Ricky Jay, magician and so much more
Add Reply
MJ Emigh
2018-11-25 03:15:59 UTC
From Variety:

Ricky Jay, a master magician who also acted in films and TV shows such as “Boogie Nights,” “House of Games” and “Deadwood,” died Saturday in Los Angeles. He was 72.

Jay’s manager, Winston Simone, said he died of natural causes, adding, “He was one of a kind. We will never see the likes of him again.”

His attorney Stan Coleman confirmed his death. His partner in the Deceptive Practices company, Michael Weber, tweeted, “I am sorry to share that my remarkable friend, teacher, collaborator and co-conspirator is gone.”

A New Yorker profile called him “the most gifted sleight of hand artist alive,” and Jay was also known for his card tricks and memory feats.

He appeared in several David Mamet movies, including “House of Games,” “The Spanish Prisoner,” “Things Change,” “Redbelt” and “State and Main.”

Steve Martin, with whom he appeared in “The Spanish Prisoner,” described Jay in the New Yorker profile, “I sort of think of Ricky as the intellectual élite of magicians. He’s expertly able to perform and yet he knows the theory, history, literature of the field.”

In “Deadwood,” he played card sharp Eddie Sawyer during the first season, and also wrote for the show.
Bermuda999
2018-11-26 11:04:28 UTC
Post by MJ Emigh
[...]
The upcoming Deadwood movie is set 10 years after the end of the series, but that's two former key players at the Bella Union gone in the last year and a half (Powers Boothe). I actually thought Ricky lasted longer than one season.