OT: Memo to alt-obits post-ers: NY Times has a paywall !!!
2021-07-18 10:15:45 UTC
A veteran necrologist on this site has just posted, by my count, 18 separate celebrity/political/literary obits originatimg in The New York Times.

It's nice you have unlimited NYT access, but some of us don't. I, personally as a non-subscriber, am only entitled to THREE free NYT look-ups per calendar month. Thus, I am quite judicious regarding whom and what I choose to click upon.

Note to fellow post-er: please consider cutting-and-pasting the body of each write-up so that we economically disadvantaged readers/lurkers will be able, likewise, to share with you your unbrided and largesse-driven enthusiasm.

Thank you.
Adam H. Kerman
2021-07-18 15:40:38 UTC
A veteran necrologist on this site has just posted, by my count, 18
separate celebrity/political/literary obits originatimg in The New York
Times.
It's nice you have unlimited NYT access, but some of us don't. I,
personally as a non-subscriber, am only entitled to THREE free NYT
look-ups per calendar month. Thus, I am quite judicious regarding whom
and what I choose to click upon.
Derek, I was able to look up all articles he provided URLs for. Turn off
javascript. They appear to be controlling whether to serve the user with
the Web page with javascript.
Thank you.
That Derek
2021-07-18 16:04:36 UTC
Thanks.

What;s JavaScript?.
Kenny McCormack
2021-07-18 19:30:10 UTC
A veteran necrologist on this site has just posted, by my count, 18
separate celebrity/political/literary obits originatimg in The New York
Times.
It's nice you have unlimited NYT access, but some of us don't. I,
personally as a non-subscriber, am only entitled to THREE free NYT
look-ups per calendar month. Thus, I am quite judicious regarding whom
and what I choose to click upon.
Note to fellow post-er: please consider cutting-and-pasting the body
of each write-up so that we economically disadvantaged readers/lurkers
will be able, likewise, to share with you your unbrided and
largesse-driven enthusiasm.
Amazingly, when I first saw your thread title, and started reading your
text, I assumed you were taking the pro-capitalistic position. That is,
I thought you were going to complain that the poster-in-question (PIQ) had
actually posted the full text of the obits, and that they were wrong to do
so, since they do not (obviously) own the copyrights to the text, and the
NYT has them (the text, not the PIQ) protected behind a paywall.

Imagine my surprise when I then found out that you were arguing the
converse, that you wish PIQ *had* posted the full text, thus ignoring any
copyright issues that may apply (and allowing the rest of us access to
paywall-protected material).

Note incidentally that I don't care one way or the other. I'm not taking
either position. I just think it funny that the way it was phrased could
so easily go either way, when we get down into the details.

By and large, I dislike intensely when people post (to Usenet or any other
online chat forum type thingie) "URL only" posts. My feeling is that if
you're going to post something, particularly on Usenet, but, as I say, it
applies elsewhere, you should post it. Don't just be clickbait!
For the most part (i.e., unless the subject really, seriously, deeply
engages me), I ignore all "URL only" posts (on any and all forums that I
visit, starting, of course, with Usenet).

I just checked one of PIQ's posts, and it seems to qualify as "URL only".
--
After Using Gender Slur Against AOC, GOP Rep. Yoyo Won't Apologize 'For Loving God'.

That's so sweet...