Marty Balin, 76, founder of Jefferson Airplane and solo artist
Add Reply
b***@gmail.com
2018-09-29 01:27:24 UTC
https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/music/2018/09/28/jefferson-airplane-founder-marty-balin-dies-76/1460845002/
Michael OConnor
2018-09-29 03:58:52 UTC
Balin received the most famous punch in rock music history at Altamont, courtesy of one anonymous Hells Angel, and things started to break down at about the 3:30 mark in the song:

RHDraney
2018-09-29 04:16:18 UTC
I would have thought the most famous punch in rock music history was the
one visited upon Elvis Costello by Bonnie Bramlett....r
d***@agent.com
2018-09-29 05:51:15 UTC
Post by b***@gmail.com
https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/music/2018/09/28/jefferson-airplane-founder-marty-balin-dies-76/1460845002/
Marty Balin, founder of the Jefferson Airplane, dies at 76
Associated Press, Sept. 28, 2018

NEW YORK (AP) — Marty Balin, a patron of the 1960s "San Francisco
Sound" both as founder and lead singer of the Jefferson Airplane and
co-owner of the club where the Airplane and other Bay Area bands
performed, has died. He was 76.

Balin died Thursday in Tampa, Florida, on the way to the hospital,
spokesman Ryan Romenesko said. The cause of death was not immediately
available.

The dark-eyed, baby-faced Balin was an ex-folk musician who formed the
Airplane in 1965 and within two years was at the heart of a nationwide
wave that briefly rivaled the Beatles' influence and even helped
inspire the Beatles' "Sgt. Pepper" album. The Airplane was the
breakout act among such San Francisco-based artists as the Grateful
Dead and Janis Joplin, many of whom played early shows at the Matrix,
a ballroom Balin helped run and for which the Airplane served as house
band.

The San Francisco Sound was a psychedelic blend of blues, folk, rock
and jazz, and the musical expression of the emerging hippie lifestyle.
Balin himself was known for his yearning tenor on the ballads "Today"
and "It's No Secret," and on the political anthem "Volunteers." In the
mid-1970s, when the Airplane regrouped as the more mainstream
Jefferson Starship, Balin sang lead on such hits as "Miracles" (which
he co-wrote), "With Your Love" and "Count On Me." He later had solo
success with "Hearts" and "Atlanta Lady."

The Airplane was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1996,
but Balin would long have mixed feelings. Pride in the band's
achievements was shadowed by its eventual breakup and by Balin's
acknowledged jealousy of Grace Slick, the other lead vocalist. Slick
joined the group in the fall of 1966, soon before the Airplane
recorded its landmark second album, "Surrealistic Pillow." One of
rock's most charismatic singers and performers, she displaced Balin as
the perceived leader, on stage and on the Airplane's best known songs,
"Somebody to Love" and "White Rabbit."

"Every time I did something, it was always Grace Slick and the
Airplane and Grace Slick and the Starship," he told Relix magazine in
1993. "Even if it was my voice. I've even done songs of mine on my own
and people come up to me and say, 'I'm surprised you do that song. I
always thought it was Grace's.' For a while that hurt my feelings, but
there's nothing I can do about it."

Balin was married twice, most recently to Susan Joy Finkelstein, and
had three children.

He had been in show business well before the Airplane. Born Martin
Jerel Buchwald in Cincinnati, he ended up in the Bay Area as his
father, a Jewish immigrant from Eastern Europe, struggled to find
work. Marty was a brooding, artistic child who dropped out of San
Francisco State University to pursue a career in music. He recorded a
few singles with some of Phil Spector's session musicians in the early
'60s before joining the folk group the Town Criers. He also changed
his last name to Balin.

Like many of his peers, Balin switched to electronic music after
seeing the Beatles' 1964 movie "A Hard Day's Night." Through the local
club scene, he brought in songwriter-guitarist-vocalist Paul Kantner,
singer Signe Anderson (whom Slick replaced), guitarist Jorma Kaukonen,
bassist Jack Cassidy and drummer Skip Spence, a novice given the job
by Balin because he supposedly looked like a rock star. (Spence would
leave after the first album and was replaced by Spencer Dryden). The
name Jefferson Airplane, suggested by Kaukonen, was based in part on
bluesman Blind Lemon Jefferson.

