A father and his 9-year-old daughter were killed while hunting. They were mistaken for deer
Add Reply
Big Mongo
2020-01-03 05:53:11 UTC
https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/02/us/father-daughter-hunting-death-trnd/index.html

A father and his 9-year-old daughter were killed while hunting. They were mistaken for deer

The hunting accident happened in Walterboro, South Carolina.

(CNN)A South Carolina man and and his daughter died after being shot while hunting deer on New Year's Day, a relative of the victims told CNN affiliate WCBD.

Kim Drawdy, 30, and his 9-year-old daughter, Lauren, were hunting Wednesday near their home in Walterboro, South Carolina, according to Benny Drawdy, Kim's brother.

The two were shot by hunters after being mistaken for deer, according to the South Carolina Department of Natural Resources (SCDNR). The agency said a group of four hunters was driving deer, which is when a group walks toward the animals to move them, but it did not give further details on how two of the hunters were shot.
"When I got the message, I just couldn't believe it," Drawdy told WCBD. "My heart stopped when they told me it was my brother and his daughter."

Emergency crews responded and found the victims about half a mile into the woods, Colleton County Fire Chief Barry McRoy told CNN. The Colleton County Coroner has not yet released the cause and manner of death, according McRoy.
The SCDNR is investigating the shooting.
Bryan Styble
2020-01-03 11:08:28 UTC
Wow.

There are actually loads of reasons I've never gone hunting and am not apt to here in The Roaring Twenties Redux--most elemental among them the fact that at home or out, I'm an INdoorsman, not an outdoorsman--but I suppose this family's sad fate is the most fundamental rationale.

(It also seems terribly unfair that the fauna prey aren't afforded their own 2nd Amendment rights; heck, a deer isn't even allowed to bring a KNIFE to a gun fight!)

BRYAN STYBLE/Florida
Bryan Styble
2020-01-03 12:27:47 UTC
Yikes!

I just recalled the 2nd Amendment phraseology--"...the right of the people..."--which I must admit clearly restricts that entitlement to humans.

Still, hunting is widely called a "sport"--but just how sporting is it when you're not able to shoot back?

STYBLE/Florida
Louis Epstein
2020-01-03 19:14:34 UTC
Post by Bryan Styble
Yikes!
I just recalled the 2nd Amendment phraseology--"...the right of the people..."--which I must admit clearly restricts that entitlement to humans.
Still, hunting is widely called a "sport"--but just how sporting is it when you're not able to shoot back?
STYBLE/Florida
So what would deerhunters do if they were only allowed to be armed with antlers?

2020-01-03 14:22:59 UTC
Here's a YouTube link to the subject-appropriate song "The Hunting Song" by Tom Lehrer. This is the studio version with an orchestra AND the gunshot sonnd effects.

Kenny McCormack
2020-01-03 19:12:00 UTC
Here's a YouTube link to the subject-appropriate song "The Hunting Song"
by Tom Lehrer. This is the studio version with an orchestra AND the
gunshot sonnd effects.
http://youtu.be/Tyu7dstANgo
Excellent!
I was thinking about the Tom Lehrer song upon first seeing this thread.
--
There are many self-professed Christians who seem to think that because
they believe in Jesus' sacrifice they can reject Jesus' teachings about
Jesus' teachings by voting for Republicans.
Louis Epstein
2020-01-03 19:15:54 UTC
Post by Big Mongo
[...]
Another story:
http://abcnews4.com/news/local/walterboro-grieves-for-father-and-daughter-killed-in-new-years-day-hunting-accident

Just how did the hunters who shot them think they were deer?

2020-01-03 20:00:30 UTC
Post by Louis Epstein
Just how did the hunters who shot them think they were deer?
Yeah. I mean, IIRC, people in the woods are advised to wear orange so this won't happen, but aren't hunters ALSO supposed to triple-check what they're shooting at, in case the first party forgot what to wear?

I also seem to remember that Dick Cheney broke a rule when HE shot Harry Whittington, in 2006. Namely: One Does Not Shoot Into Tall Grass.

Lenona.
Steve Hayes