Roy Clark ('Hee Haw') Dead at 85
2018-11-15 17:51:02 UTC
Roy Clark, country music legend and 'Hee Haw' star, dead at 85

By Sasha Savitsky | Fox News

Roy Clark, the legendary country music singer and co-host of "Hee Haw,"
has died. He was 85.

A rep for the singer told Fox News Clark died on Thursday at his Tulsa,
Okla., home due to complications from pneumonia.

Clark was "Hee Haw" host or co-host for its entire 24-year run, with
Buck Owens his best-known co-host. The country music and comedy show's
last episode aired in 1993, though reruns continued for a few years
thereafter.

"'Hee Haw' won't go away. It brings a smile to too many faces," he said
in 2004, when the show was distributed on VHS and DVD for the first
time.

Clark played the guitar, banjo, fiddle, mandolin, harmonica and other
instruments. His skills brought him gigs as a guest performer with many
top orchestras, including the Boston Pops. In 1976 he headlined a tour
of the Soviet Union, breaking boundaries that were usually closed to
Americans.

And of course, he also was a member of the Grand Ole Opry.

His hits included "The Tips of My Fingers" (1963), "Yesterday When I
Was Young" (1969), "Come Live With Me" (1973) and "Honeymoon Feeling"
(1974). He was also known for his instrumental versions of "Malaguena,"
on 12-string guitar, and "Ghost Riders in the Sky."

He was inducted into the Country Music Hall of Fame in 2009, and
emotionally told the crowd how moving it was "just to be associated
yourself with the members of the Country Music Hall of Fame and imagine
that your name will be said right along with all the list."

In his 1994 autobiography, "My Life in Spite of Myself," he said
"Yesterday, When I Was Young" had "opened a lot of people's eyes not
only to what I could do but to the whole fertile and still largely
untapped field of country music, from the Glen Campbells and the Kenny
Rogerses, right on through to the Garth Brookses and Vince Gills."

Clark was a guest host on "The Tonight Show" several times in the 1960s
and 1970s when it was rare for a country performer to land such a role.
His fans included not just musicians, but baseball great Mickey Mantle.
The Yankees outfielder was moved to tears by "Yesterday When I Was
Young" and for years made Clark promise to sing it at his memorial — a
request granted after Mantle died in 1995.

Beginning in 1983, Clark operated the Roy Clark Celebrity Theatre in
Branson, Missouri, and was one of the first country entertainers to
open a theater there. Dozens followed him.

He was a touring artist as late as the 2000s. Over the years, he played
at venues around the world: Carnegie Hall in New York, the Sporting
Club in Monte Carlo, the Grand Palace in Brussels and the Rossiya
Theatre in Moscow.

Clark was born in Meherrin, Virginia, and received his first guitar on
his 14th Christmas. He was playing in his father's square dance band at
age 15.

Roy Clark and Brad Paisley perform onstage at the 50th annual CMA
Awards at the Bridgestone Arena on November 2, 2016 in Nashville,
Tennessee.
Roy Clark and Brad Paisley perform onstage at the 50th annual CMA
Awards at the Bridgestone Arena on November 2, 2016 in Nashville,
Tennessee. (Getty)
In the 1950s, Clark played in bands in the Washington, D.C., area. In
1960, he got the chance to front the band of country singer Wanda
Jackson. He also performed regularly in Las Vegas. He got his first
recording contract, with Capitol Records, in 1962.

He appeared on Jimmy Dean's TV show "Town and Country Time" and took
over the show when Dean left.

In 1997 he released "Roy Clark's Christmas Memories."

Clark told The Associated Press in 2004 that "Hee Haw" was like a
family reunion.

"We became a part of the family. The viewers were sort of part owners
of the show. They identified with these clowns, and we had good music."

Clark said the hour-long program of country music and corny jokes
capped off his career.

"This was the icing on the cake. This put my face and name together."

