A Litany of Useless Laws Have Been Exposed By the Coronavirus
Add Reply
Dave P.
2020-03-25 08:06:26 UTC
A Litany of Useless Laws Have Been Exposed By the Coronavirus
The ability to suspend these laws without fear of endangering the public opens the door to questioning their purpose.
by Charles Blain, 3/24/20, Foundation For Economic Education

From the start of the COVID-19 outbreak in the United States, state and local governments responded in various ways from issuing emergency orders⁠—citywide shutdowns⁠ to school closures and beyond⁠—but it’s the suspension of various laws and regulations that is exposing the unnecessary regulatory web that burdens businesses.

As often happens during emergencies, governors and mayors across the country have used executive power to waive laws and bypass regulations. This allows goods to get to the public quicker at lower cost, more service providers to enter struggling industries, and the market to respond to the crisis in countless other ways.

Lifting these regulations does not put public health or safety in jeopardy; if that were the case, they wouldn’t be lifted with such ease. But this should lead the public to question why the regulatory burdens exist at all.

Useless Regulations

In Texas, Gov. Greg Abbott waived oversize and overweight restrictions for commercial trucks and suspended requirements to register under the International Registration Plan or to obtain temporary registration, as long as the truck is registered in one US state.

Gov. Abbott also waived regulations allowing doctors to receive the same payment for over-the-phone telemedicine visits that they would for in-person visits for patients on state-regulated insurance plans.

Most notably, he waived state laws that prohibit alcohol industry trucks from delivering supplies to grocery stores saying, “by removing these regulations, we are streamlining the process to replenish the shelves in grocery stores across the state.” All of these moves allowed for the market to identify the needs of the public and fill them as quickly as possible.

In Boston, restaurants typically need a specific permit to provide carry-out service, but Mayor Marty Walsh lifted that requirement to allow for every restaurant to offer the service. Even New York City suspended its enforcement of illegal e-bikes during the crisis to accommodate for the influx of delivery orders, the state also moved to allow liquor-to-go.

Supply and Demand

Due to the increased demand, and ability for the supply chain to keep up with that demand, supermarket companies like H-E-B, Kroger, and Randall’s announced they’d be hiring thousands of additional staff. The newfound flexibility on trucking regulations means that grocers like H-E-B are deploying 1,300 trucks a day to continuously supply their stores.

In New Jersey, Bayonne ended enforcement of expired Resident and Driveway Parking permits. They also suspended issuing permits for what they consider “minor work,” like plumbing, electrical, mechanical, fire, and building. As long as contractors alert the city of the work they intend to do, the city will inspect it at a later date.

The ability to suspend these laws without fear of endangering the public opens the door to questioning their purpose. Many of these regulations appear to serve as no more than impediments to free exchange. If these measures exist simply to generate additional government revenue, the public should ask themselves, once the crisis has abated: should they exist at all?

Charles Blain is the founder and executive director of Urban Reform, a Houston-based non-profit focused on free-market solutions to urban issues.

https://fee.org/articles/a-litany-of-useless-laws-have-been-exposed-by-the-coronavirus/
Adam H. Kerman
2020-03-25 08:14:17 UTC
Post by Dave P.
A Litany of Useless Laws Have Been Exposed By the Coronavirus
The ability to suspend these laws without fear of endangering the public
opens the door to questioning their purpose.
by Charles Blain, 3/24/20, Foundation For Economic Education
Useless Regulations
In Texas, Gov. Greg Abbott waived oversize and overweight restrictions
for commercial trucks and suspended requirements to register under the
International Registration Plan or to obtain temporary registration, as
long as the truck is registered in one US state.
The laws against oversize and overweight trucks aren't useless at all.
This guy doesn't actually understand the economics of trucking, does he.
Kenny McCormack
2020-03-25 13:37:12 UTC
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Post by Dave P.
A Litany of Useless Laws Have Been Exposed By the Coronavirus
The ability to suspend these laws without fear of endangering the public
opens the door to questioning their purpose.
by Charles Blain, 3/24/20, Foundation For Economic Education
Useless Regulations
In Texas, Gov. Greg Abbott waived oversize and overweight restrictions
for commercial trucks and suspended requirements to register under the
International Registration Plan or to obtain temporary registration, as
long as the truck is registered in one US state.
The laws against oversize and overweight trucks aren't useless at all.
This guy doesn't actually understand the economics of trucking, does he.
This guy (Dave P) doesn't understand anything. Period. Full stop.
--
Note that Oprah actually is all the things that The Donald only wishes he were.
For one thing, she actually *is* a billionaire. She's also actually self-made,
and is mentally stable.
Adam H. Kerman
2020-03-25 17:14:49 UTC
Post by Kenny McCormack
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Post by Dave P.
A Litany of Useless Laws Have Been Exposed By the Coronavirus
The ability to suspend these laws without fear of endangering the public
opens the door to questioning their purpose.
by Charles Blain, 3/24/20, Foundation For Economic Education
Useless Regulations
In Texas, Gov. Greg Abbott waived oversize and overweight restrictions
for commercial trucks and suspended requirements to register under the
International Registration Plan or to obtain temporary registration, as
long as the truck is registered in one US state.
The laws against oversize and overweight trucks aren't useless at all.
This guy doesn't actually understand the economics of trucking, does he.
This guy (Dave P) doesn't understand anything. Period. Full stop.
Not to intrude on your flame war, I was referring to the author of the
article whose full-text copyright was infringed upon, Charles Blain, not
the infringer.
Kenny McCormack
2020-03-25 18:06:43 UTC
In article <r5g3i9$m6q$***@dont-email.me>, Adam H. Kerman <***@chinet.com> wrote:
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Post by Kenny McCormack
Post by Adam H. Kerman
The laws against oversize and overweight trucks aren't useless at all.
This guy doesn't actually understand the economics of trucking, does he.
This guy (Dave P) doesn't understand anything. Period. Full stop.
Not to intrude on your flame war, I was referring to the author of the
article whose full-text copyright was infringed upon, Charles Blain, not
the infringer.
I get the point you're making - that you were actually complaining about
the skill/intelligence/ability/trustworthiness/whatever of the original
author, while I chose to lash out at the original poster.