Meanwhile, Balin and a handful of business partners converted a
Fillmore Street pizza place into the Matrix, which opened in August
1965. A year later, the group signed with RCA Records and released the
folk-rock album "The Jefferson Airplane Takes Off," for which Balin
wrote or co-wrote eight songs. The Airplane, attuned early on to the
counterculture, turned out buttons and bumper stickers reading THE
JEFFERSON AIRPLANE LOVES YOU.

"I remember it was really pretty and beautiful for a year or two,"
Balin told Relix magazine in 1993. "And then Time magazine came out
and they were interviewing me. I told the guy, 'It's great that you're
publicizing this beautiful-feeling scene out here,'" and he looked me
right in the eye and said, 'Fastest way to kill it.'"

Starting with "Surrealistic Pillow," a soundtrack for many during the
so-called Summer of Love of 1967, the group's music became more
experimental. By such albums as "Blows Against the Empire" and "After
Bathing at Baxter's," Kantner was the principal songwriter (and
eventually Slick's boyfriend) and Balin found himself out of place
with his own band and with the rock scene overall. He shunned hard
drugs and preferred tight pop songs to long jams. The classic film
"Gimme Shelter," centered on the ill-fated Altamont concert from 1969,
showed Balin getting knocked out on stage by the Hell's Angels. By the
early '70s, he had left the Airplane.

'It was a period of cocaine then — everybody took cocaine. And people
I would work with, they would yell at you and it got intense. The
Airplane was on that kind of trip," he told songwritersuniverse.com in
2018.

In recent years, he released such albums as "The Greatest Love" and
"Good Memories," a retrospective of his Airplane/Starship songs. He
also reunited on occasion with old bandmates, whether appearing in
concert with Casady and Kaukoken and their group Hot Tuna, or bringing
Signe Anderson on stage to perform the Airplane's first single, "It's
No Secret." And he liked returning to his folk roots, doing club
performances as part of an acoustic trio.

"The whole night is me — and if you dig it, cool," he told Relix in
2016. "And I'm having fun. I move wherever I want, from one song I
want to another. There aren't any egos and (we are free from) people's
problems — waiting for somebody to light a cigarette, have a drink or
change guitars and organize their music. Let's get to the music, man.
That's what I'm doing — just flying along."
Terry del Fuego
2018-09-29 15:54:42 UTC
Post by d***@agent.com
Starting with "Surrealistic Pillow," a soundtrack for many during the
so-called Summer of Love of 1967, the group's music became more
experimental. By such albums as "Blows Against the Empire" and "After
Bathing at Baxter's,"
"Blows Against the Empire" is not an Airplane album and has nothing to
do with Balin. Also, despite the way it's worded, "After Bathing at
Baxter's" is only the third Airplane album (second with Slick) and
came three years *before* "Blows".

Balin was certainly right to hint that he didn't get the credit he
deserved, though to my taste he was not just responsible for some of
the Airplane's/Startship's best work but also their worst. The charts
wouldn't hesitate to argue with my opinion, though.
Bermuda999
There was no co-writer of "Miracles". Music and lyrics were solely by Balin.
Terry del Fuego
2018-09-29 20:13:15 UTC
On Sat, 29 Sep 2018 09:05:08 -0700 (PDT), Bermuda999
Post by Bermuda999
There was no co-writer of "Miracles". Music and lyrics were solely by Balin.
Part of me wants to cut the original author a break because the
history is ancient enough at this point that it's akin to contemporary
fans of Jefferson Airplane/Starship writing about Big Band acts. The
part of me that only took about five seconds to find an image of an
original 1975 single showing exactly what you say is considerably less
forgiving.

Songwriting credits *can* "drift" over time, though BMI still gives
Balin (as "BUCHWALD MARTYN J") sole credit for "Miracles".
Congoleum Breckenridge
2018-09-29 21:48:20 UTC
Post by b***@gmail.com
https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/music/2018/09/28/jefferson-airplane-founder-marty-balin-dies-76/1460845002/
More depressing, Ms. White Rabbit is 78.