Krystyna Stasiak, 83, in June (Polish-born illustrator of fairy tales)
Add Reply
Lenona
2020-09-30 02:52:52 UTC
Aka Krystyna Orska and Krystyna Wieloch.

I can't believe I could only find one tiny notice...

https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/cary-nc/krystyna-wieloch-9232454

She graduated from the Academy of Fine Arts in Warsaw and eventually moved to Chicago, where she lived for years and had many exhibits, but she spent her last years in Cary, North Carolina.

Stories from Around the World (1974) has an introduction by Marguerite Henry (known for her horse novels). The most gorgeous picture, inside, IMO, is that of the Polish basilisk.

(Though I have to say the characters in the Toltec-Chichimec story don't look anything but Caucasian, mostly...)

page 10 Ali Baba
page 30 Little Burnt Face (Native American - Micmac)
page 34 The Emperor's New Clothes
page 40 The Basilisk (Poland)
page 48 The Love of a Mexican Prince and Princess
page 56 The Three Hermits (Russia - by Leo Tolstoy)
page 66 Romulus and Remus (Italy)
page 74 Mimer, the Master (Germany)
page 88 The Master Cat (France - Puss in Boots)
page 96 David and Goliath
page 100 Rama (India)
page 106 The Black Charger (Spain)
page 112 Painted Skin (China - scary)
page 122 Pecos Bill Meets Paul Bunyan
page 130 Hallabau's Jealousy (Northern Nigeria)
page 138 Galahad (England)
page 146 Momotaro

https://www.google.com/search?q=krystyna+orska&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiEh7yduKfTAhUI9mMKHVu6Av4Q_AUIBigB&biw=1282&bih=857&dpr=1#tbm=isch&q=krystyna+orska+books
(some covers)

https://www.google.com/search?q=krystyna+stasiak+books&hl=en&site=webhp&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjanZuFuafTAhVX3mMKHSUrCWwQ_AUIBigB&biw=1282&bih=857
(more artwork)

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/109141990943031910/
(more)

http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/217918.Krystyna_Stasiak
(some reviews)

http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/2865605.Krystyna_Orska?from_search=true
(more)

http://worldcat.org/identities/lccn-n79084055/
(some titles and synopses

https://www.ebay.com/itm/STORIES-FROM-THE-WORLD-Krystyna-Stasiak-1974-Hubbard-Press-Vintage-HB-DJ-/392914230181
(this shows the cover of Stories from Around the World, plus a glimpse of Paul Bunyan on the back, and three interior illustrations - one is of Goliath, one is from the basilisk story, and one is from the Mexican story)

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6308766-illustrated-poems-for-children
(long review of one book of classic poetry)

Besides the books at Worldcat that she only illustrated, she wrote at least one book in 1974 - "Zoie the Zebra."

Until 1965, she illustrated books by Polish authors. Later books:

1965 Just So Stories (Kipling)
1966 American Folk Stories
1967 American Indian Stories
1967 Mother Goose Rhymes

1976 King Grisly-Beard
The Wild Swans

Lenona.
Lenona
2020-10-01 15:57:50 UTC
Thankfully, I found eight more pictures from Stories From Around the World.

http://monkeymucker.blogspot.com/2017/03/krystyna-stasiak.html

The last three are from Mimer, the Master. Look carefully at the second-to-last picture!
Lenona
2020-10-04 03:33:35 UTC
I had to type every word into the translator, since I couldn't copy it the usual way, but according to this -

https://dziennikzwiazkowy.com/kondolencje-nekrologi/sp-krystyna-stasiak/

- she was described as a "wife and sister," and her funeral was to be held in Warsaw.

And yes, her husband's name is a match. Her sister's name is Ewa.