Chiyo Miyako, 117
2018-07-29 22:09:45 UTC
I'm sure you can guess what she was "famous" for...

She lived in Nishi-ku, Yokohama, Kanagawa Prefecture.

https://www.google.com/search?ei=fzleW9DtNKqxggea8KD4Dg&q=Chiyo+Miyako+117&oq=Chiyo+Miyako+117&gs_l=psy-ab.3..0l2.41312.42312.0.43120.4.4.0.0.0.0.67.255.4.4.0....0...1.1.64.psy-ab..0.4.253...0i22i30k1.0.Rbg8ggLZOJQ

From USA Today:

"Japanese women have the world's highest life expectancy of 87, while the men's life expectancy is in the world's top 10, according to the World Health Organization. The reasons are attributed to factors including the traditional Japanese diet and good health care."

And, from the HuffPost (note that apparently they didn't realize that "Miyako" is NOT a surname - I knew that in part because almost any Japanese name that ends in "ko" is a woman's personal name):

"...Miyako’s family referred to her as 'the goddess' and described her to Guinness World Records as a patient, kind and chatty person who loved calligraphy. She attributed her long life to sushi and at least eight hours of nightly sleep, according to Guinness.

"Although Guinness hasn’t officially announced a successor, many people believe the Oldest Person title will be passed on to Kane Tanaka, a 115-year-old woman who lives in a nursing home in Fukuoka, Japan, according to USA Today.

"Meanwhile, Masazo Nonaka, the world’s oldest living man, on Wednesday celebrated his 113th birthday on the Japanese island of Hokkaido, according to The Associated Press."

Lenona.
Travoltron
2018-07-29 23:22:27 UTC
It is her surname, though.
l***@yahoo.com
2018-07-29 23:31:39 UTC
Post by Travoltron
It is her surname, though.
And what makes you think that? IIRC, in Japan, surnames come first. (As in China and elsewhere.)
Travoltron
2018-07-29 23:41:09 UTC
Her husband's name was Katsuji Miyako.
l***@yahoo.com
2018-07-29 23:53:34 UTC
Source, please? Other articles say her husband's name was Shoji and that he "worked for Japanese National Railways."
David Carson
2018-07-30 01:48:07 UTC
Post by l***@yahoo.com
Post by Travoltron
Post by l***@yahoo.com
And what makes you think that? IIRC, in Japan, surnames come first. (As in China and elsewhere.)
Her husband's name was Katsuji Miyako.
Source, please? Other articles say her husband's name was Shoji and that he "worked for Japanese National Railways."
You go first. You're the one saying the article is wrong. "IIRC" and
"other articles" aren't sources.
l***@yahoo.com
2018-07-31 15:39:50 UTC
Post by David Carson
Post by l***@yahoo.com
Post by Travoltron
Post by l***@yahoo.com
And what makes you think that? IIRC, in Japan, surnames come first. (As in China and elsewhere.)
Her husband's name was Katsuji Miyako.
Source, please? Other articles say her husband's name was Shoji and that he "worked for Japanese National Railways."
You go first. You're the one saying the article is wrong. "IIRC" and
"other articles" aren't sources.
Well, I know I was at least half right.

That is, I get NO results when I search for +katsuji +miyako +chiyo, but when I search on her name plus "husband," the name Shoji comes up in USA Today, Newsweek, the Huffington Post, and the Washington Post.

Not exactly hard for anyone to find.

Interestingly, when I went to behindthename.com, BOTH Chiyo and Miyako were listed as feminine given names, not surnames.

Lenona.

J.D. Baldwin
2018-07-30 00:27:33 UTC
Post by l***@yahoo.com
Post by Travoltron
It is her surname, though.
And what makes you think that? IIRC, in Japan, surnames come first.
(As in China and elsewhere.)
Look her up in Japanese media and you will see her listed as Miyako
Chiyo. Miyako was definitely her family name. Also, Chiyo is a not-
uncommon girls' name in Japan.