Joe Clark, 82, tough-guy Paterson NJ HS principal; film subject (Lean on Me)
2020-12-30 03:51:15 UTC
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/joe-clark-high-school-principal-portrayed-in-lean-on-me-dies-at-82

Joe Clark, High School Principal Portrayed in 'Lean on Me,' Dies at 82

6:19 PM PST 12/29/2020
by Mike Barnes

Morgan Freeman picked up his bullhorn and baseball bat to star in the 1989 Warner Bros. movie.

Joe Clark, the uncompromising New Jersey high school principal who employed a bullhorn and baseball bat to round his students into shape en route to becoming the subject of the inspirational Morgan Freeman film Lean on Me, has died. He was 82.

Morgan Freeman picked up his bullhorn and baseball bat to star in the 1989 Warner Bros. movie.

Joe Clark, the uncompromising New Jersey high school principal who employed a bullhorn and baseball bat to round his students into shape en route to becoming the subject of the inspirational Morgan Freeman film Lean on Me, has died. He was 82.

Clark died Tuesday after a long illness at his home in Gainesville, Florida, his family announced.

Soon after taking over as head of Eastside High School in Paterson, New Jersey, Clark expelled 300 students for fighting, vandalism, abusing teachers and drug possession — in one day — and challenged the kids that remained to perform better.

"I don't just categorically extirpate young people out of school, but I am categorically emphatic that we cannot any longer condone hooliganism, aberrant behavior and deviant behavior in those schools," Clark said in a CNN interview. "I'm convinced that young people, the vast majority, deserve the right to an environment that's conducive to learning."

Roaming the hallways with a bullhorn and baseball bat, Clark won admirers as well as critics. He explained that the bat was not a weapon but a symbol of choice: a student could either strike out or hit a home run.

Clark declined an offer from President Reagan to serve as a White House policy adviser, appeared on 60 Minutes and The Arsenio Hall Show and was featured on the cover of Time magazine (with a baseball bat, of course) as Lean on Me hit theaters. The 1989 Warner Bros. release, directed by John G. Avildsen of Rocky fame, was made for about $10 million and grossed nearly $32 million, according to Box Office Mojo.

In a 1989 interview, Freeman, who played Clark in the movie, called the principal a "charismatic magician" and noted that during the making of the film, the educator "got up in front of the students and said, 'You know, they're going to be making the picture, and we are the stars. So let's give them every help we can.' And by George, that's what they did."

Clark retired from Eastside High in 1989.

A Friend
2020-12-30 10:58:20 UTC
Clark declined an offer from President Reagan to serve as a White House
policy adviser
They were actually thinking of Clark for education secretary until they
found out he was a wack job.