Drue Heinz (Heinz 57 family), 103, philanthropist/arts patron/literary magazine publisher
2018-03-30 18:13:02 UTC
https://www.bizjournals.com/pittsburgh/news/2018/03/30/drue-heinz-prominent-philanthropist-dies.html

Philanthropy & Nonprofits

Drue Heinz, prominent philanthropist, dies at age 103

By Patty Tascarella
– Senior Reporter, Pittsburgh Business Times

3 hours ago

Philanthropist and champion of the arts Drue Heinz died peacefully at Lasswade, Scotland, on Friday, The Heinz Endowments said. She was 103.

The widow of the late H.J. Heinz II of Pittsburgh co-founded Ecco Press, published ANTAEUS magazine and served as publisher of The Paris Review from 1993 until her retirement in 2008.

Over the years, she was an active board member of the Metropolitan Museum of Art, the MacDowell Colony, the Pierpont Morgan Library, the American Academy in Rome and served on the International Council of the Museum of Modern Art.

In Pittsburgh, she joined the board of the Howard Heinz Endowment in 1973, which later became The Heinz Endowments, and became director emeritus in 1994. Heinz was closely involved in the endowments’ initiative to develop Pittsburgh’s Heinz Hall in 1971 and its efforts to create downtown’s Cultural District under the leadership of her late husband in partnership with the city’s corporate, cultural and political leaders.

She was also a director of the Carnegie Museum of Art where she founded the Heinz Architectural Center in honor of her late husband. She endowed the Drue Heinz Literature Prize at the University of Pittsburgh, a national prize that, since 1980 has annually provided for publication of a collection of short stories and sponsored an ongoing lecture series which brings prominent authors to Pittsburgh to speak.

Heinz Endowments Chairman André Heinz provided the following statement about his late stepgrandmother:

“Drue was always a bit of a mystery to me in my childhood, which is not surprising considering the difference in age and the international life that she and my grandfather enjoyed, but as I became an adult and gained increasing insight into her life, I discovered a very private person with very outward interests, notably in literature, art, architecture, philanthropy and her friendships. During one London visit, she explained to me that one reason she was so productive was that she found sleep rather elusive, so in its stead, she read books. On another, also well into what for most of us would be considered ‘our later years’, as the clock passed 6 or 7, she asked me if I was busy that evening, to which I replied not, whereupon she grabbed my arm and said ‘We’re going out to dinner then’ and a few turns around the block later found us in a fabulous Japanese restaurant with some friends of hers discussing the world. We each in our own way find how best to remember and honor those who have touched and been a part of us; for my part I feel I shall continue to discover her presence in the world that informed her zeal for life, and to which she gave back in return.”
Diner
2018-03-30 19:23:22 UTC
https://www.bizjournals.com/pittsburgh/news/2018/03/30/drue-heinz-prominent-philanthropist-dies.html
The widow of the late H.J. Heinz II of Pittsburgh co-founded Ecco Press, published ANTAEUS magazine and served as publisher of The Paris Review from 1993 until her retirement in 2008.
She was Heinz's third wife, and the stepmother of Senator John Heinz (1938-1991).