RIP: the man who broke that machometer... (fwd)
danny burstein
2020-12-08 03:43:23 UTC
[twitter]

Chuck Yeager
@GenChuckYeager
15m
Fr @VictoriaYeage11
It is w/ profound sorrow, I must tell you that my life love General Chuck
Yeager passed just before 9pm ET. An incredible life well lived, America's
greatest Pilot, & a legacy

***@panix.com
radioacti...@gmail.com
2020-12-08 03:53:42 UTC
Wow.

On the 76th anniversary of the "date which will live in infamy", we now think back* to October 14, 1947, a date [and a Tuesday] which lives on in aviation AND scientific history.

BRYAN STYBLE/Florida
___________________________________
* Even if we're too young to have lived through it.
Louis Epstein
2020-12-08 03:57:08 UTC
Post by danny burstein
[twitter]
Chuck Yeager
@GenChuckYeager
15m
It is w/ profound sorrow, I must tell you that my life love General Chuck
Yeager passed just before 9pm ET. An incredible life well lived, America's
greatest Pilot, & a legacy
February 13,1923-December 7,2020.

The Wikipedes are using a king5.com story as their source but it has little
more than a link to that Tweet.

radioacti...@gmail.com
2020-12-08 04:15:31 UTC
A report from KING Channel 5...what, did the Yeagers live in Seattle/Tacoma, Louis?

And remember, Y'all, not only did Sam Shepherd [sp?] portray the young Yeager in the very-disappointing film version of a downright-brilliant "The Right Stuff" book, but Yeager HIMSELF also appears in a cameo role as a bartender at the Mercury 7 astronauts' fave Cocoa Beach (?) hangout.

STYBLE/Florida
Bermuda999
2020-12-08 05:38:11 UTC
Post by danny burstein
[twitter]
Chuck Yeager
@GenChuckYeager
15m
He outlived every Mercury 7 astronaut and outlived even the "young guy" who played him in the film version of "The Right Stuff"
radioacti...@gmail.com
2020-12-08 07:38:53 UTC
That's an important point you made there, Bermuda, about Yeager surviving all of The Seven! But without bothering to check, I'm pretty darned certain Sam Shepard is still alive. You might have been thinking of his co-star in those "TRS" 1947 scenes, the oh-so-sadly late Levon Helm, who played Yeager's [fictional, I believe, or perhaps composite-character] gum-chewing aide.*

But MY mistake was more inexcusable: it was the 79th anniversary of Pearl Harbor, not the 76th...proving once again how lousy this mathematics whiz is at arithmetic.

STYBLE/Florida
________________________________
* Not to mention playing the titular coal miner in "Coal Miner's Daughter". Not to mention often proving he was one of the greatest vocalists in rock music history. And one of the most technically-precise drummers in rock history. And, along with the equally-expert Jim Keltner, one of Dylan's two longest-backing sticksmen. And thanks to the fact that Helm was such a small guy--I hung with him both in Los Angeles in 1987 and then again in Detroit in 1996, and he had an even slighter build than that little guy Dylan--which I guess is why Helm's fingers were small enough to so beautifully play the mandolin.
A Friend
2020-12-08 11:30:05 UTC
Post by ***@gmail.com
That's an important point you made there, Bermuda, about Yeager surviving all
of The Seven! But without bothering to check, I'm pretty darned certain Sam
Shepard is still alive.
No, he's pretty darned dead. Sam Shepard died on July 27 2017 at 73
from complications of ALS.
Turd Ferguson
2020-12-08 12:19:39 UTC
Post by A Friend
Post by ***@gmail.com
That's an important point you made there, Bermuda, about Yeager surviving all
of The Seven! But without bothering to check, I'm pretty darned certain Sam
Shepard is still alive.
No, he's pretty darned dead. Sam Shepard died on July 27 2017 at 73
from complications of ALS.
Alan Shepard
Shepard was diagnosed with chronic lymphocytic leukemia in 1996 and died
from complications of the disease in Pebble Beach, California, on July
21, 1998
Bermuda999
2020-12-08 15:21:00 UTC
Bermuda999
2020-12-08 15:25:54 UTC
It's like you have an aversion to correct information
J.D. Baldwin
2020-12-09 16:03:55 UTC
Post by danny burstein
Chuck Yeager
I read that dude's autobiography. He was sneeringly deprecative of
carrier landings. He was a brilliant pilot, and all, and I'm sure if
he'd gone into a real service and trained for them, he would have
mastered that skill just fine. But he didn't. So, unpopular opinion:
Chuck Yeager can kiss my ass.
ansaman
2020-12-09 22:20:43 UTC
Post by J.D. Baldwin
Post by danny burstein
Chuck Yeager
I read that dude's autobiography. He was sneeringly deprecative of
carrier landings. He was a brilliant pilot, and all, and I'm sure if
he'd gone into a real service and trained for them, he would have
Chuck Yeager can kiss my ass.
Ghostly apparition approaches... (MWAH!)
--
"We never are definitely right,
we can only be sure we are wrong."
- Richard Feynman
Bermuda999
Could you please expound on your "if he'd gone into a real service" comment?
J.D. Baldwin
2020-12-11 05:00:59 UTC
Post by Bermuda999
I read that dude's autobiography. He was sneeringly deprecative of
carrier landings. He was a brilliant pilot, and all, and I'm sure
if he'd gone into a real service and trained for them, he would
have mastered that skill just fine. But he didn't. So, unpopular
opinion: Chuck Yeager can kiss my ass.
Could you please expound on your "if he'd gone into a real service" comment?
I could riff on that comment from now until the heat death of the
universe. But I'm going to be kind to all the overburdened news
spools out there and just sum up by saying that I have very little
respect for the United States Air Force as an armed service.

