Semi-OT: COVID-19 and "Doonesbury"
Add Reply
Lenona
2020-09-07 04:17:30 UTC
https://www.gocomics.com/doonesbury/2020/09/06

Slight spoiler:

I hate to say it, but I thought this was one of the best comments (out of 300 or so) way down:

The Wolf In Your Midst about 12 hours ago
"Trump is just a symptom. The true disease is hard-coded in America’s DNA: A knee-jerk, brainless, foaming-at-the-mouth rejection of authority the moment it inconveniences someone. The immediate cry of “YOU can’t tell ME what to do!”, followed by a dogged determination to do the exact opposite. Trump never forced anyone to have “COVID parties”; he never forced anyone to march shoulder-to-shoulder in “super spreader events”.

"It’s the toxic American definition of “freedom”: The “right” to be as stupid as possible, no matter the harm to others."

(end)

Lenona.
Matthew Kruk
2020-09-07 04:33:31 UTC

Says it all.
Scott Brady
2020-09-07 04:37:24 UTC
So THAT'S why we're demolishing every shred of it, by any means necessary! Thanks, I was wondering about that!
Matthew Kruk
2020-09-07 04:42:49 UTC
Post by Matthew Kruk
"It's the toxic American definition of "freedom": The "right" to be as stupid
as possible, no matter the harm to others."
So THAT'S why we're demolishing every shred of it, by any means necessary!
Thanks, I was wondering about that!
---
We really need to rethink things.

W.C. Green
2020-09-07 11:26:23 UTC
Post by Scott Brady
Post by Matthew Kruk
"It's the toxic American definition of "freedom": The "right" to be as stupid
as possible, no matter the harm to others."
So THAT'S why we're demolishing every shred of it, by any means necessary!
Thanks, I was wondering about that!
---
We really need to rethink things.
http://youtu.be/hFwfe4Sjvmw
UD;DC = Unknown Destination; Didn't Click

Once upon a time, we "rethought" things via discussion, not links.
Wendy Chatley Green
Lenona
2020-09-07 14:59:45 UTC
To Wendy:

It IS a discussion, once you click. (Unfortunately, 10 hours ago or so, no one at GoComics had responded to that particular comment.)

GoComics is very mainstream, even if you've never heard of it. (I trust you've heard of "Doonesbury"?)

At any rate, I often find it tiresome to try to rephrase other people's words - it's almost like plagiarism. So, since I wasn't about to copy and paste a few hundred comments, I simply copied that one, since it was more or less the one that most stood out. Besides, I figured the comment (and the stunning last panel in the strip) just MIGHT start a discussion, here.

Btw, since I remember you from the other newsgroup, you may want to check me out at the Booksleuth forum - I just posted a YouTube link to a short, rare book that is a cult favorite of sorts.

Lenona.
Lenona
2020-09-07 15:31:30 UTC
Oops - just realized you were likely responding to Matthew, not me. Sorry.

If you're curious, the YouTube link is to the 1968 song "Give a Damn" (for your fellow man) by Spanky and the Gang (no, not the Little Rascals).

I had never heard of it or the pop group, but it's a lovely, low-key song.

2020-09-07 23:03:51 UTC
Post by Lenona
Oops - just realized you were likely responding to Matthew, not me. Sorry.
If you're curious, the YouTube link is to the 1968 song "Give a Damn" (for
your fellow man) by Spanky and the Gang (no, not the Little Rascals).
I had never heard of it or the pop group, but it's a lovely, low-key song.
Well, that's depressing. I'm so old.

It's Spanky and Our Gang because Spanky's last name was McFarlane (the
Our Gang kid was named McFarland). "Give a Damn" was part of a
government p.r. campaign to get people to care about the less
advantaged.

Merv Griffin did his Metromedia talk show live from a street in Harlem
one night for this campaign. Big crowd. His special guests were
Muhammad Ali and Joe Frazier. They were asked by a kid how he could
become world champ, too. Frazier said train, start small, train some
more, believe in yourself. Ali said screw that, be a doctor or a
lawyer or something better than a fighter.

Oh, yeah, Spanky and Our Gang were there, too. (You might get hiold of
their Greatest Hits album. I think you'll like it.)

BTW one or the other of the Superman comic book titles at the time
featured a "Give a Damn" sign in the background of a splash panel of
Supes flying over Metropolis, and readers wrote in to decry the vulgar
language.
Lenona.
Lenona
2020-09-07 17:40:24 UTC
And, from jeffiekins, about 3 hours ago:

"...There’s a fellow in Boston (IIRC, IT director of a major hospital) who came up with a very clever way to find out when things started “picking up” in Wuhan. LAST MAY (2019). How’d he do it? He used the Google Earth archive of photos of hospital parking lots. Activity took a noticeable uptick last May, 7 months before anyone said anything about it that we heard."