Lou & Judi Friedman, in July, environmental advocates
l***@yahoo.com
2016-11-17 02:51:06 UTC
They lived in Canton, Connecticut. Lou was 81, Judi was 80.

http://www.carmonfuneralhome.com/obituary/Judi-and-Lou-Friedman/Canton-CT/1641426

Most of it (there are 30-plus comments):

Judi and Lou Friedman passed away peacefully at their home on Tuesday, July 26, 2016. They are survived by their three children: Kim Friedman (Vermont), Dana Friedman (California) and Seth Friedman (Vermont); their children's spouses; and four grandchildren.

Judi and Lou lived full lives characterized by passion, political activism, a commitment to family, and strongly-held beliefs about the pressing social, economic and political issues of our time. They relished lively debates with friends and family on topics ranging from energy policy to the upcoming Presidential election. Their strong identification as global citizens was reinforced by extensive travel within and outside the United States.

After teaching third grade for five years, Judi devoted herself to raising her children. In her thirties, she discovered writing non-fiction children's books as a way to combine her love for young children, her love of nature, and her concern for the environment. She published nine books over the course of thirty years. One environmental book geared for elementary-aged children was published in numerous countries, including the former Soviet Union, Costa Rica and Bermuda. In her capacity as the chairperson of People's Action for Clean Energy (PACE), Judi devoted many hours over four decades to educating Connecticut residents about the dangers of nuclear power and promoting solar power as a viable alternative.

After teaching English at Kingswood-Oxford School in West Hartford, Connecticut, Lou founded Westledge School in Simsbury, Connecticut, in 1968. The school, which was on the cutting edge of progressive education at the time, touched the lives of many students, faculty and trustees in meaningful ways that are still felt today.

After leaving Westledge, Lou and Judi were on the forefront of the citizen's peace movement in the former Soviet Union. This grassroots effort to end the Cold War and build new relationships between Soviet and U.S. citizens focused on annual exchanges over many years in the former Soviet Union and in the U.S. These exchanges led to some of Judi and Lou's closest friends, both in the U.S. and the Soviet Union.

Still concerned about the threat of nuclear weapons, Judi, Lou and several colleagues from the peace movement co-founded Beyond Nuclear, a national nonprofit organization that is working for a nuclear-free world...

http://bnonews.com/news/index.php/news/id4963
http://www.courant.com/news/connecticut/hc-canton-friedmans-cause-0729-20160728-story.html
(more)

http://www.courant.com/community/canton/hc-canton-lou-judi-friedman-0727-20160726-story.html
(long remembrance)

First paragraphs:

Louis and Judith Friedman took their mission throughout the state, the country, the world. Once, on a trip to the Soviet-era Kremlin, they famously presented Mikhail Gorbachev with a solar-powered watch.

But they never left Canton or the house on their sprawling, 25-acre property, an energy-efficient marvel built decades before "global warming" was rolled into the national lexicon.

The couple, pioneers in advocating for environmental issues, were found dead in that home Tuesday, but residents say their legacy in this town of 10,300 — and beyond — will live on.

"They were nice people. They were always willing to help," Karen Bahre, the owner of Applegate Farms, said Tuesday. The Friedmans were frequent patrons of the farm's produce stand, located down the road from their property. Last year, Judith even offered to donate some of the raspberries from their farm to Bahre and her workers...

http://www.beyondnuclear.org/home/2016/7/27/to-judi-and-lou-friedman-a-thank-you-and-farewell.html
(tribute)

First half:

Two people who were very precious not only to Beyond Nuclear, but to humanity, chose to leave this world on Tuesday, July 26th.

Judi Friedman, 80 and Lou Friedman, 81 — educators, humanitarians, peace envoys, parents, grandparents, friends, colleagues — died at home in Connecticut, leaving life in the same selfless manner that they lived it.

They slipped away together like two teenagers on a secret date, which in many ways is exactly who they always were. Sweethearts since college, sweethearts they remained. Their enduring love envisioned no agony of separation or bereavement one from the other; no hell of hospitals; no burden on their loved ones. They ended it when they still could, clear of mind but wracked by too many physical tortures.