However, be aware that I really don't care about any prior authors. In my
world view, if a person (such as me or anyone else) posts a text to Usenet,
in such a way that they clearly are endorsing it (i.e., it is not satire or
any other sort of "Well, this is what *some* people think"), then they are
the target. As I said, any prior authors become irrelevant.

Having said that, it is also true that there are some prior posts by "Dave P"
that have helped form my opinion of him as an idiot.

Also, I don't care about the "copyright" issues that seem to concern you.

Finally, note that the reason why I explicitly mentioned "Dave P" in my
primarily so that the person to whom I was most directly responding to
(I.e., YOU) would not assume that I was lashing out at them. Although this
later concern may seem overly-cautious, perhaps even contrived, the fact is
that it frequently happens on Usenet.
--
This is the GOP's problem. When you're at the beginning of the year
and you've got nine Democrats running for the nomination, maybe one or
or eight of them are Michelle Bachmann.
Adam H. Kerman
2020-03-25 21:01:23 UTC
Post by Kenny McCormack
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Post by Kenny McCormack
Post by Adam H. Kerman
The laws against oversize and overweight trucks aren't useless at all.
This guy doesn't actually understand the economics of trucking, does he.
This guy (Dave P) doesn't understand anything. Period. Full stop.
Not to intrude on your flame war, I was referring to the author of the
article whose full-text copyright was infringed upon, Charles Blain, not
the infringer.
I get the point you're making - that you were actually complaining about
the skill/intelligence/ability/trustworthiness/whatever of the original
author, while I chose to lash out at the original poster. . . .
Yeah. I don't get why you chose to put me in the middle of it, as your
followup had nothing to do with what I'd written.

You've given me a series of reasons in an excessively lengthy followp as
to why you shouldn't have posted that followup to my precursor article.

Are you completely and utterly insane?
Dave P.

Adam H. Kerman
2020-03-25 21:03:49 UTC
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Post by Dave P.
A Litany of Useless Laws Have Been Exposed By the Coronavirus
The ability to suspend these laws without fear of endangering the public
opens the door to questioning their purpose.
by Charles Blain, 3/24/20, Foundation For Economic Education
Useless Regulations
In Texas, Gov. Greg Abbott waived oversize and overweight restrictions
for commercial trucks and suspended requirements to register under the
International Registration Plan or to obtain temporary registration, as
long as the truck is registered in one US state.
The laws against oversize and overweight trucks aren't useless at all.
This guy doesn't actually understand the economics of trucking, does he.
Gov. Abbott also waived . . .
All of that crap requoted the article you didn't write in the first
place, all of which you had quoted in the root article in this thread.
It wasn't all that well written to begin with and didn't require being
requoted a second time.

Are you insane? You and Kenny deserve each other.
Dave P.
2020-03-26 03:27:23 UTC
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Post by Dave P.
[...]
My comment in the New York Times:
Dave P, NC, March 21
You can't keep adding 80 million people a year,
worldwide, & expect things to work out well!
That's 1 billion every 12 years! Another India or China
every 12 years! Are you crazy??
[4 Recommend] [Share]