Katy Collins, 32, ex-MMA fighter -- brain aneurysm
Add Reply
Bryan Styble
2019-10-02 12:53:23 UTC
Uh...shouldn't there be some examination or at least discussion of whether this late woman's presumably-hard-on-the-head-even-when-wearing-cranial-protection line of professional endeavor was a factor?

I realize some especially unfortunate folks suffer such tissue failure even in their youth, but heck, if NFL play is being compromised by the League's (over-?) reaction to the concussion issue, it seems to me not irresponsible (or even insensitive) to raise the question.

I mean, Davey Moore* probably figured he'd at least live to be 30, doncha think?

* The first of two 20th Century boxers to fight professionally under that name, this one--like Cassius Clay!--a black guy from Kentucky, and the felled fellow memorialized in a certain well-known protest song**.
** The correct answer to the titular and lyrical question*** posed by that guy with the funny nose, the funnier hair and the funniest voice happens to be--if you've ever wondered after hearing the ponderous, serpentine and troubling tune, given that its singer/songwriter so characteristically never answers his own question: Sugar Ramos (if only inadvertently), in a Thursday night, March 21, 1962**** featherweight bout in a boxing ring set up on Dodger Stadium's infield.
*** "Who Killed Davey Moore?"
**** Moore actually completed the 11th round TKO still standing and alert, and was even briefly interviewed during the post-bout coverage of the nationally televised match-up, but then collapsed in his dressing room, went comatose and expired--from brain stem injury, as it turned out--in the early overnight hours of Monday, March 25th.
Alfalfa Bill
Alfalfa Bill
Excuse the premature posting (really, dear, that is the first time it has ever happened.) The NFL concussion protocol is not an overreaction. Brain damage is nothing to minimize.
Michael OConnor
2019-10-02 15:00:00 UTC
Post by Bryan Styble
I realize some especially unfortunate folks suffer such tissue failure even in their youth, but heck, if NFL play is being compromised by the League's (over-?) reaction to the concussion issue, it seems to me not irresponsible (or even insensitive) to raise the question.
It's not an over-reaction. I suggest you at least seek out the 2015 Will Smith movie "Concussion", where Smith portrays Dr Bennet Omalu, the Pittsburgh pathologist who started studying the brains of the deceased NFL players and found signs of severe brain damage and took on the NFL. Hundreds of deceased NFL players have donated their brains to the effort to help research concussions in pro football, and many more have already willed their brains to the effort upon their deaths.

The opening sequence of the movie, which featured Hall of Fame Steeler center Mike Webster, who was living in an SUV and shocking himself in his leg with a taser to temporarily alleviate the pain from his brain damage, was tear-jerking. It is believed Webster might have possibly sustained thousands of concussions during his football career due to helmet-to-helmet contact.
Bryan Styble
2019-10-02 17:40:16 UTC
Yikes!

I just got a chance to review my posting of a few hours ago, and I'm aghast I had placed the fateful Moore/Ramos bout in 1962; it was actually Thursday, March 21, 1963 at Dodger Stadium.

I regret my knuckleheaded proofreading.

STYBLE/Florida
Alfalfa Bill
2019-10-03 02:02:46 UTC
Post by Bryan Styble
Yikes!
I just got a chance to review my posting of a few hours ago, and I'm aghast I had placed the fateful Moore/Ramos bout in 1962; it was actually Thursday, March 21, 1963 at Dodger Stadium.
I regret my knuckleheaded proofreading.
I doubt that anyone cares much about the date. It is the brain damage thing.