Deathwatch: CBS cancels "Murphy Brown" re-boot
2018-11-29 17:13:14 UTC
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/murphy-brown-happy-together-end-initial-orders-cbs-1164428

November 28, 2018 9:00am PT
by Lesley Goldberg

'Murphy Brown,' 'Happy Together' to End After Initial Orders on CBS

As CBS continues to solidify its midseason lineup, both rookie series will make way on the schedule for freshman 'Fam' and the third season of 'Man With a Plan.'

CBS continues to solidify its midseason lineup.

A day after doubling down on unscripted fare come January, the network is firming up its comedy slate for 2019, with its Murphy Brown reboot and Damon Wayans Jr. vehicle Happy Together both ending their respective runs after their initial 13-episode orders. Both series will clear room on the schedule for the rookie comedy Fam and the third season of the Matt LeBlanc vehicle Man With a Plan. A return date for the fourth season of Life in Pieces will be announced at a later date.

For Murphy Brown, the rebooted series was always intended to be a closed-ended order of 13 episodes. The multicamera comedy, featuring the return of star Candice Bergen and from original creator Diane English, has underperformed (6.2 million total viewers and a 0.9 in the key 18-49 demo) in its prime Thursdays at 9:30 p.m. slot and remains in consideration for a renewal. Fellow multicam comedy Fam, starring Nina Dobrev and Tone Bell — which has already changed showrunners — will take over Murphy Brown's slot starting Thursday, Jan. 10.

Happy Together, meanwhile, is CBS' lone rookie series to not earn an order for additional episodes this season. The multicamera family comedy landed pilot season's biggest star in Happy Endings grad Wayans, who signed on with one of the largest talent deals of the year. The show is averaging a lackluster 4.7 million total viewers and 0.9 in the all-important adults 18-49 demographic. Happy Together will wrap its run and clear the way for Man With a Plan starting Monday, Feb. 4, at 8:30 p.m.

In addition to the fourth season of the single-camera comedy Life in Pieces, CBS has a crowded bench of dramas that remain unscheduled as Elementary and Instinct, in addition to rookies The Code andThe Red Line, await premiere dates. News on that front is expected to be announced in the coming days.

As for the fall freshman class of 2018, only CBS' Happy Together and NBC's I Feel Bad did not receive additional orders. (The jury is still out on a back order for Fox's Rel.)
Adam H. Kerman
2018-11-29 17:59:28 UTC
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/murphy-brown-happy-together-end-initial-orders-cbs-1164428
Broadcast networks hem and haw about cancellations. No one announces
them anymore, probably because no one wants to be the program executive
saddled with the first cancellation of the season.

Instead, it's said, "We're not extending our episode order for
production of the current season," then in May, it's not on the list of
shows that got an order for another season.

No one believes, "We unhappy with ratings but we're still thinking about
ordering episodes for next season," as that's almost always cancellation.
J.D. Baldwin
2018-11-29 18:32:13 UTC
For Murphy Brown, the rebooted series was always intended to be a
closed-ended order of 13 episodes. The multicamera comedy, featuring
the return of star Candice Bergen and from original creator Diane
English, has underperformed (6.2 million total viewers and a 0.9 in
the key 18-49 demo) in its prime Thursdays at 9:30 p.m. slot and
remains in consideration for a renewal.
What a ghastly disappointment this "reboot" was. It's as if they
completely forgot how incisive and witty it could be at its very best,
but remembered very well how sanctimonious and self-important it could
be at its worst.
m***@gmail.com
Murphy Brown was indeed a disappointment, however the episode that aired on the night of Thanksgiving was one of the most daring done on Network TV in awhile. Ostensibly about Murphy cooking Thanksgiving dinner with many laughs, it became a poignant and critical condemnation of immigration polices. It's always daunting task to mix comedy and politics equally within a sitcom, but in that particular episode it worked seamlessly.
J.D. Baldwin
2018-11-29 19:52:55 UTC
Post by m***@gmail.com
Murphy Brown was indeed a disappointment, however the episode that
aired on the night of Thanksgiving was one of the most daring done
on Network TV in awhile. Ostensibly about Murphy cooking
Thanksgiving dinner with many laughs, it became a poignant and
critical condemnation of immigration polices. It's always daunting
task to mix comedy and politics equally within a sitcom, but in that
particular episode it worked seamlessly.
I stopped watching about 1/3 of the way in to the second episode,
though I glanced at the third and fourth episodes as well. So I
didn't see any of the Thanksgiving episode. I won't dispute your
assessment of it as "poignant."

However, even without seeing it, based only on your description, I can
say one thing about it of which I am absolutely sure: when a bunch of
rich, privileged Hollywood asshole liberals start virtue-signalling
about topics like immigration from behind their gated communities and
high-security workplaces, the last thing it is is "daring."
m***@gmail.com
It was pretty down to Earth and the scene not hard to believe.
Harvey Fenwick Lung
2018-11-29 23:16:48 UTC
The only reason the reboot exists is to bash Trump.
I ejoyed the original series, but this one is too political.
I was angered by the Thankgiving episode and won't watch the rest.
xine
2018-11-30 01:37:33 UTC
According to Diane English's Twitter account the show hasn't been cancelled.

CBS is giving that tired Matt LeBlanc series a third go..... they should hold on for more than 13 episodes of Murphy Brown.