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/roy-clark-country-music-legend-and-
hee-haw-star-dead-at-85
That Derek
2018-11-15 18:26:24 UTC
Where, where are you tonight?
Why did you leave here all alone ... ?
Rhino
2018-11-15 18:33:30 UTC
Post by A Friend
[...]
I remember when he appeared as himself on The Odd Couple (the original)
and played something classical instead of his usually country stuff....
Rhino
Ubiquitous
2018-11-15 19:53:48 UTC
Post by Rhino
I remember when he appeared as himself on The Odd Couple (the original)
and played something classical instead of his usually country stuff....
Didn't he make several appearances on THE BEVERLY HILLBILLIES?
Rhino
2018-11-15 20:07:05 UTC
Post by Ubiquitous
Post by Rhino
I remember when he appeared as himself on The Odd Couple (the original)
and played something classical instead of his usually country stuff....
Didn't he make several appearances on THE BEVERLY HILLBILLIES?
That's possible. I didn't stay with Hillbillies all the way through so
he may well have been on some episodes "with Jed and all his kin". Hmm.
IMDB says you're right: 3 appearances as Cousin Roy. And I was wrong; he
didn't appear as himself in The Odd Couple; he played a character named
Willie Boggs. He has some other TV and movie credits as well (as actors)
and also several soundtrack appearances.
Rhino
super70s
2018-11-16 05:42:12 UTC
Not mentioned in the obit was his musical contribution to the fine 1970
Gene Hackman/Melvyn Douglas drama "I Never Sang For My Father."
Ubiquitous
2018-11-16 12:30:52 UTC
Post by Rhino
Post by Ubiquitous
Post by Rhino
I remember when he appeared as himself on The Odd Couple (the original)
and played something classical instead of his usually country stuff....
Didn't he make several appearances on THE BEVERLY HILLBILLIES?
That's possible. I didn't stay with Hillbillies all the way through so
he may well have been on some episodes "with Jed and all his kin". Hmm.
IMDB says you're right: 3 appearances as Cousin Roy. And I was wrong; he
didn't appear as himself in The Odd Couple; he played a character named
Willie Boggs. He has some other TV and movie credits as well (as actors)
and also several soundtrack appearances.
Isn't Willie Boggs one of the guys who the theme song to BEVERLY HILLBILLIES?
Larc
2018-11-16 14:47:02 UTC
On Fri, 16 Nov 2018 07:30:52 -0500, Ubiquitous <***@polaris.net> wrote:

| ***@example.com wrote:

| >> Didn't he make several appearances on THE BEVERLY HILLBILLIES?
| >
| >That's possible. I didn't stay with Hillbillies all the way through so
| >he may well have been on some episodes "with Jed and all his kin". Hmm.
| >IMDB says you're right: 3 appearances as Cousin Roy. And I was wrong; he
| >didn't appear as himself in The Odd Couple; he played a character named
| >Willie Boggs. He has some other TV and movie credits as well (as actors)
| >and also several soundtrack appearances.
|
| Isn't Willie Boggs one of the guys who the theme song to BEVERLY HILLBILLIES?

Paul Henning wrote "The Ballad of Jed Clampett." It was played by Lester Flatt and
Earl Scruggs. Jerry Scoggins sang it in the show opening.

Larc
anim8rfsk
2018-11-16 15:00:59 UTC
Post by Ubiquitous
Post by Rhino
Post by Ubiquitous
Post by Rhino
I remember when he appeared as himself on The Odd Couple (the original)
and played something classical instead of his usually country stuff....
Didn't he make several appearances on THE BEVERLY HILLBILLIES?
That's possible. I didn't stay with Hillbillies all the way through so
he may well have been on some episodes "with Jed and all his kin". Hmm.
IMDB says you're right: 3 appearances as Cousin Roy. And I was wrong; he
didn't appear as himself in The Odd Couple; he played a character named
Willie Boggs. He has some other TV and movie credits as well (as actors)
and also several soundtrack appearances.
Isn't Willie Boggs one of the guys who the theme song to BEVERLY HILLBILLIES?
No. Flatt & Scruggs.
--
Join your old RAT friends at
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1688985234647266/
Dimensional Traveler
2018-11-16 16:15:07 UTC
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Ubiquitous
Post by Rhino
Post by Ubiquitous
Post by Rhino
I remember when he appeared as himself on The Odd Couple (the original)
and played something classical instead of his usually country stuff....
Didn't he make several appearances on THE BEVERLY HILLBILLIES?
That's possible. I didn't stay with Hillbillies all the way through so
he may well have been on some episodes "with Jed and all his kin". Hmm.
IMDB says you're right: 3 appearances as Cousin Roy. And I was wrong; he
didn't appear as himself in The Odd Couple; he played a character named
Willie Boggs. He has some other TV and movie credits as well (as actors)
and also several soundtrack appearances.
Isn't Willie Boggs one of the guys who the theme song to BEVERLY HILLBILLIES?
No. Flatt & Scruggs.
Its early in my morning and my brain may not be fully awake but "Flatt &
Scruggs" sounds like the punchline to a fart joke.
instinct are running screaming.
Rhino
2018-11-16 17:31:12 UTC
Post by Ubiquitous
Post by Rhino
Post by Ubiquitous
Post by Rhino
I remember when he appeared as himself on The Odd Couple (the original)
and played something classical instead of his usually country stuff....
Didn't he make several appearances on THE BEVERLY HILLBILLIES?
That's possible. I didn't stay with Hillbillies all the way through so
he may well have been on some episodes "with Jed and all his kin". Hmm.
IMDB says you're right: 3 appearances as Cousin Roy. And I was wrong; he
didn't appear as himself in The Odd Couple; he played a character named
Willie Boggs. He has some other TV and movie credits as well (as actors)
and also several soundtrack appearances.
Isn't Willie Boggs one of the guys who the theme song to BEVERLY HILLBILLIES?
You're thinking of Flatt and SCRUGGS :-)
Rhino
anim8rfsk
2018-11-16 17:57:09 UTC
Post by Rhino
Post by Ubiquitous
Post by Rhino
Post by Ubiquitous
Post by Rhino
I remember when he appeared as himself on The Odd Couple (the original)
and played something classical instead of his usually country stuff....
Didn't he make several appearances on THE BEVERLY HILLBILLIES?
That's possible. I didn't stay with Hillbillies all the way through so
he may well have been on some episodes "with Jed and all his kin". Hmm.
IMDB says you're right: 3 appearances as Cousin Roy. And I was wrong; he
didn't appear as himself in The Odd Couple; he played a character named
Willie Boggs. He has some other TV and movie credits as well (as actors)
and also several soundtrack appearances.
Isn't Willie Boggs one of the guys who the theme song to BEVERLY HILLBILLIES?
You're thinking of Flatt and SCRUGGS :-)
My favorite brand of ice cream!
Dave Garrett
2018-11-18 04:30:03 UTC
In article <pske5o$jsg$***@dont-email.me>, ***@example.com
says...
Post by Rhino
and played something classical instead of his usually country stuff....
He played "Malaguena":

