Gahan Wilson, 1930-2019
Add Reply
D.D.Degg
2019-11-22 17:36:44 UTC
Iconic cartoonist Gahan Wilson has passed away.

"The world has lost a legend. One of the very best cartoonists
to ever pick up a pen and paper has passed on.
He went peacefully – surrounded by those who loved him."
http://www.dailycartoonist.com/index.php/2019/11/22/gahan-wilson-1930-2019/
That Derek
2019-11-22 21:49:46 UTC
My favourite Gahan Wilson storybook is "The Bang Bang Family," which is about an incredibly loud noise-making family.

SPOILER ALERT:

When the Bang Bangs finally retire or the night, the mice behind the walls are greatly relieved.
e***@gmail.com
2019-11-23 00:31:47 UTC
I can't do it justice here, but his comic with the knife-wielding optometrist sneaking up behind the patient who's reading an eyechart which states:
am
aninsane
eyedoctorwho
isgoingtokillyou

Is absolutely brilliant
RH Draney
2019-11-23 08:27:20 UTC
Post by e***@gmail.com
am
aninsane
eyedoctorwho
isgoingtokillyou
Is absolutely brilliant
Other iconic ones are the child on a harness and leash meeting a small
werewolf in a similar harness coming round a corner, and the cover of
his book showing an attic full of discarded toys with the caption
"...and then we'll get him"....

My favorite used to be the other book cover, with a bunch of worshipers
in gaudy costumes bowing to a pillar with a huge letter N on the front,
with the caption "is Nothing sacred?"...but now I think it's the doctor
holding up a set of skeletal arm bones and saying to the patient "and
*this* is what we found in your arm"....

(Also, I always looked forward to the "Nuts" comic strip in National
Lampoon)....r
Terry del Fuego
2019-11-24 17:30:05 UTC
That's where I first learned of him.
Dave Garrett
2019-11-25 03:52:40 UTC
Post by Terry del Fuego
Post by RH Draney
(Also, I always looked forward to the "Nuts" comic strip in National
Lampoon)....r
That's where I first learned of him.
I can't remember if I first encountered his cartoons in NatLamp or
Playboy.

A few years ago Fantagraphics published a massive, three-volume set of
his Playboy cartoons that is near-essential for serious fans of his
work. After a while, it was available heavily discounted, but after it
eventually went out of print prices skyrocketed.
Dave
Louis Epstein
2019-11-26 03:16:26 UTC
Post by Dave Garrett
Post by Terry del Fuego
Post by RH Draney
(Also, I always looked forward to the "Nuts" comic strip in National
Lampoon)....r
That's where I first learned of him.
I can't remember if I first encountered his cartoons in NatLamp or
Playboy.
For me,
The Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction.

Guilty Bastard
2019-11-24 06:28:26 UTC
Post by e***@gmail.com
am
aninsane
eyedoctorwho
isgoingtokillyou
Is absolutely brilliant

https://www.cbr.com/gahan-wilson-obituary/
Louis Epstein
2019-11-23 05:03:34 UTC
Post by D.D.Degg
Iconic cartoonist Gahan Wilson has passed away.
"The world has lost a legend. One of the very best cartoonists
to ever pick up a pen and paper has passed on.
He went peacefully ? surrounded by those who loved him."
http://www.dailycartoonist.com/index.php/2019/11/22/gahan-wilson-1930-2019/
The first science fiction convention I ever went to,
I arrived during his guest-of-honor speech.
(Lunacon 1979)

2019-11-24 04:56:56 UTC
am
aninsane
eyedoctorwho
isgoingtokillyou

That's pretty good, Johnny, but that ain't the way I heerd it; the way I heerd it was this:

Bugs Bunny accidentally gets drafted into the US Army in the film "Forward March Hare," When an optometrist administers Bugs' eye exam, Bugs proves that rabbits, indeed, have excellent eyesight by reading the chart's fine printing "Acme Eye Test Chart, Printed by the United States Printing Office, Washington DC, Reg U-S Pat Off."

Here's a YouTube link of the cartoon's highlights:

The eye chart shtick begins approximately 45 seconds in.
RH Draney
2019-11-24 09:37:40 UTC
Post by e***@gmail.com
am
aninsane
eyedoctorwho
isgoingtokillyou
Bugs Bunny accidentally gets drafted into the US Army in the film "Forward March Hare," When an optometrist administers Bugs' eye exam, Bugs proves that rabbits, indeed, have excellent eyesight by reading the chart's fine printing "Acme Eye Test Chart, Printed by the United States Printing Office, Washington DC, Reg U-S Pat Off."
Here's a YouTube link of the cartoon's highlights: http://youtu.be/MeGkXRxAccg
The eye chart shtick begins approximately 45 seconds in.
Another version involved Clark Kent's draft physical during WWII, which
he failed due to poor vision...seems he accidentally used his X-ray
vision for the test and read the chart in the next room....

And then there was the guy during the Vietnam era who offered this
advice for those seeking to avoid the draft: "tell them 'I don't see
*any* letters; I see a lizard!"...r
l***@yahoo.com
2019-11-26 00:40:49 UTC
I first heard of him when I read "Chog: A Gothic Fantasy" by Quentin Crisp.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/rec.arts.books.childrens/wgCsDYK0Wu4/AT5tlxDGOI4J;context-place=forum/rec.arts.books.childrens

(birthday post from 2010, with long booklist - I hope some of these links still work)

Lenona.
J.D. Baldwin
2019-11-28 14:36:26 UTC
Post by D.D.Degg
Iconic cartoonist Gahan Wilson has passed away.
Next to Edward Gorey and *maybe* Chas. Addams, my favorite ever.
Aje RavenStar
2019-11-28 21:04:54 UTC
No love for S. Gross?
J.D. Baldwin
2019-11-29 04:14:41 UTC
Post by Aje RavenStar
Post by J.D. Baldwin
Post by D.D.Degg
Iconic cartoonist Gahan Wilson has passed away.
Next to Edward Gorey and *maybe* Chas. Addams, my favorite ever.
No love for S. Gross?
Gross, Callahan, Mark Tatulli, Schulz ... all on the short list. But
Gorey reigns supreme for sure.