Nothing we can say or write about them can ever do them justice. The praise they heaped on our work, our commitment, was almost impossible to return. To them, we were always amazing, precious people, doing incredible and important work. Yet these were the accolades that described Judi and Lou precisely.

Lou Friedman was a founding board member of Beyond Nuclear and the Chair of our Board of Directors at the time of his death. He also co-founded Beyond Nuclear, helping to craft the organization from its inception. He was our cornerstone, our anchor. But Lou also ensured that our building would not crumble; our ship would not drift or founder. He worked tirelessly to build Beyond Nuclear into the organization it is today, reaching out to everyone far and wide to encourage their support and participation.

Judi Friedman ran her own Connecticut-based organization — People’s Action for Clean Energy (PACE). At the same time, she was as much a part of the Beyond Nuclear family as Lou. She too reached out to offer help, ideas, leads. We would not be where we are today without them.

How they found the time to dedicate themselves to our cause alongside the many others they embraced will forever remain a mystery. From promoting détente between Russians and Americans during the Cold War; peace activism through Promoting Enduring Peace; fundraising for victims of the Chernobyl nuclear power plant disaster; protection of nature and all creatures and plants; running nature camps for children; and promotion of renewable energy implementation; their lives were replete with service.

They saw all issues as connected. Environmental advocacy was as much about civil rights as it was about clean air. And they still had time for family and friends, their dogs and horses. The big picture and the small held equal importance....

http://cantoncompass.com/2016/718846/canton-community-mourns-loss-of-judi-and-lou-friedman/
(another tribute)

https://www.swarthmore.edu/library/peace/DG226-250/dg238friedman.html
(about Lou Friedman)

http://www.nytimes.com/1992/09/13/nyregion/in-pursuit-of-peace-and-ecological-balance.html?pagewanted=all
(1992 article on the couple: "In Pursuit of Peace and Ecological Balance")

https://www.google.com/search?q=%22judi+friedman%22&biw=1280&bih=582&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAmoVChMI-q2K44iOyQIVzGk-Ch3LbQFn#tbm=isch&q=%22judi+friedman%22+books&imgrc=_
(book covers and a photo - with the toy bunny)

http://www.worldcat.org/identities/lccn-n50058526/
(synopses)

About "Jelly Jam, the People Preserver"

http://www.jellyjam.org/scripts/history.cgi?ENGLISH

WRITINGS BY JUDI FRIEDMAN:

*The Story of Connecticut, privately printed, 1960.
*(Editor with L. K. Porritt) Tales of Early Life in Connecticut, privately printed, 1960.

*Jelly Jam, the People Preserver (self-illustrated elementary school text), with teacher's guide, Educational Methods, 1972.
*The ABC of a Summer Pond (juvenile), Johnny Reads, 1975.
*The Biting Book (juvenile), Prentice-Hall, 1975.
*The Eel's Strange Journey (juvenile), Crowell, 1975.
*Noises in the Woods, Dutton (New York, NY), 1979.

*Puffins, Come Back!, Dodd, Mead (New York, NY), 1981.
*Operation Siberian Crane: The Story Behind the International Effort to Save an Amazing Bird, Dillon Press (New York, NY), 1992.

Lenona.
l***@yahoo.com
2016-11-17 02:53:12 UTC
https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#tbm=vid&q=louis+friedman
(videos of Lou Friedman)
l***@yahoo.com
2016-11-17 02:54:36 UTC
And there seems to be confusion about Lou's birth year. One source says 1934, another says 1941.
Bryan Styble
2016-11-17 03:07:20 UTC
A very interesting double obituary. Like most, I'd imagine, I greatly admire their determination to go out on their own terms. Whichever their unreported methods, I hope it was painless for each.

But I'm curious as to whether Louis Epstein, long a passionate voice herein for liberty as well as in opposition to self-deliverance--or at least, physician-assisted types of same--might not grant a certain admiration for two lifelong companions who so controlled their own fate?

BRYAN STYBLE/Florida
c***@aol.com
2016-11-17 03:31:32 UTC
Those obits maybe the biggest pile of horseshit I've read since Obama's autobiography.

Suicide is many things, peaceful is not one of them.