2020-03-12 00:09:55 UTC
NYC St. Patrick’s Day Parade canceled, latest victim of coronavirus
By Julia Marsh, Susan Edelman and Aaron Feis
March 11, 2020 | 4:19pm | Updated
The St. Patrick’s Day Parade become the latest victim of the coronavirus on Wednesday, as sources said the fete was being scrapped over contamination fears.
An insider on the committee told The Post that the world-famous annual celebration of Irish culture down Fifth Avenue was indeed canceled over coronavirus concerns, despite a waffling New York Mayor Bill de Blasio.
“My understanding is that de Blasio wasn’t in the middle of it,” the source said. “De Blasio was less than helpful. He dithered. He wouldn’t make a decision one way or another.”
Instead, Parade Chairman Sean Lane and Gov. Andrew Cuomo stepped up to make decision to cancel the beloved parade, held annually since 1762, the source said.
When asked about word of the cancellation at a press briefing after that meeting, Hizzoner was befuddled.
“We’re waiting for confirmation,” said de Blasio. “We heard that, too, but again, from the information I had and the last conversation, that was not confirmed.”
Mayor de Blasio had publicly mulled scrapping the parade, but signaled earlier Wednesday that he would lean heavily on organizers’ opinions.
Cuomo’s press office did not immediately respond to a request for comment on his role.
And the parade committee insisted that the parade was yet to be officially canceled, despite sources saying the decision had been made.
“At this point in time contrary to the media outlets and social media no decision has been made to cancel the NYC St Patricks Day Parade,” the committee wrote in a tweet.
Sources say the official cancellation was being postponed to get past tonight’s big gala, which costs $500 a ticket with tables going up to $50,000, and journal ads at $5,000 a page.
There are 53 confirmed cases of the potentially deadly disease throughout the five boroughs, according to de Blasio, and over 200 statewide.