Deathwaych: NYC powerhouse radio station WPLJ, 95.5FM (1971-May 31, 2019)
2019-05-08 16:29:30 UTC
https://www.nj.com/entertainment/2019/05/955-wplj-will-soon-shut-down-after-nearly-50-years-of-sending-the-hits-to-nj.html

95.5 WPLJ will soon shut down after nearly 50 years of spinning the hits

Updated 12:09 PM; Today 9:12 AM

WPLJ, the stalwart New York hit radio station, will cease operation May 31.

By Bobby Olivier | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

Prepare to adjust your FM radio presets, New Jersey listeners — 95.5 WPLJ is going off the air.

The longstanding New York radio station that for nearly 50 years has sent pop and rock hits across the Hudson River and broadcast throughout North and Central New Jersey announced Wednesday it will cease operation May 31. The Cumulus Media-owned station was sold to Christian broadcaster Educational Media Foundation in February, and the new Christian contemporary station K-Love (WKLV) will take over the 95.5 channel June 1, RadioInsight reports.

“The rumors you’ve been hearing are true,” PLJ announced in a video posted to Twitter Wednesday morning. “As hard as it is to believe, WPLJ will be going away on Friday, May 31. The format and personalities you’ve come to love over the years will no longer broadcast on 95.5.”

PLJ began in 1971 as an AOR (album-oriented rock) station and transitioned in 1983 to playing Top 40 contemporary hits. The early ’90s brought another shift to a hybrid of pop hits and adult contemporary known as the “hot adult contemporary” format.

In other words, PLJ has for more than 25 years been one of New Jersey listeners’ premier dial-stops for the day’s biggest singles (largely devoid of pure hip-hop) mixed in with pop and rock throwbacks. It was a preset station in your mom’s old sedan and if you were into popular music, it eventually became a preset for you, too. It was a station where you could get the hits without the corporate facelessness of hit-radio competitor Z100.

Thousands tune in every morning for the “Todd and Jayde in the Morning" show and the duo’s popular segment, “Blown Off,” where the DJs hilariously reconnect the victims of first dates gone wrong.

I was always partial to “The Bill Ayres Show,” a late-night weekly talk show that began way back in 1973 and airs Sunday nights. It was a go-to listen for me after long nights in the office, sitting in my car, eating drive-thru McDonald’s and listening to Ayres talk love, loss and everything in between.

Happy trails, PLJ, you’ll be missed.

Bobby Olivier may be reached at ***@njadvancemedia.com. Follow him on ***@BobbyOlivier and Facebook. Find NJ.com on Facebook.Have a tip? Tell us.nj.com/tips
m***@gmail.com
2019-05-08 16:54:54 UTC
https://www.nj.com/entertainment/2019/05/955-wplj-will-soon-shut-down-after-nearly-50-years-of-sending-the-hits-to-nj.html
95.5 WPLJ will soon shut down after nearly 50 years of spinning the hits
<snip>

Originally it was known as WABC-FM then changed to WPLJ. I think it was on as ABC-FM around 1969(?). They had folks on in the beginning like Bob-a-loo Lewis (who had been on WABC-AM) and some guy called "Brother John" who was this mellow guy preaching love and peace and spinning wax.

Rumor was that they called it WPLJ to stand for White Port and Lemon Juice.

A Friend
2019-05-08 19:18:49 UTC
Post by m***@gmail.com
Post by That Derek
https://www.nj.com/entertainment/2019/05/955-wplj-will-soon-shut-down-after-
nearly-50-years-of-sending-the-hits-to-nj.html
95.5 WPLJ will soon shut down after nearly 50 years of spinning the hits
<snip>
Originally it was known as WABC-FM then changed to WPLJ. I think it was on
as ABC-FM around 1969(?). They had folks on in the beginning like Bob-a-loo
Lewis (who had been on WABC-AM) and some guy called "Brother John" who was
this mellow guy preaching love and peace and spinning wax.
Rumor was that they called it WPLJ to stand for White Port and Lemon Juice.
http://youtu.be/JJiyMC1xhDs
It's more than a rumor. From Wikipedia:

"On February 14, 1971, the station's call letters were changed [from
WABC-FM] to WPLJ, chosen after Allen Shaw noticed the letter
combination as the name of a song on the 1970 Mothers of Invention
record, Burnt Weeny Sandwich. The song, 'W-P-L-J', was originally
performed by the Four Deuces in 1955 and stood for 'White Port and
Lemon Juice'."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WPLJ
m***@gmail.com
👍
t***@gmail.com
2019-05-09 12:54:24 UTC
https://www.nj.com/entertainment/2019/05/955-wplj-will-soon-shut-down-after-nearly-50-years-of-sending-the-hits-to-nj.html
It was truly the end of an era when KQV Pittsburgh, a three letter call sign 50k major market radio station shut down for good. Something I never thought would happen.