Mary Ann Shore Inlow, 54 - Accomplice of Louisville's Most Notorious Killer, Mel Ignatow
The Kentucky Wizard
2004-08-29 05:46:31 UTC
Hopefully Mel Ignatow's death will soon follow.

Mary Ann Shore Inlow, the admitted accomplice of one of Louisville's
most notorious killers, Mel Ignatow, died Thursday. She was 54.
Inlow died at Hospice & Palliative Care of Louisville's inpatient unit
at Norton Healthcare Pavilion.

Her family declined to comment.

Inlow pleaded guilty in 1991 to tampering with physical evidence in
connection with Brenda Schaefer's Sept. 24, 1988, death, after making a
deal with prosecutors to testify against Ignatow, who'd been charged
with murder in the case. Inlow later testified that she took photos as
Ignatow sexually tortured Schaefer, 36, at a home Inlow rented on Poplar
Level Road. After the torture, Ignatow killed Schaefer.

He was acquitted of murder by a jury in Kenton County in 1991, but
eventually admitted to it.

He could not be retried because of the legal prohibition against double
jeopardy - being tried for the same crime twice.

A spokesman for Schaefer's family said yesterday that Inlow's death
"just basically brings it all back."

"We haven't given Mary Ann Shore much thought over the past few years,"
said Brenda Schaefer's brother, Mike Schaefer. "We'll never forget her,
but we don't think about her daily."

Inlow broke the murder case for investigators in January 1990, nearly 16
months after Schaefer disappeared. She led investigators to Schaefer's
shallow grave behind the house on Poplar Level Road and admitted helping
Ignatow bury Schaefer.

Inlow told police and FBI agents that she was present when Ignatow
tortured Schaefer, but that she had not witnessed the murder.

Inlow had dated Ignatow for 10 years before he began dating Schaefer.

Inlow was to be the star witness for the prosecution in Ignatow's murder
trial. But jurors later told The Courier-Journal that they found Ignatow
not guilty because they thought the prosecution had presented no
evidence linking him to the crime.

Inlow was released in 1995 from the Kentucky Correctional Institution
for Women near Pewee Valley after serving just over three years of a
five-year sentence on the tampering charge.

Ignatow, who is serving a nine-year sentence for perjury and being a
persistent felon at the Eastern Kentucky Correctional Complex, was
turned down for parole on June 12, 2003.

This is Ignatow's second sentence for perjury in relation to Schaefer's
murder. He previously served five years in federal prison for lying to
FBI agents and a federal grand jury about his involvement in Schaefer's
disappearance.

Ignatow said yesterday through a prison spokesman that he would have no
comment on Inlow's death.
--
© The Wiz ®
response
As you are no doubt aware by now, Mel's death did indeed follow - and in a most ironic way, by falling through a glass table in his home.
r***@gmail.com
2016-05-06 08:29:20 UTC
This has to be one of the worst cases of injustice I've heard n will ever hear in my life ! Just unbelievable !!
l***@gmail.com
2019-02-21 20:34:22 UTC
Anybody know the address of the house on poplar level?
mongo
2019-02-22 00:53:20 UTC
4921 Poplar Level Rd.
p***@gmail.com
2019-02-25 05:15:24 UTC
Jeffrey Norris
2021-08-09 02:14:36 UTC
Post by The Kentucky Wizard
[...]
I'm watching this case on the ID channel (Evil Lives Here: He Got Away with Murder) as I type this.

I grew up about 3 miles from Mary Ann Shore's house, where she and Ignatow perpetrated their evil. I went to what was Thomas Jefferson High School at the time, which was maybe 100-150 yards from the woods where they buried Ms. Schaefer's body. Not caring for school, we spent nearly every school day in those woods, doing what stupid kids do. For years, every time I rode by that place I always had fond memories of the things we did, and the fun we had. Then, after what happened, and to this day, the feelings are much different when I drive by. I'm an old man now, but one thought I always have is, as long as I'm alive Brenda Sue Schaefer will never be forgotten.

RIP Beauty Lady