OT: Corona-cancelled: The 2020 NYC St. Patrick's Day Parade
2020-03-12 00:09:55 UTC
https://nypost.com/2020/03/11/nyc-st-patricks-day-parade-canceled-latest-victim-of-coronavirus/

Metro
NYC St. Patrick’s Day Parade canceled, latest victim of coronavirus

By Julia Marsh, Susan Edelman and Aaron Feis

March 11, 2020 | 4:19pm | Updated

The St. Patrick’s Day Parade become the latest victim of the coronavirus on Wednesday, as sources said the fete was being scrapped over contamination fears.

An insider on the committee told The Post that the world-famous annual celebration of Irish culture down Fifth Avenue was indeed canceled over coronavirus concerns, despite a waffling New York Mayor Bill de Blasio.

“My understanding is that de Blasio wasn’t in the middle of it,” the source said. “De Blasio was less than helpful. He dithered. He wouldn’t make a decision one way or another.”

Instead, Parade Chairman Sean Lane and Gov. Andrew Cuomo stepped up to make decision to cancel the beloved parade, held annually since 1762, the source said.

When asked about word of the cancellation at a press briefing after that meeting, Hizzoner was befuddled.

“We’re waiting for confirmation,” said de Blasio. “We heard that, too, but again, from the information I had and the last conversation, that was not confirmed.”

Mayor de Blasio had publicly mulled scrapping the parade, but signaled earlier Wednesday that he would lean heavily on organizers’ opinions.

Cuomo’s press office did not immediately respond to a request for comment on his role.

And the parade committee insisted that the parade was yet to be officially canceled, despite sources saying the decision had been made.

“At this point in time contrary to the media outlets and social media no decision has been made to cancel the NYC St Patricks Day Parade,” the committee wrote in a tweet.

Sources say the official cancellation was being postponed to get past tonight’s big gala, which costs $500 a ticket with tables going up to $50,000, and journal ads at $5,000 a page.

There are 53 confirmed cases of the potentially deadly disease throughout the five boroughs, according to de Blasio, and over 200 statewide.
Big Mongo
2020-03-12 03:35:05 UTC
https://nypost.com/2020/03/11/nyc-st-patricks-day-parade-canceled-latest-victim-of-coronavirus/
Got the one in Cleveland as well...

https://www.cleveland.com/metro/2020/03/fears-over-spread-of-coronavirus-prompt-cancellation-of-clevelands-st-patricks-day-parade.html

By Robert Higgs, cleveland.com
CLEVELAND , Ohio – Cleveland’s traditional St. Patrick’s Day Parade has been canceled for the first time over concerns about the spread of coronavirus.

The event, which draws thousands of Irish and Irish-for-the-day into downtown Cleveland, was scheduled for St. Patrick’s Day, March 17, the same day as the primary election. As late as Tuesday the parade committee planned to hold the event as scheduled.

But the committee posted notice Wednesday that it was calling off the parade as a precautionary measure.

“Regretfully, the Cleveland St. Patrick’s Day Parade, scheduled on Tuesday, March 17th has been canceled. The United Irish Societies, in collaboration with city officials and public health officials have made this decision as a precautionary measure in the best interest of and for the public health and safety of our community. Our priority is to help prevent new cases."

Linda M. Carney, executive director of the St. Patrick’s Day Parade Committee of the United Irish Societies of Greater Cleveland, did not respond to calls for comment.

At a news conference Wednesday afternoon, Mayor Frank Jackson confirmed that the parade organizers made their decision after consulting with the city. The Cleveland International Film Festival also announced it would cancel.

Jackson urged organizers of large events in Cleveland to consider whether to cancel in light of the spread of the coronavirus.

The state confirmed Ohio’s first three cases of coronavirus Tuesday, all in Cuyahoga County.

At a joint news conference Tuesday involving Cleveland and Cuyahoga County leaders, health officials said they were tracking other people, too, who had had contact with the three patients.

Jackson said then, though, that the situation could change, depending on recommendations by health and safety officials.

Gov. Mike DeWine and state health experts on Tuesday urged canceling in-person college classes, banning spectators from large gatherings such as sporting events and concerts, and temporarily keeping away visitors to Ohio prisons, among other measures.

“Were now at a critical time here in Ohio in regard to the coronavirus,” DeWine said then. “The decisions that we make as individuals in the next few days, the next several weeks will really determine how many lives are going be lost in Ohio.”

On Wednesday, DeWine confirmed he had talked with mayors from Ohio’s large cities to reiterate that in even though there are only a few confirmed cases in Ohio, the situation is serious.

“It was a very, very good conversation,” DeWine said during a tour of the state’s coronavirus hotline operations Wednesday morning. “Because it’s just hard for people to understand the situation that they’re in because they go about their business and they don’t see much going on. This is like going from a total standstill to 140 miles an hour in two seconds.”

This year would have been the 178th rendition of Cleveland’s St. Patrick’s Day observances, which date from 1842.

Cuyahoga Common Pleas Judge Brendan Sheehan, 52, has been watching the parade or taking part in it for as long as he can remember. For the past 20 years or so he and his mother have marched with the West Side Irish-American Club.

While disappointed he won’t get the chance to so again this year, “I do support the decision of the parade committee,” he said. “I mean our goal is to keep people safe and not spread a virus, and hopefully people will find another way to celebrate and not infect other folks.