Helen McCrory, 52, actress - The Crown, Peaky Blinders, Skyfall, Harry Potter
2021-04-16 15:56:34 UTC
https://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/breaking-helen-mccrory-dead-peaky-23926944
Helen McCrory dead - Peaky Blinders and James Bond star dies aged 52

British actress Helen McCrory, who was married to Damian Lewis, has died suddenly at the age of just 52. She was famous for her roles as Aunt Polly in Peaky Blinders, Narcissa Malfoy in the Harry Potter films, and for her appearance in Skyfall

By Emmeline Saunders Deputy Showbiz Editor
16:45, 16 APR 2021 UPDATED16:48, 16 APR 2021

Helen McCrory has died unexpectedly at the age of 52.

The talented British actress, who starred as Peaky Blinders matriarch Aunt Polly and as Clair Dowar in the 2012 James Bond film Skyfall, died suddenly.

In a heartbreaking statement confirming her death, her husband Damian Lewis wrote: "I'm heartbroken to announce that after a heroic battle with cancer, the beautiful and mighty woman that is Helen McCrory has died peacefully as home, surrounded bya. wave of love from friends and family."

He added: "She died as she lived. Fearlessly. God we love her and know how lucky we are to have had her in our lives. She blazed so brightly. Go now, Little One, into the air, and thank you."

Helen had been married to fellow actor Damian since 2007 and shared two children with him - daughter Manon, 14, and 13-year-old son Gulliver.

Her last public appearance was on March 12's episode of Good Morning Britain, in which she and Homeland star Damian spoke about their charity work.

She sparked questions from fans at the time after Kate Garraway pointed out she sounded croaky-voiced.

"Are you alright, Helen? You sound a bit croaky. Have you got a sore throat?" the host asked.

Helen quickly quipped back: "I've got children!"

Along with her charity work - she and Damian raised more than £1million for Feed NHS at the beginning of the Covid-19 pandemic - Helen was also famous for her body of TV and film work.

She'd originally been cast as Bellatrix Lestrange in the Harry Potter films, but had to pull out when she first fell pregnant. The role went to Helena Bonham Carter instead, but Helen was later cast as Bellatrix's sister Narcissa Malfoy for the Deathly Hallows Part 1 and Part 2 films.

She'd appeared in The Count Of Monte Cristo, 2005's Casanova and The Woman In Black: Angel Of Death.

But it was her portrayal of Cherie Blair in 2006's The Queen that catapulted her to household name status, after years of treading the boards with her theatre work.

She recently appeared in a string of TV shows in 2020, including Who Wants To Be A Millionaire? drama Quiz, political thriller Roadkill, and was the voice of Stelmaria in His Dark Materials.

Helen was awarded an OBE in the 2017 honours list for services to drama.

More to follow.

© 2021 MGN Limited
J.D. Baldwin
2021-04-18 14:42:07 UTC
Subject: Helen McCrory, 52, actress - The Crown, Peaky Blinders, Skyfall,
Did you confuse "The Queen" with "The Crown"? Helen McCrory never
appeared in The Crown so far as I have noticed.
2021-04-19 01:31:27 UTC
Did you confuse "The Queen" with "The Crown"? Helen McCrory never
appeared in The Crown so far as I have noticed.
Yes, my apologies, I have seen neither.