HEALTHWATCH. Mr. and Mrs. President test positive for COVID
Lenona
2020-10-02 15:16:18 UTC
My first thought was that Melania is likely pretty mad at him right now.

Then it occurred to me - there's a chance she made every excuse not to stand close to him in the first place over the past few years, so she may not have much of an excuse to get mad, since she probably doesn't know from whom she caught it.

And, naturally, Mr. And Mrs. Biden have said they'll pray for their recovery. (Biden could easily lose against Pence, after all.)

Lenona.
Topic Cop
2020-10-02 15:30:40 UTC
Post by Lenona
My first thought was that Melania is likely pretty mad at him right now.
Then it occurred to me - there's a chance she made every excuse not to stand close to him in the first place over the past few years, so she may not have much of an excuse to get mad, since she probably doesn't know from whom she caught it.
And, naturally, Mr. And Mrs. Biden have said they'll pray for their recovery. (Biden could easily lose against Pence, after all.)
Lenona.
Yes.

So the President has Covid. I can't imagine he would be looking for a face saving measure as his attempts to steal the election may fail and the thought of being called a loser is anathema to him. Let that fall on someone else.

Now if he dies, he would be martyred and Trumpism would rule the 2024 primaries and the next one may not be so stupid, incompetent and actually have their own people til fill key positions.
Matthew Kruk
I've heard that bleach can cure it.
Kenny McCormack
2020-10-02 18:35:10 UTC
In article <E2KdH.108854$***@fx48.iad>,
Matthew Kruk <***@home.com> wrote:
Post by Matthew Kruk
Post by Topic Cop
So the President has Covid.
I've heard that bleach can cure it.
And it is true. If you drink enough bleach, you can guarantee that you
will not die of Covid.
--
Men rarely (if ever) manage to dream up a God superior to themselves.
Most Gods have the manners and morals of a spoiled child.
Terry del Fuego
2020-10-02 20:48:06 UTC
On Fri, 2 Oct 2020 08:30:40 -0700 (PDT), Topic Cop
Post by Topic Cop
So the President has Covid. I can't imagine he would be looking
for a face saving measure as his attempts to steal the election
may fail and the thought of being called a loser is anathema to
him. Let that fall on someone else.
The thing that I can't get past is that after four+ years of incessant
lying, I can't think of any possibility that isn't at least plausible.
I mean, everything may be exactly as reported: He was stupid about
taking precautions, he got infected, he's doing OK and he'll recover.
It's not impossible to believe.

It's also not impossible to believe that he's made the whole thing up
for exactly the reasons you state. Or that it's being downplayed and
he's gravely ill (I'm a couple hours behind on the news, maybe he's
popped his head up again and shown that not to be true).

We're in a reality where at least as of a week or so ago "Herman Cain"
was still tweeting about how mask mandates are communism or something.
Terry del Fuego
2020-10-02 20:50:07 UTC
On Fri, 02 Oct 2020 13:48:06 -0700, Terry del Fuego
Post by Terry del Fuego
The thing that I can't get past is that after four+ years of incessant
lying, I can't think of any possibility that isn't at least plausible.
P.S.: Apparently we only know this is happening at all because Hicks'
test results were *leaked*. Or at least that was the story earlier.
RH Draney
2020-10-02 21:24:13 UTC
Post by Topic Cop
[...]
Orangehead McTinyhands doesn't even understand the point of
quarantine...that's what you do when you've been exposed, to allow the
passage of time to see whether you develop symptoms...if he's already
tested positive, what he needs is isolation to keep him from passing the
infection, already confirmed, on to other people....r
MJ Emigh
2020-10-02 21:44:49 UTC
I don't buy this, myself. I mean, he assured us early on that this whole virus thing is a hoax. Fake news. I think it's more likely hemorrhoids, and his doctor is hoaxing him. Surprisingly, considering that he is the most intelligent guy on the planet and right about everything (including medicine), he fell for it.
Matthew Kruk
2020-10-02 22:06:35 UTC

Must hurt when he coughs or sneezes.
radioacti...@gmail.com
2020-10-02 22:39:23 UTC
6:39 pm ET Friday, October 2, 2020

Good luck--and better health!--to you at the Walter Reed facility, Mr. President.

2020-10-02 22:35:30 UTC
Post by RH Draney
Orangehead McTinyhands doesn't even understand the point of
quarantine...that's what you do when you've been exposed, to allow the
passage of time to see whether you develop symptoms...if he's already
tested positive, what he needs is isolation to keep him from passing the
infection, already confirmed, on to other people....r
It seems to have gone from "he's feeling fine" to "he's fatigued but
working" to a leak that he was allegedly showing symptoms on Wednesday
to the breaking news that he's been taken to Walter Reed out of "an
abundance of caution" and been infused with an experimental treatment.

