Phil Phillips (né Baptiste), 94th b'day, 'Sea of Love' singer - scant details
2020-03-25 23:42:03 UTC
https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/lake-charles-la/philip-baptiste-9085044

OBITUARY

Philip Baptiste
March 14, 1926 – March 14, 2020

Philip Baptiste was born on March 14, 1926 in Crowley, LA and passed away on March 14, 2020 in Lake Charles , LA.

Services

No services are scheduled at this time. Receive a notification when services are updated

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phil_Phillips

Phil Phillips
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Phil Phillips
Birth name: John Philip Baptiste
Born: March 14, 1926, Crowley, Louisiana, U.S.
Died: March 14, 2020 (aged 94), Lake Charles, Louisiana, U.S.
Genres: Swamp pop
Occupation(s): Singer, songwriter

John Philip Baptiste (March 14, 1926 – March 14, 2020), known as Phil Phillips, was an American singer and songwriter, best known for his 1959 song, "Sea of Love".

Biography

Philip Baptiste was encouraged to pursue a career as a singer after a school performance of a song called "Sweet Slumber". He performed with his brothers in a gospel group called the Gateway Quartet and worked as a bellhop before he recorded "Sea of Love" in 1959.

The song was arranged and produced by Eddie Shuler for neighbor George Khoury's Khoury Records. After three months of work on the arrangement, building up the vocal group and trying out different musicians, the song was ready for release. Baptiste changed his name to Phil Phillips, and dubbed his backing vocalists the Twilights. After a Baton Rouge disc jockey played the song repeatedly, the recording sold heavily and was leased to Mercury Records.

"Sea of Love" went to No. 2 in the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 pop chart and spent 14 weeks in the top 40, as well as reaching No. 1 on the R&B chart. In 1959 it sold over one million copies, and was awarded a gold disc. Nonetheless, Phillips was paid only $6800, and received no further royalties for the song or its recording.

Phillips did not release an album to capitalize on his success, due to the unfavorable terms of his deal. "Because I decided to fight for what was rightfully and legally mine, a full album that I recorded was never released. I'm not being paid, nor have I ever been paid, as an artist for 'Sea of Love'. I never received justice and to this day have not received justice."

The song remains a big seller with notable covers by Del Shannon (which reached No. 33 on the pop chart in 1982) and the Honeydrippers (which peaked at No. 3 spending 14 weeks in the top 40 in 1984). Phillips' original version was featured prominently in the 1989 film Sea of Love starring Al Pacino which also presents a cover version by Tom Waits that plays during the end credits. Cat Power's The Covers Record also achieved a moderate success.

Among Phillips' other songs is "No One Needs My Love Today" (1966), which was recorded by Samantha Juste, co-host of BBC TV's Top of the Pops. He also recorded an anti-drug spoken word recording, "The Evil Dope", in the late 1960s; the single is considered a cult classic.

Phillips later worked as a radio DJ. He married and had seven children.

In October 2007, Phillips was honored for his contributions to Louisiana music with induction into the Louisiana Music Hall of Fame.

One of his last live performances was in April 2005 at the Jazz Fest in New Orleans, Louisiana, a few months before Hurricane Katrina. He died in March 2020 at the age of 94.
d***@gmail.com
2020-03-26 04:57:58 UTC
Am I reading that Mr Phillips passed
away on his 94th Birthday?

Whadda gift....
Kenny McCormack
2020-03-26 10:44:19 UTC
Post by d***@gmail.com
Am I reading that Mr Phillips passed
away on his 94th Birthday?
So it seems, assuming the story is correct.
And on Pi Day, no less.
Post by d***@gmail.com
Whadda gift....
Every once in a while, you read about someone dying on their birthday, and
I've actually read somewhere that you are (slightly) more likely to die on
your birthday than on any other day. Actual figures seem to be missing; it
would be nice to know if any actual figures (on how much more likely) exist.
--
Just like Donald Trump today, Jesus Christ had a Messiah complex.

And, in fact, the similarities between the two figures are quite striking.
For example, both have a ragtag band of followers, whose faith cannot be shaken.
Big Mongo
https://newsfeed.time.com/2012/06/12/study-youre-most-likely-to-die-on-your-own-birthday/
Big Mongo
2020-03-26 13:08:03 UTC
Post by Kenny McCormack
Every once in a while, you read about someone dying on their birthday, and
I've actually read somewhere that you are (slightly) more likely to die on
your birthday than on any other day. Actual figures seem to be missing; it
would be nice to know if any actual figures (on how much more likely) exist.
https://newsfeed.time.com/2012/06/12/study-youre-most-likely-to-die-on-your-own-birthday/

Study: You’re Most Likely To Die On Your Own Birthday
“Happy Deathday To You” doesn’t quite have the same ring to it.

By Anoosh Chakelian @anooshchakelianJune 12, 2012

We all know that birthdays can be full of hazards – candles in close proximity to hairspray, excessive alcohol consumption, aggressively forced merriment, the realization of our inevitably advancing decrepitude — but “Happy Deathday To You” doesn’t quite have the same ring to it, does it?

Yet researchers who have studied more than two million people over the course of two decades have found that the term might be apt: we are more likely to die on our own birthday than any other day of the year.

(MORE: Got Plaque? It May Be Linked with Early Cancer Death)

The study, published in the journal Annals of Epidemiology, found that people over 60 were 14% more likely to die on their birthdays than on any other day. The most common causes of birthday deaths were heart attacks, which rose 18.6% on birthdays, and strokes, which were up 21.5%. There is also a 34.9% rise in suicide, and a remarkable 44% jump for deaths by falling down.

Or perhaps people are keen to emulate famous birthday-perishers William Shakespeare, who died on his birthday on April 23 1616, and actress Ingrid Bergman, who also left on the anniversary of the day she arrived, in August 1982.

Prof. Richard Wiseman, a University of Hertfordshire psychologist, explained to The Daily Telegraph:

“There are two camps – one is the camp that suggests you eat too much and your getting on a bit and that causes you to die. The other is a placebo effect. You are knife-edged on death. And you kept yourself going until your birthday. You think ‘that’s it, I’ve had enough, I’m out of here.”

Happy birthday, everyone. And please be careful out there.
A Friend
2020-03-26 14:10:35 UTC
Post by Big Mongo
Prof. Richard Wiseman, a University of Hertfordshire psychologist, explained
“There are two camps – one is the camp that suggests you eat too much and
your getting on a bit and that causes you to die. The other is a placebo
effect. You are knife-edged on death. And you kept yourself going until your
birthday. You think ‘that’s it, I’ve had enough, I’m out of here.”
The same argument is made about Christmas.