Art Metrano, 84, comedian/comic aetor -- cue the music for 'Fine & Dandy'
2021-09-10 11:19:17 UTC
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/art-metrano-dead-police-academy-stand-up-comic-1235010490/
That Derek
2021-09-10 11:33:05 UTC
YouTube clip: The AmazingMetrano. Lord, he was as tedious as Billy Saluga/Raymone J. Johnson Jr.

A Friend
2021-09-10 18:21:25 UTC
YouTube clip: The AmazingMetrano. Lord, he was as tedious as Billy
Saluga/Raymone J. Johnson Jr.
http://youtu.be/_-SNrvHdZJE
There was a run of those guys back then. Let's not forget the
construction worker who'd come on stage while singing "I've Gotta Be
Me" and take off his outer clothing to reveal he was wearing fancy
women's underwear. He'd do this on one variety show after another.

That's entertainment.
That Derek
2021-09-11 01:35:38 UTC
Remember that "corkscrew guy"? He'd utilize his corkscrew to perform celebrity impersonations of Jack LaLanne, Mark Spitz, Linda Blair, a guy bding mugged in Central Park. ...

It got old fast.

Glen "Mr. Megaphone" Super?

Bruce "Baby Man" Baum who had "Marty Feldman Eyes"?

Louis Epstein
2021-09-11 03:30:59 UTC
http://youtu.be/CSZPrDPs5ao
It got old fast.
Glen "Mr. Megaphone" Super?
Bruce "Baby Man" Baum who had "Marty Feldman Eyes"?
http://youtu.be/jC-ZK-lxws4
Probably more charismatic than William "Baby Man" Windsor
(who didn't try to be a comedian but probably turned the
stomachs of many reading his press coverage).

David Samuel Barr
2021-09-12 04:03:27 UTC
Art Metrano and Bill Saluga were completely
different people. Saluga created the Raymond
J. Johnson Jr character when he was a founding
member of the Ace Trucking Company comedy
troupe in the 1970s.
http://youtu.be/_-SNrvHdZJE
A Friend
2021-09-12 12:04:18 UTC
Post by David Samuel Barr
Art Metrano and Bill Saluga were completely
different people. Saluga created the Raymond
J. Johnson Jr character when he was a founding
member of the Ace Trucking Company comedy
troupe in the 1970s.
I think he knows they're different people. Derek said he found Metrano
*as tedious as* Saluga.
http://youtu.be/_-SNrvHdZJE
A Friend
2021-09-12 15:13:59 UTC
Post by A Friend
Post by David Samuel Barr
Art Metrano and Bill Saluga were completely
different people. Saluga created the Raymond
J. Johnson Jr character when he was a founding
member of the Ace Trucking Company comedy
troupe in the 1970s.
I think he knows they're different people. Derek said he found Metrano
*as tedious as* Saluga.
I should have added that there were several acts like this that worked
the TV-variety circuit. They'd be on the Smothers Brothers one week
and Dean Martin the next. They were familiar but brief presences.

I might have mentioned here that I remember an act in which three or
four guys came out in military gear and rifles. All they did was march
from stage left to stage right while crouched forward, and then back
again. They'd say "Hip, trip trip four, hip trip trip four" as they
did so. I thought it was meaningless tripe. My father saw it as an
attack on the country's policy on Vietnam and everything else he held
dear. I guess we were both right.
http://youtu.be/_-SNrvHdZJE
David Samuel Barr
2021-09-13 00:29:14 UTC
Yes, well for some reason the first "as" wasn't (and
still isn't) showing up in his post as it displays
here; it reads "was tedious as"(*). I thought it
was rather peculiar that he would think that Seluga
was an alter ego of or character played by Metrano
but wanted to clarify that for anyone unfamiliar
with the two. Of course, after I sent my post and
then opened it to see that it displayed properly I
saw his quoted text showing within it with the
missing "as" in its proper place and realised my
error in responding but after 25 years on Usenet I
still have no idea how to cancel a post.

(* or I could blame it on my current macular edema
problem which is causing gaps in my vision but that
seems a bit of a cop-out; either way, like
Bluebottle, "ooh, I feel a proper fool now")
http://youtu.be/_-SNrvHdZJE
Louis Epstein
2021-09-11 03:29:47 UTC
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/art-metrano-dead-police-academy-stand-up-comic-1235010490/
I remember him from "The Chicago Teddy Bears",
even if no one else does.