Something Awful Founder Richard "Lowtax" Kyanka Dies At 45
2021-11-11 14:16:09 UTC
<https://kotaku.com/something-awful-founder-richard-lowtax-kyanka-dies-at-1848037837>

Something Awful Founder Richard "Lowtax" Kyanka Dies At 45
Kyanka created the influential Something Awful website in 1999
ByBrian Ashcraft
Today 5:30AM

Longtime Something Awful forum administrator Fragmaster posted that
site founder Richard "Lowtax" Kyanka has died. "I guess I should
preface this by saying this isn’t a joke especially since I’m posting
for like the first time in 10 years or something, but I got the bad
news today directly from Rich’s family," wrote Fragmaster. "Lowtax has
passed away."

"I didn’t ask for details," Fragmaster continued. "I don’t know
details. I don’t know what the current opinion of Rich here is. Not
here to answer questions, I’m sharing the news. I really hate to share
this news. But there you go."

Considering all the shit that Something Awful has gotten up to over
the years, some have wondered if this were a hoax. "Is this for real?"
wondered one forum member. Some expressed shock at the news, while
others offered their condolences to his children.

Kyanka’s second wife, who posts on SA under the name LadyAmbien, has
confirmed her husband’s death, in a very angry post about his
treatment of her and their children.

In 1999, Kyanka created Something Awful, and today, it’s hard to
understate the site’s influence. It also spawned endless, classic
memes, such as, "All your base are belong to us," and was even the
launching pad for what became 4chan. Our colleagues at Gizmodo listed
it at number 89 in the 100 websites that shaped the internet today,
writing the following:

While Something Awful had its moments as a host for various bits of
comedy, rants, and reviews, SA’s community is its real legacy. From
its forums, Something Awful members gave birth to the legend of
Slenderman, an entire new genre of videos in Let’s Plays, and thanks
to offshoots like the Goonswarm, SA was indirectly responsible for
some of the most massive (and costly) space battles ever witnessed in
video game history. It was also, uh, actually awful.

"The Something Awful forums spawned a great many things in its
multiple decades of existence," said Fragmaster in his YouTube eulogy.
"Some things horrible and unfortunate, many things just unintelligible
and a huge waste of time. But ultimately, Rich created a community
where interesting things happened and people connected."

In October 2020, Kyanka sold the site, writing on Facebook, "I just
signed away the rights to Something Awful, goodbye, good riddance."

That same year, Kyanka was accused of assaulting his second wife in
February 2020, and the specifics, in great detail, played out on the
Something Awful forums. Motherboard reports that Kyanka pleaded guilty
to a charge of disturbing the peace in later that fall, but the
assault charge was dismissed. This wasn’t the only time assault
accusations were leveled against Kyanka: Motherboard also reports that
in June 2020, police were called to a domestic violence dispute
between Kyanka and his then-girlfriend. The police report stated that
no arrest was made "due to conflicting statements and a lack of
witnesses."

"He was a complex man and it’s devastating that there was so much
potential there for a happier life if he tried to heal his demons and
addictions successfully, and it ended like this," LadyAmbien wrote on
SA in another post, adding that "most humans are all not good or all
bad."

Richard Kyanka was 45 years old.
Louis Epstein
2021-11-13 18:00:09 UTC
Post by Terry del Fuego
[...]
I read elsewhere that it was suicide.
It appears the site lived down to its name.
But the reason I selected the link to post a reply was
to ponder the possibility of kinship with the Tennessee
murderer Byron "Low Tax" Looper,who killed his opponent
in an election centered on their county with the same
name as my New York county...this was discussed here in
1998,Looper joined his victim on topic in 2013.
According to the Wikipedes,Kyanka actually took the
name in reference to Looper...something awful indeed!
(and not in the Georgian-era sense).