Priscilla Galloway, 88, in Oct. 2018 (Canadian educator/writer: "Truly Grim Tales," 1995)
2019-05-02 16:11:41 UTC
She died in Midland, Ontario.

https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/theglobeandmail/obituary.aspx?n=priscilla-galloway&pid=190644652&fhid=17687
(short death notice)

https://transatlanticagency.com/2018/11/in-memoriam-of-priscilla-galloway/
(another, slightly longer)

Most of it:

"...Priscilla earned a B.A. in English from Queen’s University, as well as a M.A. and a Ph.D. from the University of Toronto in English and Educational Theory respectively. As a part-time author Priscilla published several books, taught in high-schools and universities, and worked as a language arts consultant with children of all ages. Priscilla became a full-time author in 1993, fulfilling a lifelong dream of being a professional writer.

"Priscilla has written 25 acclaimed books, winning numerous awards including the international Bologna Ragazzi award in 2000 for Too Young to Fight: Memories from our Youth During World War II, the first Canadian book to win this award. Priscilla’s non-fiction writing benefitted from her breadth of knowledge; her fictional characters were richly human and emanated Priscilla’s personal strength and conviction..."

From the "Something About the Author" encyclopedias:

"I began writing poetry almost as soon as I could form words on a page...My father had literary ambitions for me. When I came home at age fourteen thrilled with my first summer job offer as half-time clerk in a shoe store, Dad was indignant at this proposed waste of my time. He matched the shoe store's offer of seven dollars per week, paying me to spend the same amount of time at home, writing."

About "Truly Grim Tales":

"Based on the well-known fairy tales of the Brothers Grimm, Charles Perrault, and Hans Christian Andersen, these retellings will intrigue and disturb readers. From a futuristic 'Little Red Riding Hood' in which giant clams and carnivorous beasts stalk humans, to the real reason why the giant in 'Jack and the Beanstalk' needs to eat human bones, to a version of 'Snow White' told from the wicked stepmother's point of view, fans of fairy and folk tales will find much to interest them."

Some of her other books are about classical mythical characters.

One book I own is "Archers, Alchemists: and 98 Other Medieval Jobs You Might Have Loved or Loathed." It's fun. One thing she pointed out, early in the book, was that, in those days, you often didn't really get to choose your job, because the idea of human beings as having individual rights was unheard of. (For one thing, if you were a boy, you often had to do whatever your father did and you wouldn't have much chance to do anything else for a living.)

https://www.encyclopedia.com/arts/educational-magazines/galloway-priscilla-1930-anne-peebles
(includes booklist, awards, and long article on her work)

Excerpt:

"...Galloway has written books for audiences of all ages, but is widely recognized for her young adult and children's books. Galloway's works tackle a variety of topics from working moms and step-families, to ancient Greek heroes and medieval merchants. Galloway's earliest children's book, titled Good Times, Bad Times, Mummy, and Me, is about a young girl who lives with her single, working mother. Jennifer Has Two Daddies is about a young girl adjusting to changes in her family that include having two fathers—her biological father and her new stepfather..."

https://www.google.com/search?q=priscilla+galloway+books&tbm=isch&source=lnms&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj58uLpnP3hAhXrnuAKHeDIB6IQ_AUICygC&biw=1284&bih=858&dpr=1
(book covers)

http://worldcat.org/identities/lccn-n86862145/
(synopses)

https://www.kirkusreviews.com/author/priscilla-galloway/
(four Kirkus reviews)

https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/27524.Priscilla_Galloway
(reader reviews)

http://www.annickpress.com/author/Priscilla_Galloway
(profile)

Excerpt:

"...Born in Montreal in 1930, Priscilla has lived, written, taught and scuba-dived from Pacific to Atlantic, from southern farming country to northern mines, from the Caribbean to New Zealand. The family cottage, for many years her part-time residence, is now home for Priscilla and her husband Howard Collum. They look across Georgian Bay to the Blue Mountains, and shop in Midland or Penetanguishene.

"Priscilla has been a full-time author since 1993. Published in Canada and the US, her books have been translated into French, Spanish, Italian and German. Too Young to Fight: Memories from our Youth During World War II won the international Bologna Ragazzi award in 2000, the first Canadian book to do so. Other awards and honors among Priscilla’s twenty-five titles include the Geoffrey Bilson Award for historical Canadian non-fiction, and the Canadian Library Association, Mr. Christie’s, Red Cedar, and Manitoba Young Readers awards. Her books have appeared on bestseller lists in national Canadian newspapers, and on prestigious lists such as the American Library Association’s Best Books for Young Adults and Quick Picks for Young Adults, and Quill and Quire’s Best Books of the Year. Many have been starred selections in the annual Canadian Children’s Book Centre’s Best Books for Kids and Teens (formerly Our Choice) catalog..."

(short video from 2014 - she reads aloud from "Truly Grim Tales")

2019-05-03 13:38:49 UTC
Post by l***@yahoo.com
One book I own is "Archers, Alchemists: and 98 Other Medieval Jobs You Might Have Loved or Loathed." It's fun. One thing she pointed out, early in the book, was that, in those days, you often didn't really get to choose your job, because the idea of human beings as having individual rights was unheard of. (For one thing, if you were a boy, you often had to do whatever your father did and you wouldn't have much chance to do anything else for a living.)
OK, so I didn't remember it that well. Here's where you can read the page I was thinking of:

https://www.amazon.com/Archers-Alchemists-Medieval-Loathed-History/dp/1550378104

Skip to page 9.