Oh, and he apparently (intentionally? coincidentally?) arrived too
late to Tuesday's debate to be tested in time to get results before
going on stage. He definitely was infected by then and may well have
known it (though the latter is obviously entirely speculation on my
part).

The 20th Amendment is explicit that if a president elect dies after
winning the election but before inauguration, the VP gets the job. But
as far as my limited literacy can tell, it doesn't provide guidance
for a situation where someone dies *before* election day yet still
wins. The obvious knee-jerk assumption would be that the VP elect
becomes president in that case as well, but I'd expect it to wind up
in court and likely be decided entirely and exclusively along party
lines. Not that I can think of any better solution in the absence of
explicit Constitutional guidelines.
RH Draney
Hope Hicks, we thank you for your service....r
Terry del Fuego
2020-10-03 13:54:51 UTC
Post by RH Draney
Hope Hicks, we thank you for your service....r
I genuinely, truly, really, sincerely don't want him to die...until
after his trial(s).
Terry del Fuego
2020-10-03 14:06:16 UTC
On Fri, 02 Oct 2020 15:35:30 -0700, Idiot McMoron
Post by Terry del Fuego
been infused with an experimental treatment.
Read elsewhere that while "experimental" might seem scary in context,
antibody therapy is generally safe and this is probably more of a
"Sure, why not?" move than a sign of panic.

<https://www.wkbn.com/news/coronavirus/what-is-regenerons-antibody-cocktail-heres-what-we-know-about-trumps-treatment/>

What is Regeneron’s antibody cocktail? Here’s what we know about
Trump’s treatment
Coronavirus

by: Nexstar Media Wire
PM EDT

WASHINGTON (NEXSTAR) - The White House said Friday that President
Donald Trump remains "fatigued" after contracting COVID-19 and has
been injected with an experimental antibody cocktail for the virus
that has killed more than 205,000 Americans and spread to the highest
reaches of the U.S. government.

Trump’s physician, Navy Commander Dr. Sean Conley, revealed on Friday
the commander-in-chief received a dose of an experimental antibody
cocktail by Regeneron that is in clinical trials.

"He completed the infusion without incident," Dr. Conley said in the
statement.

Dr. Conley said Trump "remains fatigued but in good spirits" and that
a team of experts was evaluating both the president and first lady in
regard to next steps.

Trump is also taking zinc, Vitamin D, melatonin and other medications.

The first lady, who is 50, has a "mild cough and headache," Conley
reported, and the remainder of the first family, including the Trumps’
son Barron, who lives at the White House, tested negative.

In a statement late Friday, Regeneron confirmed Trump was provided the
REGN-COV2 antibody cocktail as part of a "compassionate use request,"
which is when the Food and Drug Administration allows for unapproved
treatments to be made available to treat ill patients when no other
treatment is available.

The company’s compassionate use program defines it as being intended
for patients with serious or life-threatening conditions who do not
have any viable or available treatment options, and are unable to
participate in ongoing clinical trials." [random closing quote in
original]

What is Regeneron polyclonal antibody cocktail?

Trump is receiving a two-antibody combo drug that’s currently in
late-stage studies from Regeneron Pharmaceuticals Inc. The company
previously developed a successful treatment for Ebola using a similar
approach.

It’s given as a one-time treatment through an IV.

Trump’s physician, Dr. Sean Conley, said the drug was being given "as
a precautionary measure," and that Trump also was taking zinc, vitamin
D, an antacid called famotidine, melatonin and aspirin. None of those
have been proven to be effective against COVID-19.

Trump apparently is not receiving hydroxychloroquine, a drug he widely
promoted that has been shown in many studies to be ineffective for
preventing or treating COVID-19.

Released earlier this week, the first data from a trial using
Regeneron’s COVID-19 antibody cocktail is encouraging. The top dose of
the treatment relieved symptoms more quickly than the placebo for
patients not sick enough to be hospitalized.

The initial phase included 275 patients in the phased study. The most
significant improvements were seen in patients who had not already
mounted a natural response, the company said.

Jeanne Marrazzo, the director of the division of infectious diseases
at the University of Alabama at Birmingham, told CNN the results
appear "very promising."

The company said the treatment is intended as a therapeutic substitute
for a natural response to the virus. According to a news release,
Regeneron said it is hoping to confirm their initial findings in a
second group of patients.

"What I think is fascinating is that it shows that antibodies really
matter and the antibody to the spike protein was really helpful,
particularly when people made the antibodies themselves," said
Marrazzo. "Whether it’s antibody therapy or vaccine that target these
proteins, it sounds like we are on the right track. I think that’s
really encouraging."

Antibodies are proteins the body makes when an infection occurs; they
attach to a virus and help it be eliminated. The blood of survivors is
being tested as a treatment for COVID-19 patients because it contains
such antibodies, but the strength and types of antibodies varies
depending on each donor, and doing this on a large scale is
impractical.

