Semi-OT: on how to use 911
2021-12-04 19:36:18 UTC
Found this and thought it was kind of important.
"What is a basic skill that you grew up thinking everyone had until you saw others do it so horribly?"
(There are more than 24,000 responses.)
https://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/r3pd7i/what_is_a_basic_skill_that_you_grew_up_thinking/
Webbie-Vanderquack
6 days ago
"One of the things I wish children were taught in school is how and when to call emergency services and what happens when you do.
"I remember being taught what number to call in an emergency, and when not to call (i.e. 'don't call unless it's really an emergency'), but that just made it seem like we should do everything possible to avoid calling.
"As a kid, I didn't know that the first thing I'd be asked was 'police or ambulance?'. I didn't know that I had to be able to clearly give my address and a brief explanation of the problem. I didn't know that no matter how serious the emergency, the person I spoke to would sound bored. I didn't even know that I'd be transferred to someone else.
"The whole process is a total mystery until you have to do it for the first time."
(That one is kind of far down the thread, but there were still more than 50 responses to it.)
There are also some nice stories about people who were never taught about
hygiene, but who were set straight, in a kind, respectful way, by outsiders such
as employers.
Hmm...when I last called 911 (my tractor caught fire in October)
the first question I was asked was "what's the location of your emergency?"
I only spoke to one person as I described the location of the field I had
been mowing and what had happened.The local fire department convened a
crew and came and extinguished the fire,and a police car parked by the road
to check out the process.

Lenona
2021-12-04 20:02:00 UTC
And another story:

TrailMomKat
6 days ago
If it makes you feel any better, I once had a roommate mix bleach and an ammonia-based cleaner. They didn't know any better, in their defense, and I happened to be walking past the bathroom when I saw them do it and just yelled NOOOO! before grabbing the bucket, opening the back door, and tossing it out. Then I threw all the front side windows opened and started yelling at the dude, but I calmed down because he'd clearly had no idea what he'd done wrong.

Lol I remember telling him "oh my God, call your momma and tell her what you just done did! Do it! I wanna hear her slap you through the phone! Holy shit dude, NEVER EVER MIX CLEANING PRODUCTS!"

Again, in his defense, he thought "hey, this one cleans... And this one cleans. Double the cleaning power!" But holy shit, he scared the fucking bejeezus out of me that day.
Terry del Fuego
2021-12-04 20:31:35 UTC
Post by Lenona
I once had a roommate mix bleach and an ammonia-based cleaner
Reminds me of science fiction story I read decades ago where someone
attempted to murder a person who had no sense of smell by putting one
of those in the toilet tank and the other in the bowl. Though when I
think about it now, I wonder if that would really work.
A Friend
2021-12-04 21:20:35 UTC
Post by Terry del Fuego
Post by Lenona
I once had a roommate mix bleach and an ammonia-based cleaner
Reminds me of science fiction story I read decades ago where someone
attempted to murder a person who had no sense of smell by putting one
of those in the toilet tank and the other in the bowl. Though when I
think about it now, I wonder if that would really work.
Spider Robinson wrote that, but I can't remember the name of the story.
In the short story, it seemed to work; when Robinson expanded the story
into a novel, we find out that it didn't.
Terry del Fuego
2021-12-05 13:55:26 UTC
Post by A Friend
Spider Robinson wrote that, but I can't remember the name of the story.
In the short story, it seemed to work; when Robinson expanded the story
into a novel, we find out that it didn't.
It didn't work as the intended victim anticipated the attempt and only
fooled the would-be killer into believing the plan had succeeded. I
still wonder if it would be real-world possible. (Just to be clear: No
plans, just morbid curiosity.)

How long ago was that published in "Analog"? 1970s? 1980s? I'm both
stunned and delighted that someone else remembers it! And more than a
little bummed that retirement hasn't made me literate enough to catch
up on my backlog of that magazine. I'm currently only on the May/June
2018 issue, but catching up was Goal Number One six years ago. Oops.