LIST: Living members of the Baseball Hall of Fame
2018-11-01 23:23:04 UTC
This list has been updated to reflect the death of Willie McCovey,
formerly at position #17.

There are currently 75 living members of the Hall of Fame. This includes
67 players, five managers, and three executives. (Most managers were
former players and many players later become managers, but they are
usually voted into the Hall as one or the other, as their career merits).

Of the 67 players, 63 were voted in by the baseball writers association,
which has the primary responsibility for selecting which players will be
in the Hall of Fame. Players who are no longer under consideration by the
baseball writers can be voted in by the veterans committee - known since
2011 as the "historical overview committee." (It is generally considered
more prestigious to be inducted by the baseball writers, rather than
through the veterans committee's "back door.")

The veterans committee/historical overview committee is also responsible
for inducting non-players, including managers, executives, and umpires.

The list below gives each living Hall member, in order of date of birth.
It also indicates how each member was inducted. The absence of a
designation means "player inducted by the baseball writers."

David Carson

------------------------------
Living members of the Baseball Hall of Fame

1. Tommy Lasorda, b. 9/22/1927 (manager, veterans committee)
2. Whitey Ford, b. 10/21/1928
3. Willie Mays, b. 5/6/1931
4. Whitey Herzog, b. 11/9/1931 (manager, veterans committee)
5. Hank Aaron, b. 2/5/1934
6. Luis Aparicio, b. 4/29/1934
7. Bud Selig, b. 7/30/1934 (executive, historical overview committee)
8. Al Kaline, b. 12/19/1934
9. Frank Robinson, b. 8/31/1935
10. Bob Gibson, b. 11/9/1935
11. Sandy Koufax, b. 12/30/1935
12. Bill Mazeroski, b. 9/5/1936 (veterans committee)
13. Brooks Robinson, b. 5/18/1937
14. Pat Gillick, b. 8/22/1937 (executive, historical overview committee)
15. Orlando Cepeda, b. 9/17/1937 (veterans committee)
16. Juan Marichal, b. 10/20/1937
17. Billy Williams, b. 6/15/1938
18. Gaylor Perry, b. 9/15/1938
19. Phil Niekro, b. 4/1/1939
20. Lou Brock, b. 6/18/1939
21. Carl Yastrzemski, b. 8/22/1939
22. Joe Torre, b. 7/18/1940 (manager, historical overview committee)
23. John Schuerholz, b. 10/1/1940 (executive, HOC)
24. Bobby Cox, b. 5/21/1941 (manager, historical overview committee)
25. Tony Perez, b. 5/14/1942
26. Joe Morgan, b. 09/19/1943
27. Ferguson Jenkins, b. 12/13/1943
28. Tony La Russa, b. 10/4/1944 (manager, historical overview committee)
29. Tom Seaver, b. 11/17/1944
30. Steve Carlton, b. 12/22/1944
31. Don Sutton, b. 4/2/1945
32. Rod Carew, b. 10/1/1945
33. Jim Palmer, b. 10/15/1945
34. Reggie Jackson, b. 5/18/1946
35. Rollie Fingers, b. 08/25/1946
36. Nolan Ryan, b. 1/31/1947
37. Johnny Bench, b. 12/7/1947
38. Carlton Fisk, b. 12/26/1947
39. Mike Schmidt, b. 9/27/1949
40. Bert Blyleven, b. 4/6/1951
41. Goose Gossage, b. 7/5/1951
42. Dave Winfield, b. 10/3/1951
43. Bruce Sutter, b. 1/8/1953
44. Jim Rice, b. 3/8/1953
45. George Brett, b. 5/15/1953
46. Andre Dawson, b. 7/10/1954
47. Dennis Eckersley, b. 10/3/1954
48. Ozzie Smith, b. 12/26/1954
49. Jack Morris, b. 5/16/1955 (HOC)
50. Robin Yount, b. 9/16/1955
51. Eddie, Murray, b. 2/24/1956
52. Paul Molitor, b. 8/22/1956
53. Alan Trammell, b. 2/21/1958 (HOC)
54. Wade Boggs, b. 6/15/1958
55 Rickey Henderson, b. 12/25/1958
56. Tim Raines, b. 9/16/1959
57. Ryne Sandberg, b. 9/18/1959
58. Cal Ripken Jr., b. 8/24/1960
59. Randy Johnson, b. 9/10/1963
60. Barry Larkin, b. 4/28/1964
61. Craig Biggio, b. 12/14/1965
62. Tom Glavine, b. 3/25/1966
63. Greg Maddux, b. 4/14/1966
64. John Smlotz, b. 5/15/1967
65. Trevor Horrman, b. 10/13/1967
66. Roberto Alomar, b. 2/5/1968
67. Frank Thomas, b. 5/27/1968
68. Jeff Bagwell, b. 5/27/1968
69. Mike Piazza, b. 9/4/1969
70. Ken Griffey Jr., b. 11/21/1969
71. Jim Thome, b. 8/27/1970
72. Pedro Martinez, b. 10/25/1971
73. Ivan Rodriguez, b. 11/27/1971
74. Chipper Jones, b. 4/24/1972
75. Vladimir Guerrero, b. 2/9/1975
------------------------------

