John Madden, NFL coaching and broadcasting institution, 85
Add Reply
radioacti...@gmail.com
2021-12-29 01:36:14 UTC
Like the late Senator Reid's incomplete obit reports, it's not yet clear (at 8:34 pm ET) where Madden died at age 85 this morning.

BRYAN STYBLE/Florida
radioacti...@gmail.com
2021-12-29 01:44:08 UTC
OK, non-Boomers--I suppose he was an NFL video-gaming institution, too.

STYBLE/Florida
A Friend
2021-12-29 03:03:13 UTC
Post by ***@gmail.com
OK, non-Boomers--I suppose he was an NFL video-gaming institution, too.
STYBLE/Florida
And for those of us who have never given a shit about football, he did
some commercials for stuff.

I remember that he took a chartered bus around the country during
football season because he didn't like to fly. Sure enough, he didn't
die in a plane wreck.
radioacti...@gmail.com
2021-12-29 03:44:24 UTC
Yep, Madden sure indeed did all KINDS of commercial endorsements. But one was SPECTACULARLY insensitive.

For though Madden put his name on lots things willy-nilly for the bucks, the late great(er) Pat Summerall, Madden's longtime NFL booth partner--and FAR superior broadcaster and elucidator of the pro game's myriad intricies--both at CBS where he was first teamed with Madden (after the late Tom Brookshier flamed out and was demoted from the CBS brass from the Summerall-led A-team following some ill-considered words during an unfortunate college hoops broadcast), and then for more many NFL seasons on Fox--had pretty much only ONE longtime sponsor.

And that was True Value hardware stores, a FAR better company than either their successor super-stores Home Depot and Lowes. So if Madden was indeed the sterling fellow all the ESPN tributes will be telling us ad nauseam for at least remaining hours of 2021, the late Raiders legend SHOULD have responded when Ace Hardware execs came calling with something like, "Hey guys, much appreciate your HANDSOME offer, but I'm afraid my valued partner and fellow NFL Hall of Famer* ALREADY has a long-term deal with True Value, and it just wouldn't be RIGHT to directly compete with him in the commercials while sharing the booth with my pal Summerall during our sportscasts."

STYBLE/Florida
* And I'd like to think Madden's FRIEND, as well.