The drugs that Regeneron and other companies are testing are
concentrated versions of specific antibodies that worked best against
the coronavirus in lab and animal tests, and can be made in large,
standardized doses.

They are being tested to treat newly diagnosed COVID-19 patients in
hope of preventing serious disease or death, and to try to prevent
infection in people at high risk of that such as nursing home
residents and health workers.

The Associated press contributed to this report.
Lenona
2020-10-03 00:21:14 UTC
Something else.

Does COVID-19 mean that future candidates for president will have to figure out how to run multiple times before turning 50? (Remember, they have to turn 35 first.)

Or will it just mean that nominees will have to pick veeps under 50 from now on?

Lenona.
radioacti...@gmail.com
2020-10-03 02:56:15 UTC
Friday, October 2, 2020. 10:53 pm ET

The White House has this hour announced that Kellyanne Conway is now testing positive.

The onetime South Jersey native--a multiple-year winner of the Miss Blueberry Festival pageant in her youth, hence her "Blueberry" SS codename--is by my (admittedly-unprofessional) calculus the Trump aide most responsible for his remarkable 2016 Electoral* College victory, which is of course the ONLY count which matters to any constitutionalist.

* Even though the nowadays-in-vogue voicing of "ee-lec-TOR-al" is (alas!) NOT a mispronunciation, y'all oughta instead consider employing the VASTLY less-clunky variant "ee-LECT--tor-al"--which not incidentally is how I gather the Founders pronounced it themselves--for the sake of just simply sounding nice...just as "HARR-is-ment" strikes the eardrum SOOOOOOOOO much more pleasantly than does the equally-correct-but-vaguely-vulgar-sounding variant "huh-RASS-ment".
m***@live.com
2020-10-03 06:32:33 UTC
Evidently, you CAN transmit Covid through a bj. I'm lookin' at you Hope Hicks.
Meteorite Debris
2020-10-07 20:12:04 UTC
On Fri, 2 Oct 2020 08:16:18 -0700 (PDT) that great scribe Lenona
Post by Lenona
My first thought was that Melania is likely pretty mad at him right now.
Then it occurred to me - there's a chance she made every excuse not to stand close to him in the first place over the past few years, so she may not have much of an excuse to get mad, since she probably doesn't know from whom she caught it.
And, naturally, Mr. And Mrs. Biden have said they'll pray for their recovery. (Biden could easily lose against Pence, after all.)
Lenona.
Love to know what good prayer does. Everyone always says "Our prayers
are with...." as if this is some sort of useful action. As though the
god of a trillion galaxies is going to take time out from a 100
supernovas to listen to some petition from a primate on one of a near
infinity of planets on behalf of a temporary nitwit playing tinpot
dictator. And if God had always planned for Trump to die now and had
known this from the dawn of time, why would he change his mind?
Matthew Kruk
Love it. Two thumbs up.
Lenona
2020-10-08 00:22:02 UTC
Post by Meteorite Debris
Love to know what good prayer does.
I agree. George Carlin did a piece on that.

"...Now you come along and pray for something. Well, suppose the thing you want isn’t in god’s divine plan. What do you want him to do? Change his plan? Just for you? Doesn’t it seem a little arrogant? It’s a divine plan. What’s the use of being god if every run-down schmuck with a two dollar prayer book can come along and fuck up your plan? And here’s something else, another problem you might have; suppose your prayers aren’t answered. What do you say? ‘Well it’s god’s will. God’s will be done.’ Fine, but if it god's will and he’s going to do whatever he wants to anyway; why the fuck bother praying in the first place? Seems like a big waste of time to me. Couldn’t you just skip the praying part and get right to his will? It's all very confusing."

Plus this (it could easily be the same thing - can't check right now):

But, *I* was merely saying that it only makes sense that Biden would want Trump to recover.
RH Draney
2020-10-08 06:46:03 UTC
Post by Lenona
Post by Meteorite Debris
Love to know what good prayer does.
I agree. George Carlin did a piece on that.
"...Now you come along and pray for something. Well, suppose the thing you want isn’t in god’s divine plan. What do you want him to do? Change his plan? Just for you? Doesn’t it seem a little arrogant? It’s a divine plan. What’s the use of being god if every run-down schmuck with a two dollar prayer book can come along and fuck up your plan? And here’s something else, another problem you might have; suppose your prayers aren’t answered. What do you say? ‘Well it’s god’s will. God’s will be done.’ Fine, but if it god's will and he’s going to do whatever he wants to anyway; why the fuck bother praying in the first place? Seems like a big waste of time to me. Couldn’t you just skip the praying part and get right to his will? It's all very confusing."
"Pray, v. To ask that the laws of the universe be annulled in behalf of
a single petitioner, confessedly unworthy."
-- Ambrose Bierce in "The Devil's Dictionary", published 1911

....r