Princess Bride author William Goldman - RIP
D.D.Degg
2018-11-16 17:01:03 UTC
William Goldman, the famed screenwriter of some of Hollywood’s most iconic films, has died at the age of 87. Among his most recognizable credits, Goldman wrote Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, All the President’s Men, and The Princess Bride, among many others. Goldman began his career as a novelist and transitioned to screenwriting in 1965 at the age of 34.
https://www.thedailybeast.com/william-goldman-all-the-presidents-men-and-princess-bride-screenwriter-dies-at-age-87?ref=home
That Derek
2018-11-16 17:04:10 UTC
"Prepare to die."
D.D.Degg
2018-11-16 17:16:16 UTC
"Prepare to die."
"As you wish."
Michael OConnor
2018-11-16 18:29:20 UTC
Post by D.D.Degg
Post by That Derek
"Prepare to die."
"As you wish."
"I do not think it means what you think it means."
D.D.Degg
2018-11-17 00:44:48 UTC
"You seem a decent fellow. I hate to kill you."
Michael OConnor
"Have fun storming the castle."
D.D.Degg
"You mock my pain."
Michael OConnor
"You seem a decent fellow, I hate to die."
Aje RavenStar
Quit saying that!
Adam H. Kerman
2018-11-17 17:50:18 UTC
William Goldman, the famed screenwriter of some of Hollywood’s most
iconic films, has died at the age of 87. Among his most recognizable
credits, Goldman wrote Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, All the
President’s Men, and The Princess Bride, among many others. Goldman
began his career as a novelist and transitioned to screenwriting in 1965
at the age of 34.
https://www.thedailybeast.com/william-goldman-all-the-presidents-men-and-princess-bride-screenwriter-dies-at-age-87?ref=home
Here's a famous quote, not from The Princess Bride:

What's the matter with you?

I can't swim!

Are you crazy? The fall will probably kill ya.
Michael OConnor
2018-11-17 18:20:35 UTC
And from "All the Presidents Men":

"Follow the money."

And several of the stories I read about Goldman didn't even point out that he wrote both the novel and screenplay "Marathon Man", which was a very good film (I never read the book) and Olivier (in his last truly great performance) was downright diabolical as the Nazi who was into dental torture.
Bermuda999
2018-11-17 18:45:10 UTC
Post by Michael OConnor
"Follow the money."
And several of the stories I read about Goldman didn't even point out that he wrote both the novel and screenplay "Marathon Man", which was a very good film (I never read the book) and Olivier (in his last truly great performance) was downright diabolical as the Nazi who was into dental torture.
Which included three of the most chilling words ever filmed:

"Is it safe?"
J.D. Baldwin
2018-11-18 00:35:46 UTC
Post by Michael OConnor
And several of the stories I read about Goldman didn't even point
out that he wrote both the novel and screenplay "Marathon Man",
which was a very good film (I never read the book) and Olivier (in
his last truly great performance) was downright diabolical as the
Nazi who was into dental torture.
The book was really outstanding. As with The Princess Bride, it is a
very very good film, but it is not on that short list of films that
are "better than the book."
2018-11-18 04:22:40 UTC
I saw "Princess Bride" on its initial release and marveled at what a great chemistry the trio comprised of three incredibly disparate actors - Mandy Patinkin, Wallace Shawn, and Andre the Giant - made. To me, they were the best part of the film. Somebody should have made a spin-off in which they were the central characters.

Otherwise, there was another similarly disparate team of actors which I thought were quite humourous: Buck Henry, Fred Ward, and singer Huey Lewis on their fishing trip segment in Robert Altman's "Short Cuts" (1993).