirley Temple's alter ego. In Bright Eyes (1934) Withers plays the sadistic brat Joy Smythe who menaces the adorable Temple. Withers was steered into a show business career by a mother determined to make the most of her daughter's talents. She was a capable impersonator and dancer and at the age of three was singing and acting in her own radio show. At the age of five, veteran Jane was moved to Hollywood by her mother, where endless visits to agents and studios paid off when she was selected as an extra for Handle With Care. From that time she was a busy actress and one who would still be in films 30 years later. As a child she once made 31 movies in an eight year stretch. She then continued as a star through her teens and twenties until she married in 1947, emerging later from her semi-retirement to appear in Giant."

2021-08-10 06:57:55 UTC
Post by Lenona
[...]
Withers was in a supporting role in an episode of "Murder She Wrote"
that I was just watching tonight.

Another character on that episode ("Ship of Thieves") was played by
Ellia Thompson...I'm wondering,if you're more confident in your
recognition of faces than I am,if you would say she is the same
person as the lawyer of that name one also finds on Google...whose
cited career as such begins about when that of the actress ends.
The lawyer's ecjlaw.com bio does not mention her formerly being an actress,
unlike the Southwestern Law School (swlaw.edu) bio of adjunct professor
and LA County prosecutor Anastasia Sagorsky,though Thompson has the same
name in both professions while Sagorsky acted under a stage name
(Staci Keanan) that the SWLaw mention of her entertainment career omits.