Jon Schnepp, 'Metalocalypse,' 'Death of Superman Lives,' Dead at 51
2018-07-22 20:08:14 UTC
Jon Schnepp, 'Metalocalypse' Director, Dies at 51

12:35 PM PDT 7/20/2018 by Evan Real

Jon Schnepp's fiancee, Holly Payne, confirmed that the filmmaker died
at age 51 on Thursday, one week after suffering a stroke.

"It is with a broken heart the Schnepp family and I must announce the
passing of our beloved Jon Schnepp, who died peacefully on July 19,
2018," Payne wrote on Twitter. "Jon ultimately succumbed to the effects
of a massive stroke."

She elaborated, "He had a blood clot removed from his left carotid
artery, but the bleeding could not be stopped. Irreparable and
catastrophic damage was caused to both hemispheres and all brain
activity ceased. His sister Deborah and I had to make the difficult
decision to take him off of life support. There was no possible way for
him to recover."

Payne concluded by letting her followers know that she and Schnepp's
family "appreciate your love and support, and, most importantly, your
understanding of our privacy at this time as we grieve."

Schnepp suffered the stroke on July 12, according to a statement
released by Payne and his family last week. A GoFundMe page was created
for Schnepp's medical bills, which has since raised more than $100,000
of its $150,000 goal.

"Jon is on life support at this time," wrote Payne. "While everyone is
desperate for updates on his condition, we ask for your understanding
on giving us the privacy we need over the next few days as we deal with
the difficult decisions concerning Jon’s care."

Schnepp was best known for his work on Adult Swim's Metalocalypse. He
served as the writer and key director of the animated series, which
aired for four seasons from 2006 until 2012.

Not long after news of Schnepp's death broke, his good friend Patton
Oswalt took to Twitter to pay tribute. "Jon Schnepp, a truly creative
and good-hearted man, has passed away," the comedian tweeted,
accompanied by a link to Payne's GoFundMe page. "If you can, please
help Holly with the massive, life-crushing medical bills? Let's help
someone who's been devastated."

Schnepp is survived by Payne; his sister, Deborah; his mother, Miriam;
and his father, David.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/jon-schnepp-dead-metalocalypse-di
rector-dies-stroke-1128827
Michael OConnor
2018-07-22 20:28:18 UTC
I was familiar with his documentary about the "Superman Lives" documentary, which dealt with the ill-fated Superman film from the late 90's starring Nicolas Cage that the studio pulled the plug on after having already gotten a script and a good deal of planning underway. I'm not a comic book reader, but I like the superhero movies for the most part, and I think a Nicolas Cage Superman movie directed by Tim Burton probably would have been an utter disaster, but I would have loved to see it nonetheless.
RHDraney
2018-07-22 20:53:21 UTC
Post by Michael OConnor
I was familiar with his documentary about the "Superman Lives" documentary, which dealt with the ill-fated Superman film from the late 90's starring Nicolas Cage that the studio pulled the plug on after having already gotten a script and a good deal of planning underway. I'm not a comic book reader, but I like the superhero movies for the most part, and I think a Nicolas Cage Superman movie directed by Tim Burton probably would have been an utter disaster, but I would have loved to see it nonetheless.
Labor of love for Cage, who's as big a Superman nut as Jerry
Seinfeld...he's had to content himself with playing lesser superheroes
like Ghost Rider, and Big Daddy from the "Kick Ass" movie, and of course
naming his son Kal-El....r
Michael OConnor
2018-07-22 21:21:20 UTC
Post by RHDraney
Post by Michael OConnor
I was familiar with his documentary about the "Superman Lives" documentary, which dealt with the ill-fated Superman film from the late 90's starring Nicolas Cage that the studio pulled the plug on after having already gotten a script and a good deal of planning underway. I'm not a comic book reader, but I like the superhero movies for the most part, and I think a Nicolas Cage Superman movie directed by Tim Burton probably would have been an utter disaster, but I would have loved to see it nonetheless.
Labor of love for Cage, who's as big a Superman nut as Jerry
Seinfeld...he's had to content himself with playing lesser superheroes
like Ghost Rider, and Big Daddy from the "Kick Ass" movie, and of course
naming his son Kal-El....r
I just think Nick Cage is just too weird to play Superman, especially since he was going to play it with the long hair like he did in the pics he was posing in. One of the things about Superman was that he looked like one of us, but he wasn't one of us, but his Earth parents (and it is presumed his father, thru the videos he provided during the trip to Earth in the first Superman movie) stressed that he also had to blend in and act like a human and blend in as much as possible.

From what I remember about the script of "Superman Lives" from the documentary, and I haven't read it, was that Clark/Superman was not aware early in the script that he was from Krypton, that he thought he was a human being with some weird medical conditions, and was studying different medical conditions trying to figure out what was wrong with him. But after seeing the documentary, I think they probably should have stuck with the Kevin Smith screenplay, that somebody who really understood comic books and Superman is best equipped to write the story. Instead, they just got a Kevin Smith script just to get the studio interested in buying in on the film, then shitcanned most of what Smith came up with and had their own guys write it. This is how you wind up with giant spiders.

And in the end, Jon Peters got his giant spider, in the "Wild Wild West" movie, which was one of the half dozen worst big budget films I have ever seen.