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malague%C3%B1a_(song)

And the video:

Dave
A Friend
2018-11-18 22:25:57 UTC
Post by Dave Garrett
says...
Post by Rhino
and played something classical instead of his usually country stuff....
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malague%C3%B1a_(song)
http://youtu.be/-xssnp7R51A
My best guess is that Roy Clark played a classical piece because Tony
Randall suggested it. Tony was always trying to class up the joint,
and he played a key role in virtually eliminating canned laughter from
TV shows.
Larc
2018-11-19 06:43:26 UTC
On Sun, 18 Nov 2018 17:25:57 -0500, A Friend <***@noway.com> wrote:

| In article <***@208.90.168.18>, Dave Garrett
| <***@compassnet.com> wrote:
|
| > In article <pske5o$jsg$***@dont-email.me>, ***@example.com
| > says...
| >
| > > I remember when he appeared as himself on The Odd Couple (the
| > original)
| > > and played something classical instead of his usually country stuff....
| >
| > He played "Malaguena":
| >
| > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malague%C3%B1a_(song)
| >
| > And the video:
| >
| > http://youtu.be/-xssnp7R51A
|
| My best guess is that Roy Clark played a classical piece because Tony
| Randall suggested it. Tony was always trying to class up the joint,
| and he played a key role in virtually eliminating canned laughter from
| TV shows.

I wish he had been able to get it eliminated entirely. When I hear canned laughter,
I think the producers must believe their viewers are so stupid that they need cues to
know when they should laugh.

Larc
Kenny McCormack
2018-11-19 09:37:05 UTC
In article <***@4ax.com>,
Larc <***@notmyaddress.com> wrote:
Post by Larc
I wish he had been able to get it eliminated entirely. When I hear canned laughter,
I think the producers must believe their viewers are so stupid that they need cues to
know when they should laugh.
Of course.

And this surprises you or concerns exactly why?

We live in stupid times.
--
Trump has normalized hate.

The media has normalized Trump.
Terry del Fuego
2018-11-20 16:12:42 UTC
Post by A Friend
My best guess is that Roy Clark played a classical piece because Tony
Randall suggested it. Tony was always trying to class up the joint,
and he played a key role in virtually eliminating canned laughter from
TV shows.
I don't remember ever seeing any of the first season of "The Odd
Couple" in first-run. Never watched it until after it switched from
canned laughter to a real audience. When I later caught the early
episodes in syndication, it was shocking how flat and lifeless and
stupid it all seemed without the energy of playing to actual people.
Rhino
2018-11-19 19:06:03 UTC
Post by Dave Garrett
says...
Post by Rhino
and played something classical instead of his usually country stuff....
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malague%C3%B1a_(song)
http://youtu.be/-xssnp7R51A
I stand corrected. It has been decades since I saw that episode; I just
remembered that it was NOT a country song that he played. I had
forgotten that it was flamenco.
Rhino
That Derek
2018-11-15 18:33:37 UTC
With the recent passing of Charles Aznavour, 2018 is proving to be a bad year for singers who had big hits with "Yesterday, When I Was Young."
That Derek
2018-11-15 20:28:05 UTC
And don't forget his 1970s stint as a huckster or Pringle's Potato Chips/Crisps.