Of course, Yeager initially enlisted in the Army, which is actually a
real service and can even be kind of cool sometimes. It was later,
when he transferred to the newly created effete, silly uniform, pamp--
Ah, but I said I wasn't going to go into all that, didn't I?
2020-12-13 06:26:37 UTC
Post by J.D. Baldwin
Post by Bermuda999
[...]
So...what do you say about the Space Force?

J.D. Baldwin
2020-12-13 15:27:51 UTC
Post by Louis Epstein
Post by J.D. Baldwin
Of course, Yeager initially enlisted in the Army, which is
actually a real service and can even be kind of cool sometimes.
It was later, when he transferred to the newly created effete,
silly uniform, pamp-- Ah, but I said I wasn't going to go into all
that, didn't I?
So...what do you say about the Space Force?
There are probably dumber things to do with the armed services. Right
now, I can't think of any, though.
2020-12-15 02:06:57 UTC
Post by J.D. Baldwin
Post by Louis Epstein
Post by J.D. Baldwin
Of course, Yeager initially enlisted in the Army, which is
actually a real service and can even be kind of cool sometimes.
It was later, when he transferred to the newly created effete,
silly uniform, pamp-- Ah, but I said I wasn't going to go into all
that, didn't I?
So...what do you say about the Space Force?
There are probably dumber things to do with the armed services. Right
now, I can't think of any, though.
Since childhood I have regarded space exploration as the most important
thing our species is doing,though not generally military.I would not
have started a Space Force at this time,but don't like the backward step
of un-starting it that some propose.

Still trying to reconcile their claims that they're streamlining
their structure with their having fewer personnel than an Army Corps
commanded by one three-star general while having two four-star and
six three-star generals,though.

J.D. Baldwin
2020-12-15 03:40:13 UTC
Post by Louis Epstein
Since childhood I have regarded space exploration as the most
important thing our species is doing,though not generally military.I
would not have started a Space Force at this time,but don't like the
backward step of un-starting it that some propose.
The "Space Force" is not about exploring or colonizing or even going
into space. It's about space operations, such as ASAT, space-borne
electronic warfare, surveillance, etc. This was done just fine for
decades by joint units led largely by the USAF. Creating a new and
separate armed service just reduces its jointness and, as you noted,
increases administrative overhead and top-heavy rank structure by an
order of magnitude or more.

If you think about it, the Air Force is the one service that should be
confined exclusively to operations in earth's atmosphere. It's the
AIR Force, after all.
2020-12-15 23:58:58 UTC
Post by J.D. Baldwin
Post by Louis Epstein
Since childhood I have regarded space exploration as the most
important thing our species is doing,though not generally military.I
would not have started a Space Force at this time,but don't like the
backward step of un-starting it that some propose.
The "Space Force" is not about exploring or colonizing or even going
into space. It's about space operations, such as ASAT, space-borne
electronic warfare, surveillance, etc. This was done just fine for
decades by joint units led largely by the USAF. Creating a new and
separate armed service just reduces its jointness and, as you noted,
increases administrative overhead and top-heavy rank structure by an
order of magnitude or more.
If you think about it, the Air Force is the one service that should be
confined exclusively to operations in earth's atmosphere. It's the
AIR Force, after all.
But land and water-based forces are scarcely suited to the far side of the
atmosphere unless they get to other planetary bodies...and who protects
travel there from interference?

ansaman
2020-12-14 00:26:49 UTC
Post by Louis Epstein
Post by J.D. Baldwin
Post by Bermuda999
[...]
Yeah, the US Air Force is easy to laugh at until we
obliterate the enemy that is threatening you.