Peter Scolari, 66, Bosom Buddies, Newhart actor
2021-10-22 19:22:40 UTC
The actor appeared on Broadway many times
It was close to 40 years ago, so the details are long gone from my
memory, but I spotted him as an extra in a softcore movie that was
being shown one evening on an encrypted TV broadcast service that was
in place in my home town pre-cable. It ran some kind of HBO-like
premium movie service during the day, then at night showed
you-never-quite-really-saw-anything porn lite. That is, until some
busybody got himself in the news claiming they were running hardcore.
I don't know if there was a direct connection or not, but after some
period of his endless lying, they actually *did* switch to hardcore.

Anyway, in my dim memory Scolari was one of several people playing
basketball outside, maybe at night.
<https://nypost.com/2013/12/06/the-4-best-scenes-from-the-golden-age-of-porn/>
says he was in something called "Take Off" in 1978 where he plays one
of a group of juvenile delinquents harassing someone in a bikini. So
either my memory is complete garbage or he appeared fully clothed in
more than one porn film. Or both.
A Friend
2021-10-22 19:49:36 UTC
Peter Scolari, who rose to stardom on the brilliant-but-canceled “Bosom
Buddies” alongside Tom Hanks, died Friday morning at age 66 of cancer, after
a two-year illness.
At least Henry and Amy are finally reunited.

Bosom Buddies was one of the things that got me through night school.
I thought it was hilarious. Thanks, everybody.
Kenny McCormack
2021-10-23 01:00:22 UTC
Peter Scolari, who rose to stardom on the brilliant-but-canceled Bosom
Buddies alongside Tom Hanks, died Friday morning at age 66 of cancer, after a
two-year illness.
Isn't it the case that just about every single series that debuted in 1980
is now canceled? Doesn't seem to me that BB is at all unique in this
regard.

Are there any exceptions to this?
http://user.xmission.com/~gazelle/Sigs/Mandela
Raul TW
2021-10-23 08:40:43 UTC
Post by Kenny McCormack
Peter Scolari, who rose to stardom on the brilliant-but-canceled Bosom
Buddies alongside Tom Hanks, died Friday morning at age 66 of cancer, after a
two-year illness.
Isn't it the case that just about every single series that debuted in 1980
is now canceled? Doesn't seem to me that BB is at all unique in this
regard.
Are there any exceptions to this?
Obviously it means that the series (along with many others) was canceled due to low ratings. It only ran for 37 episodes.

Many other series from 1980 had much longer successful runs.
A Friend
2021-10-23 11:10:50 UTC
Post by Raul TW
Post by Kenny McCormack
Peter Scolari, who rose to stardom on the brilliant-but-canceled Bosom
Buddies alongside Tom Hanks, died Friday morning at age 66 of cancer, after a
two-year illness.
Isn't it the case that just about every single series that debuted in 1980
is now canceled? Doesn't seem to me that BB is at all unique in this
regard.
Are there any exceptions to this?
Obviously it means that the series (along with many others) was canceled due
to low ratings. It only ran for 37 episodes.
Many other series from 1980 had much longer successful runs.
What it probably was, was a reference to a ca. 2002 Trio umbrella
series called "Brilliant, but Cancelled" -- short-run series that
someone thought were better than average. They ran stuff like "Best of
the West" and "The Associates." I never did see one that I thought was
brilliant, but everyone's mileage varies.
Kenny McCormack
2021-10-24 12:54:52 UTC
Post by Kenny McCormack
Peter Scolari, who rose to stardom on the brilliant-but-canceled Bosom
Buddies alongside Tom Hanks, died Friday morning at age 66 of
cancer, after a two-year illness.
Isn't it the case that just about every single series that debuted in 1980
is now canceled? Doesn't seem to me that BB is at all unique in this
regard.
Are there any exceptions to this?
Obviously it means that the series (along with many others) was
canceled due to low ratings. It only ran for 37 episodes.
Many other series from 1980 had much longer successful runs.
Most (but not all, of course) series do, eventually, get canceled because
of low ratings. Usually, because the show reaches a point where there's
nothing new to do.
http://user.xmission.com/~gazelle/Sigs/LadyChatterley
Matthew Kruk
2021-10-24 16:40:53 UTC
Post by Kenny McCormack
Post by Kenny McCormack
Peter Scolari, who rose to stardom on the brilliant-but-canceled Bosom
Buddies alongside Tom Hanks, died Friday morning at age 66 of
cancer, after a two-year illness.
Isn't it the case that just about every single series that debuted in 1980
is now canceled? Doesn't seem to me that BB is at all unique in this
regard.
Are there any exceptions to this?
Obviously it means that the series (along with many others) was
canceled due to low ratings. It only ran for 37 episodes.
Many other series from 1980 had much longer successful runs.
Most (but not all, of course) series do, eventually, get canceled because
of low ratings. Usually, because the show reaches a point where there's
nothing new to do.
I find it interesting that this series died and then a couple of years later
Dustin Hoffman does Tootsie and it's a big hit.

J.D. Baldwin
2021-10-23 02:10:01 UTC
Peter Scolari, who rose to stardom on the brilliant-but-canceled
"Bosom Buddies" alongside Tom Hanks, died Friday morning at age 66 of=
cancer, after a two-year illness.
Probably a victim of its stupid premise. Those of us who actually saw
it knew that the cast could sell it. Not that I ever became a fan of
the show as such, but I knew both those stars were going places. But
I am sure it couldn't find an audience because who the hell wanted to
watch *that*.