Living Members of the Baseball Hall of Fame
http://www.doadb.com/bbhof.htm

"Death is a part of baseball."
"Oh, yeah ... It's the main part."
- heard on The Simpsons
Michael OConnor
2018-11-01 23:26:31 UTC
I know I'm getting old (I'm 54) when the only player on the list I actually didn't see play was Whitey Ford.
jdunlop
2018-11-02 16:11:52 UTC
Post by Michael OConnor
I know I'm getting old (I'm 54) when the only player on the list I actually didn't see play was Whitey Ford.
Koufax retired in 1966, a year earlier than Ford, when you were two.

Koufax was inducted in 1972 IIRC, so he's been a HoFer for 46 years. I don't have the information in front of me, but I think the record for longest time as a living HoFer was by Bob Feller. Koufax is coming close if he hasn't passed him yet. (Ford's not far behind.)

(You had to mention this, since now I realize I have watched everybody on this list, including specifically Koufax in the '65 WS, being four years older than you. Growing up in the NYC area, I was well aware of Ford in his last couple of years.)
Michael OConnor
I did miss Koufax. I stand corrected.
jdunlop
2018-11-02 20:41:08 UTC
Post by Michael OConnor
Post by jdunlop
Post by Michael OConnor
I know I'm getting old (I'm 54) when the only player on the list I actually didn't see play was Whitey Ford.
Koufax retired in 1966, a year earlier than Ford, when you were two.
Koufax was inducted in 1972 IIRC, so he's been a HoFer for 46 years. I don't have the information in front of me, but I think the record for longest time as a living HoFer was by Bob Feller. Koufax is coming close if he hasn't passed him yet. (Ford's not far behind.)
(You had to mention this, since now I realize I have watched everybody on this list, including specifically Koufax in the '65 WS, being four years older than you. Growing up in the NYC area, I was well aware of Ford in his last couple of years.)
I did miss Koufax. I stand corrected.
Ah, the errors of youth. :-)

To follow up on my comment, Bob Feller was a living HoF member for 48 years, 1962-2010. So Sandy has two more years before catching him (rounding to full years, somebody probably has the exact number of days.). Whitey was inducted in 1974, so two years behind. Willie Mays is the only other living member inducted in the ‘70s.
Louis Epstein
2018-11-02 20:39:57 UTC
Post by jdunlop
Post by Michael OConnor
I know I'm getting old (I'm 54) when the only player on the list I actually didn't see play was Whitey Ford.
Koufax retired in 1966, a year earlier than Ford, when you were two.
Koufax was inducted in 1972 IIRC, so he's been a HoFer for 46 years. I don't have the information in front of me, but I think the record for longest time as a living HoFer was by Bob Feller. Koufax is coming close if he hasn't passed him yet. (Ford's not far behind.)
(You had to mention this, since now I realize I have watched everybody
on this list, including specifically Koufax in the '65 WS, being four
years older than you. Growing up in the NYC area, I was well aware of
Ford in his last couple of years.)
I'm 57 but only started paying attention to baseball after Koufax & Ford
had retired.I remember reading about Mickey Mantle's last season in
the papers,and the Miracle Mets,but not previous baseball events.

RHDraney
2018-11-02 04:24:10 UTC
Post by David Carson
This list has been updated to reflect the death of Willie McCovey,
formerly at position #17.
There are currently 75 living members of the Hall of Fame. This includes
67 players, five managers, and three executives. (Most managers were
former players and many players later become managers, but they are
usually voted into the Hall as one or the other, as their career merits).
Still waiting to see Pete Rose added to this list....r