OT: possible Retirement Watch: Mrs Butterworth, Uncle Ben, Cream of Wheat Chef
2020-06-18 14:12:10 UTC
http://brooklyn.news12.com/story/42263347/mrs-butterworths-to-undergo-complete-brand-and-packaging-review

Mrs. Butterworth's to undergo complete brand and packaging review

Updated: Jun 18, 2020 9:06 AM EDT

Mrs. Butterworth's will undergo a complete brand and package review, the company says.

Chicago-based company Conagra, who owns the rights to Mrs. Butterworth's, released a statement Wednesday saying in part, "We stand in solidarity with our Black and Brown communities and we can see that our packaging may be interpreted in a way that is wholly inconsistent with our values."

Conagra is just one of several companies to review their branding and imagining which depicts stereotypes.

Cream of Wheat’s parent company, B&G Foods, says it is “initiating an immediate review” of the brand’s packaging.

Aunt Jemima and Uncle Ben’s announced they will do the same.

"It's heartbreaking and unacceptable that racism and racial injustices exist around the world. We will be part of the solution. Let's work together to progress toward change," Conagra wrote.
Larc
2020-06-18 14:39:54 UTC
On Thu, 18 Jun 2020 07:12:10 -0700 (PDT), That Derek <***@yahoo.com> wrote:

| http://brooklyn.news12.com/story/42263347/mrs-butterworths-to-undergo-complete-brand-and-packaging-review
|
| Mrs. Butterworth's to undergo complete brand and packaging review

| Updated: Jun 18, 2020 9:06 AM EDT
|
| Mrs. Butterworth's will undergo a complete brand and package review, the company says.
|
| Chicago-based company Conagra, who owns the rights to Mrs. Butterworth's, released a statement Wednesday saying in part, "We stand in solidarity with our Black and Brown communities and we can see that our packaging may be interpreted in a way that is wholly inconsistent with our values."
|
| Conagra is just one of several companies to review their branding and imagining which depicts stereotypes.
|
| Cream of Wheat’s parent company, B&G Foods, says it is “initiating an immediate review” of the brand’s packaging.
|
| Aunt Jemima and Uncle Ben’s announced they will do the same.
|
| "It's heartbreaking and unacceptable that racism and racial injustices exist around the world. We will be part of the solution. Let's work together to progress toward change," Conagra wrote.

I think all this is overreaction. Some Black people are still cooks and servers just
as people of other races are. They are honorable positions. But if these brandings
are wrong now, they were 100% as wrong when they started.

Larc
Travoltron
2020-06-18 15:49:01 UTC
Mrs. Butterworth is supposed to be black? I thought that was just the
color of the bottle.
Terry del Fuego
2020-06-18 22:27:32 UTC
Post by Larc
I think all this is overreaction. Some Black people are still cooks and servers just
as people of other races are. They are honorable positions.
I completely agree. But I also look at the current reactions as the
inevitable and understandable results of ignoring or making excuses
for or actively encouraging [long list here] for so long that the dam
finally bursts.

That is, right or wrong, it's hardly difficult to understand why all
this is happening *now*. And because of the long list of relevant
events both current and historical, I just can't get too worked up
about pseudofoods feeling the need to change the fictional characters
that appear on their packaging.
Post by Larc
But if these brandings are wrong now, they were 100% as wrong
when they started.
Could be, though as has been previously pointed out, some of the
original depictions were significantly more...let's just say
"cartoonish". What's sad, at least to me, is that the undeniably
horrible aspects of our history--which some even today still don't
really want to admit--are now causing this type of collateral damage.
In a better reality, the modern versions of the spokescharacters would
be symbols of progress, but I understand why many can't or are
unwilling to see them that way.
Louis Epstein
2020-06-19 02:37:08 UTC
[...]
"We will work together to eliminate all representation of African-Americans
in our branding",in other words?

Larc
2020-06-19 12:12:49 UTC
On Fri, 19 Jun 2020 02:37:08 +0000 (UTC), Louis Epstein <***@top.put.com> wrote:

| "We will work together to eliminate all representation of African-Americans
| in our branding",in other words?

That is exactly what seems to be happening. "Reverse racism" is still racism, IMO.
Any such action based solely on skin color is.

Larc
m***@gmail.com
2020-06-19 18:02:45 UTC
The reverse of racism would be the absence of racism, not a different form of racism. Racism is racism.
Kenny McCormack
2020-06-19 18:22:33 UTC
Post by m***@gmail.com
Post by Larc
| "We will work together to eliminate all representation of African-Americans
| in our branding",in other words?
That is exactly what seems to be happening. "Reverse racism" is still racism, IMO.
Any such action based solely on skin color is.
Larc
The reverse of racism would be the absence of racism, not a different form of
racism. Racism is racism.
I think we're just capable of a country free of racism. That's just facts.
I think we're going to have to get used to the pendulum swinging the other
way for a while.
--
The scent of awk programmers is a lot more attractive to women than
the scent of perl programmers.

(Mike Brennan, quoted in the "GAWK" manual)
Terry del Fuego
2020-06-20 19:36:00 UTC
Post by Kenny McCormack
I think we're going to have to get used to the pendulum swinging the other
way for a while.
But it's going to be fun watching the people who don't even know who
Breonna Taylor was threaten suicide because a cartoon food mascot
changed.
Kenny McCormack
2020-06-20 20:01:45 UTC
Post by Terry del Fuego
Post by Kenny McCormack
I think we're going to have to get used to the pendulum swinging the other
way for a while.
But it's going to be fun watching the people who don't even know who
Breonna Taylor was threaten suicide because a cartoon food mascot
changed.
So true. So true.
--
Pensacola - the thinking man's drink.