James E. Gunn, 97, sci-fi novelist & Hugo winner
Add Reply
Lenona
2020-12-24 02:29:40 UTC
Not to be confused with the 54-year-old screenwriter.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_E._Gunn_(writer)

https://www.kansascity.com/news/local/article248066660.html
(short obit)

https://locusmag.com/2020/12/james-gunn-1923-2020/

First paragraphs:

Author James Gunn, 97, died December 23, 2020. Gunn was a science fiction author, editor, scholar, and anthologist.

James Edwin Gunn was born on July 12, 1923 in Kansas City MO. He earned two degrees from the University of Kansas, wrapped around three years of service in the US Navy in WWII and a year of freelance writing that produced nine stories. Published under the pseudonym Edwin James, they include his first two, ‘‘Paradox’’ and ‘‘Communications’’, which appeared in 1949 in Thrilling Wonder and Startling.

Gunn took a job with Western Printing in Racine WI, working on the Dell paperback line, before returning to freelancing following a fortuitous trip to the 1952 Worldcon in Chicago, where he met Mack Reynolds, Clifford D. Simak, Jack Williamson, and his agent Frederik Pohl, among others...
Lenona
2020-12-24 02:36:10 UTC
https://kijjohnson.com/with-great-sadness/
(remembrance)

https://groups.google.com/g/rec.arts.books.childrens/c/OIWIwJtZk-E/m/6FCQlphI4CwJ
(birthday post from 2013)

https://www.kirkusreviews.com/author/james-gunn/
(three Kirkus reviews)

https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/3033685.James_E_Gunn

Lenona.
Lenona
2020-12-24 02:45:28 UTC
https://www.fantasticfiction.com/g/james-e-gunn/
(book covers)
Louis Epstein
2020-12-24 02:55:32 UTC
Post by Lenona
[...]
I've heard it said that he was the current "Dean of Science Fiction"
as in significant author with the earliest first professional publication.
(E.E. Smith,Murray Leinster,and Jack Williamson having been this previously).
Who now succeeds?

J.D. Baldwin
2020-12-24 13:22:29 UTC
Post by Louis Epstein
I've heard it said that he was the current "Dean of Science Fiction"
as in significant author with the earliest first professional
publication. (E.E. Smith,Murray Leinster,and Jack Williamson having
been this previously). Who now succeeds?
Piers Anthony, the wiki informs me, is 86. If there's someone
significant left who is older than him, he's almost certainly nowhere
near *as* significant.
2020-12-24 15:34:30 UTC
Post by J.D. Baldwin
Post by Louis Epstein
I've heard it said that he was the current "Dean of Science Fiction"
as in significant author with the earliest first professional
publication. (E.E. Smith,Murray Leinster,and Jack Williamson having
been this previously). Who now succeeds?
Piers Anthony, the wiki informs me, is 86. If there's someone
significant left who is older than him, he's almost certainly nowhere
near *as* significant.
Not a question of age,though,but of earliest professional publication.
Robert Silverberg has him beat there (AND in the significance department
IMO) but who else?

Nitelight62
2020-12-24 19:49:39 UTC
Post by Louis Epstein
Post by Louis Epstein
I've heard it said that he was the current "Dean of Science Fiction"
as in significant author with the earliest first professional
publication. (E.E. Smith,Murray Leinster,and Jack Williamson having
been this previously). Who now succeeds?
Piers Anthony, the wiki informs me, is 86. If there's someone
significant left who is older than him, he's almost certainly nowhere
near *as* significant.
Not a question of age,though,but of earliest professional publication.
Robert Silverberg has him beat there (AND in the significance department
IMO) but who else?
Ron Goulart published his first story in 1950 and his most recent in 2017.