Obituaries on Facebook
Add Reply
p***@gmail.com
2019-03-10 22:18:34 UTC
Reluctant as I've been to do so, I have recently succumbed to social media, and have joined several groups on Facebook that align with my varied interests.

That said, I have found no equivalent to alt.obituaries there, although I'm fairly sure there has to be one, given the dwindling activity hereabouts. Can someone point me in the right direction please?

Thanks muchly in advance.
danny burstein
2019-03-10 22:20:43 UTC
Post by p***@gmail.com
Reluctant as I've been to do so, I have recently succumbed to social media, and have joined several groups on Facebook that align with my varied interests.
That said, I have found no equivalent to alt.obituaries there, although I'm fairly sure there has to be one, given the dwindling activity hereabouts. Can someone point me in the right direction please?
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1431755740389768/?ref=bookmarks

Note that you'll have to kick a note to the
administrators before you'll actually be
a part of it.
***@panix.com
p***@gmail.com
2019-03-10 22:22:20 UTC
Thanks, Danny!
t***@iwvisp.com
2019-03-10 22:58:08 UTC
Facebook:
Aodeadpool.org

Most are former alt.obituaries members
Steve Hayes

Thanks muchly in advance.
David LaRue
2019-03-13 08:52:01 UTC
Post by p***@gmail.com
Reluctant as I've been to do so, I have recently succumbed to social
media, and have joined several groups on Facebook that align with my
varied interests.
That said, I have found no equivalent to alt.obituaries there,
although I'm fairly sure there has to be one, given the dwindling
activity hereabouts. Can someone point me in the right direction
please?
Thanks muchly in advance.
My wife is a FB junky, along with anything new. She hears about deaths,
even very famous ones, and mentions them to me weeks, after this group or
the radio reports them. So don't expect timely information from social
media.
m***@gmail.com
I checked out the links to the Facebook group. Looks dead...pun intended.
Steve Hayes
2019-03-14 05:02:44 UTC
Post by p***@gmail.com
Reluctant as I've been to do so, I have recently succumbed to social
media, and have joined several groups on Facebook that align with my
varied interests.
That said, I have found no equivalent to alt.obituaries there,
although I'm fairly sure there has to be one, given the dwindling
activity hereabouts. Can someone point me in the right direction
please?
Be aware that Facebook is an entirely different medium and it is no
substitute for newsgroups.

Facebook's algorithm decides which posts it will show you, and you
have little choice in the matter.

Newsgroups give you choice -- you can look at the list of headers and
decide whiose obits interest you, and download those. Facebook is
likely to show you ones in which you have no interest, and hide those
that you would really like to see, based on other people's interests,
not yours.
--
Steve Hayes
Web: http://hayesgreene.wordpress.com/
Dave Garrett
2019-03-15 01:06:25 UTC
Post by Steve Hayes
Facebook's algorithm decides which posts it will show you, and you
have little choice in the matter.
Newsgroups give you choice -- you can look at the list of headers and
decide whiose obits interest you, and download those. Facebook is
likely to show you ones in which you have no interest, and hide those
that you would really like to see, based on other people's interests,
not yours.
Facebook's execrable algorithm-driven presentation of the news feed is
reason enough to despise it. It's possible to make Facebook somewhat
more usable with the FB Purity browser plugin (a feature list can be
seen at https://www.fbpurity.com/features.htm ).

A measure of FB Purity's success is that it's pissed Facebook off enough
to where they block any attempt to post the URL to FB Purity's homepage
(but not enough to where they block FB Purity from having a Facebook
page, strangely enough).
--
Dave