Eddie Foy III, 83, casting director
2018-11-04 22:51:02 UTC
Several Facebook sources - including former "Donna Reed Show" co-star Paul Petersen - are reporting the death of Eddie Foy III, longtime casting director, producer, and member of an illustrious show business family.

Probably most famous for discovering the future Oscar winner Sally Field and casting her as "Gidget."

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0289375/

http://www.donnareed.org/html/templates/dr_profile.php?drf_person=foy
Eddie Foy III
Mr. Foy has been a casting director for 42 years with Columbia Pictures/Screen Gems, 20th Century Fox, the Disney Channel and Dick Clark Productions. He was Director of Casting for ABC and Vice President of Casting for NBC. His Credits include The Donna Reed Show, I Dream of Jeannie, The Poesidean Adventure, Mork and Mindy, The Monkees, Happy Days, Roots I and II, Shogun, Barney Miller, Happy Days, The Emmy Awards, and has been the Talent Producer for The Jerry Lewis MDA Labor Day Telethon the past 35 years. He is currently the expert "on air" Casting Executive for the hit biographical series 90 Days in Hollywood. His most recent honor was his unanimous selection by the Academy of Television Arts and Science, Archives Division, as Outstanding Casting Director of the last 42 years for his contributions to the Advancement of Television Casting.

"Bring Me A Star I Don't Know" - Eddie Foy III
Eddie Foy III, after the Academy of Television Arts and Sciences named him the most influential casting director in the history of television, talks about his career as a casting director.

https://interviews.televisionacademy.com/interviews/eddie-foy-iii
Eddie Foy III on casting Barbara Eden in I Dream of Jeannie

In his five-hour Archive interview, Eddie Foy III reminisces about his unique celebrity-filled childhood and his early years in the entertainment industry as an actor. He speaks in-depth about his experiences on many classic television programs and telefilms including: The Donna Reed Show, Gidget, I Dream of Jeannie, The Monkees, That Girl, My World and Welcome to It, M*A*S*H, Mork & Mindy, Soap, Cheers, Love Boat, Barney Miller, Breaking Up is Hard to Do, and the Jerry Lewis MDA Telethons. He also imparts his advice to aspiring casting directors ("find a person to study with") as well as to actors ("respect your talent"). Henry Colman conducted the interview on October 30, 2003 in Corona, CA.
Louis Epstein
2018-11-05 16:53:10 UTC
Post by Diner
Several Facebook sources - including former "Donna Reed Show" co-star Paul Petersen - are reporting the death of Eddie Foy III, longtime casting director, producer, and member of an illustrious show business family.
I gather his father was one of the Seven Little Foys...
does that make him a Really Tiny Foy?

2018-11-09 04:57:56 UTC
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/eddie-foy-iii-dead-casting-director-gidget-i-dream-jeannie-was-83-1159204

Eddie Foy III, Veteran Television Casting Director, Dies at 83

1:35 PM PST 11/7/2018
by Mike Barnes

The son and grandson of actors, he was instrumental to the success of such series as 'Gidget,' 'I Dream of Jeannie' and 'That Girl.'

Eddie Foy III, a veteran casting director for television who helped bring Barbara Eden to I Dream of Jeannie and Sally Field to Gidget, has died. He was 83.

Foy died Saturday at his home in Denison, Iowa, of injuries sustained in a fall, publicist Michael Saltzman announced.

Foy's father was actor Eddie Foy Jr., and his grandfather was Eddie Foy Sr. of the famed vaudeville act The Seven Little Foys. (His dad portrayed his granddad in the 1942 James Cagney classic Yankee Doodle Dandy.)

Foy spent more than four decades in casting, starting out at Screen Gems and 20th Century Fox. He was named director of casting at ABC in 1976 and then served as a vice president at NBC.

He later worked for Dick Clark Productions and was a long-standing independent casting director and talent executive for the Jerry Lewis MDA Labor Day Telethon.

Foy helped put together the band (Micky Dolenz, Michael Nesmith, Peter Tork and Davy Jones) for The Monkees and worked on other series including The Donna Reed Show, Naked City, Dennis the Menace, Route 66, Julia, Room 222, That Girl, Soap, Hill Street Blues, Charlie's Angels, Mork & Mindy, Happy Days and Barney Miller.

Foy also helped cast such films as Planet of the Apes (1968), The Great White Hope (1970) and the blaxploitation pics Trouble Man (1972) and Together Brothers (1974).

Asked in a 2003 interview for the website The Interviews: An Oral History of Television what advice he would give to new casting directors, he replied: "Go read a little book called The Complete Works of Shakespeare. Find out about Noel Coward, Rodgers and Hammerstein, Lerner and Loewe and Edward Albee. Find out why Spencer Tracy and Miss [Katharine] Hepburn never took their clothes off and left their love to be your fantasy."

The New York City native also did some acting, appearing in Run Silent Run Deep (1958), and served as an associate producer on That Girl during its third season in 1968-69.

In 1959, Foy served as the cut man for featherweight boxing champion Davey Moore. He was on the board of the World Boxing Hall of Fame.

Foy was honored by the TV Academy for his contributions to the advancement of television casting.

Survivors include his wife of 23 years, Jan; daughter Dina and her husband Scott; stepchildren Tim and Laura; and grandchildren Faith and Jeziah.

Life celebrations are set for 1 p.m. on Saturday at Corona Friends Church in Corona, California, and at 7 p.m. on Monday at the DGA in Los Angeles.